Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Atlanta airport layover time, 50 minutes is it long enough (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/atlanta-airport-layover-time-50-minutes-is-it-long-enough-371744/)

gatorhunter Jun 3rd, 2008 08:44 AM

Atlanta airport layover time, 50 minutes is it long enough

I'm flying Delta from SFO into Atlanta and changing planes to Jacksonville Fl. I've been to this airport only twice not being a regular flyer of Delta. I'm arriving at 6:08 am and leaving for JAX at 7:00 am. Does anyone have any idea if a older male with a bum knee can make this connection? Any ideas? I've thought about getting someone from the airport to push me around in a wheel chair. Thank you one and all for any ideas.

wally34949 Jun 3rd, 2008 09:25 AM

Your connection could be across the isle or on a different terminal. Just make sure you check the map and don't go the wrong way and you should be ok. There is a train if you need to go to a different terminal. Just check the map in the inside pocket of the plane. They usually tell you what gate the plane is landing at.

rkkwan Jun 3rd, 2008 09:45 AM

A red-eye coming into ATL that early is unlikely to be delayed. In fact, chances are you'll be early. So, no issue.

wally gives you good information. But ATL calls the separate structures where the plane goes to as "concourses", which they have six - T, A, B, C, D and E. Just change all "terminals" in wally's post to "concourses". [At ATL, "terminal" mean something else, and it doesn't apply to you.]

gail Jun 3rd, 2008 09:58 AM

My husband made a 35 minute connection at Atlanta this AM and it involved taking the train to a different terminal. Obviously it all depends on if flight #1 is on time. Since DL has several flights/day ATL-JAX, if your flight is significantly delayed leaving SFO, call DL and have them reserve you seat on a later flight.

FainaAgain Jun 3rd, 2008 01:04 PM

When is your flight from SFO, month and time of the day? SFO is known for fog delays, this is why many of us prefer to fly out of OAK.

gatorhunter Jun 3rd, 2008 02:47 PM

My flight is at 10:30 p.m.. I live in the Bay Area and have flown out of SFO lots of times. I usually have a flight to Houston or Dallas to JAX but this trip was extremely cheap and couldn't pass it up. But thank you for the warning on the fog at SFO.

wally34949 Jun 4th, 2008 04:51 AM

You may want to sit near the front of the SFO to Atlanta plane. If you are sitting in the back of the plane, your blood pressure will begin to rise as you see how long it takes for people to get off the plane.

I was on a flight where a lady blocked the isle waiting for her wheelchair. I guess she thought everyone had gotten off the plane or just didn't care.

gatorhunter Jun 4th, 2008 12:12 PM

I wish to thank all of you for your response. I do know about the lady with her wheel chair. There must have been thirty people mine held up for her chair to arrive at last i was not waiting for another plane on that trip. By the time i had gotten to baggage claim my bags were all but coming out onto the beltway.