ATL to Bangalore - Layover CDG - Help me prepare

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just booked our flights ATL - BLR- with a 4.5 hour layover in CDG. I know not to expect to do much of anything... but I'd love some tips about what to expect. We'll be travelling with three kids (10,7 and 4).

We land at 6:10am and depart at 10:45am.

Reviewing my itinerary I don't get any sense of terminals and transfers.

Any thoughts on how far we'll have to haul in the airport? Trains/transfers? If we plan to stop for coffee and something - just to pass the time. Where should we do that. My usual plan would be to get all the way to where we need to be and then find something but I've read about getting to places with limited selection if you proceed too far.

I've read enough to know there is no "gem" of a dining experience to enjoy at CDG.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 12:54 PM

Both AF and DL flights from ATL arrive at 2E. AF to BLR departs from 2C. You will take an airside shuttle bus from 2E to 2C. No need to go through immigration. Once you get into 2C, there are some cafes there.
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much rkkwan... what does "airside" mean though?

I also read a long confusing thread about lounges at CDG for delta passengers. We have a Delta Reserve card but that won't give INTL lounges. The Delta website says a 30 day pass offers access to Air France Lounge. Not sure if we'd bother...but wondering how good the lounge is.
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 05:57 PM

Airside means you remain in the gate area behind security and immigration, and not the public area. In fact, you will remain in the "non-Schengen" area - meaning you will not go through immigration.

By all means use the AF Lounge if you have access. They are much nicer than staying out in the regular waiting area. They should have breakfast and snack items during your layover there.

This is the one for CDG 2C, copied from airfrance.us:

The Air France lounge
- Opening hours: 5:30 AM – 14:30 PM & 17:00 PM - 22:30 PM
- Location within the airport: Termial 2C, after security (airside), gate C83
- Buffet and beverages
- Newspapers
- Wi-Fi
- Computers available with Internet access
- Sharp LCD screen
- Massage area
- Restrooms
- Shower
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Transfer to 2C from 2E was pretty seamless off of ATL flight at 5:45 am. Had to gather liquids that had been redistributed through carryon and chug water to go again through security with requirement to separate liquids.

There was nothing open at that hour and we waited almost 2 hours for coffee and roll.
Determined that husband had lounge access as Gold member for Delta and one guest, but the kids were no go and no option to buy access

Apparently it looked fantastic - as he glanced from desk - meat and cheese spread and stack of nespressos. But he left it and joined us for the long wait for coffee.

Certainly it could be worse but agree with others that CDG is a less than ideal place to pass a layover.

DH husband returns from BLR solo and will get to go into that lounge on return trip.
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:48 AM

"CDG is a less than ideal place to pass a layover." Very True! At least you made your flight. We missed ours earlier this month despite a two-hour window because the passport control folks were too busy flirting with the college coeds on our arriving flight to do their job.
To borrow from Dante, a sign should be placed at the entrances of CDG for everyone trying to catch a flight there: Abandon all hope, ye who enter.
Old May 31st, 2011, 10:05 AM

Sfmaster,
Thanks for checking back and letting everyone know your experience. Always great to see follow-up.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 12:10 AM
Original Poster

Our return journey gives us about 2.5 hours so I'll thanks for the tip that although we seemed to have endless time on the way there it can get tricky. I'll keep my liquids ready to go (plus I'll be solo with 3 young children! Ack!).
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

So now I am gearing up for return flight. Delta/AF changed timings which resulted in a 1hr 15 min layover in IAD which was highlighted on my itnerary as insufficient and to call Delta. The rebooking on other flights was leading me towards a six hour layover at IAD (after two long INTL flights) before getting to ATL. At time of booking the direct flights were a few hundred more per ticket and when doing it times five we decided to swallow the 2 stop return. But mercy mercy the representative rebooked me direct to ATL vs long layover at IAD. BUT now I have only two hours and five minutes to transfer at CDG.

Any other tips to prepare for landing from BLR and then heading to ATL? I know that things could go wrong or it will all be fine.

BTW My husband enjoyed his GOLD status and access to lounges in BLR and CDG.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 11:42 AM

sfmaster -- thanks for checking back in; I always like to see the "follow ups" to hear what happened, and/or how it all went.