Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   BA biz class seats (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/ba-biz-class-seats-1076811/)

Celia Oct 27th, 2015 12:01 PM

BA biz class seats

I'll be flying in business class (Club World class) to London on a British Airways 747-400. I don't know whether I want an aisle seat or a window. If you're in a window seat, can you get out without disturbing the person in the aisle seat?

Thanks.

Jeff801 Oct 27th, 2015 12:44 PM

If you are 5'8" or taller, chances are you can get out of the window seat without disturbing the person in the aisle seat next to you. If you do disturb that person, you will certainly know about it during landing when the divider panel between the seats must be lowered.

I try to get a rear bulkhead seat so as to avoid the issue, even when traveling with my DW.

Gardyloo Oct 27th, 2015 12:51 PM

With a couple of exceptions on the upper deck, 62A/K and 64A/K, not if they're using the footstool or if the seat is in bed mode. Note it's not the person facing you, it's the person behind him/her that you'll encounter. And remember all the window seats face aft.

Most FFers feel 62 A/K are the best seats in the house, as they're upstairs and as exit rows offer unimpeded aisle access from the windows. 64 A/K are similar.

Celia Oct 28th, 2015 09:04 AM

Thanks to you both. 62 A/K and 64 A/K are taken, so I can't get them, and I'm way under 5'8". I usually prefer aisle, and since there are quite a few of them still open, I'll wait a few days and see. I hate to pay the $120 to guarantee a seat in advance, but I don't want to crawl over people either.

Gardyloo Oct 28th, 2015 09:12 AM

Either you crawl over them or they crawl over you.

AZLionGal Oct 28th, 2015 09:51 AM

I'm height challenged (5'3"), but I still prefer a window seat as it has more privacy. Unless you get up from your seat many, many times during the flight I'd rather sit in window seat then in the aisle and deal with people walking around and the carts that deliver food and drinks. I find the Bus Class window seats very private, for sleeping and eating also with the privacy screen up. 64K in Upper Deck is my favorite, but with the smaller cabin I would think any window seat would be fine. Just my opinion.

janisj Oct 28th, 2015 11:40 AM

They charge $120 to reserve a seat . . . in <i>business</i>? Wow.

historytraveler Oct 28th, 2015 02:54 PM

I've been flying BA for years and only once did I pay to reserve a seat in advance. Never done it since and certainly would not spend $120 to do so.

They assign seats and when you go online 24 hours before flight departure you do have the opportunity to change seats, although your choice may be somewhat limited. I don't think I've ever changed. Usually given a window seat, and they may know this is my preference but, honestly, have flown on a variety of seat assignments and have found that it's really not all that important. As long as I'm not next to the galley or the toilet, I've fine.