Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

ATL-JFK-IST connection, baggage and smoking questions

May 18th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Delta connection in JFK at 12:04 p.m. for 4:30 p.m. flight to IST. Should I check my bag in ATL all the way through to IST, or should I check bag to JFK, pick it up and recheck to IST?

Also, will I be able to go outside terminal 3 to smoke? (Please be nice to me; no smoking lectures.) Do I have enough time?
May 18th, 2008, 12:15 PM

You will check your bag all the way through, no need to pick it up.

You will have plenty of time to have a smoke. The plane will be another issue, however, so best of luck.
May 18th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response. I've had bad luck once before with my bag being misrouted on an international connection. (I determined that it must have happened in Frankfurt.) Sometimes I do check the bag and then recheck it if there are couple of legs and if I think I have time. I know I am paranoid like that sometimes and I'm not that familiar with JFK.

I just don't want to get into a sticky situation in JFK trying to smoke and then going back through security.

Thanks again!
May 24th, 2008, 10:52 AM

We just flew DCA-JFK-IST and checked through from DCA with no problems at all.
May 24th, 2008, 02:25 PM

Lucy_d,
I might suggest to you that when you go out for a smoke only take your cigs, boarding pass, and ID. That way when you go back through security you don't have the hassle of purse, carry on etc.
May 24th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Ruff. That's most reassuring.

Poochie, great idea! I usually fly by myself and always have to carry my stuff with me in and out. I surely would have done the same this time if not for your suggestion. I just wouldn't have thought about it. I am actually traveling with someone this time, and will be able to leave my bags when I go outside.

Thanks again for posting and not being mean to me about smoking.
May 24th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Lucy_d,
Have a great trip.
BTW, I'll be flying from FLL-JFK-BKK. With my VERY TIGHT connection I won't have time to make the "Bad Girls" club. I'm jealous!!!

May 25th, 2008, 09:11 AM

I have to admit that on my first ever trip thru ATL, a few weeks ago, I was so surprised at the smoking lounge! Only other airport I have ever seen that in is LV. I may be wrong, but I do not believe I ever saw that in any other airport than those 2---not even in Europe where smoking is still very much the norm.
May 25th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

socialworker, If you are referring to the smoking lounge in the international terminal, yes, they were added/refurbished/decorated in 96 when Atlanta hosted the summer Olympics. They are quite large and have tvs.

OTOH, there are a few other small and disgusting smoking rooms scattered throughout the airport,but I wouldn't set foot in one as the ventilation is so poor that even one who can tolerate the smell of cigarette smoke could pass out from the haze. Yuk!
May 25th, 2008, 11:30 AM

I know of smoking areas in Atlanta, Miami, and Tampa airports. Any others?

Las Vegas smoking areas are gone.
May 25th, 2008, 04:08 PM

Salt Lake City use to have one.
May 25th, 2008, 06:20 PM

I'm not a smoker and sure don't want to aid and abet anybody's habit but I have seen smoking lounges in St. Louis and Tampa. The Tampa one is actually outdoors, and the people are enclosed in this small "cage" that allows them to go outside but not leave the secure area.

I'm curious: For those of you who do smoke, considering that it's prohibited on flights and in most conencting airports you'll pass through, do you use nicotine patches or gum to get through what could be a trip of several hours?
May 25th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Jeff, I usually tough it out on domestic flights. On international flights, I have used the gum a couple of times in the past, but it tasted like an ashtray and don't recommend it. Now, it's usually a Xanax and a couple of glasses of wine to sleep; then I don't have to think about it. It's when I hit the ground that I race toward the outdoors.
May 25th, 2008, 10:35 PM

I'm the first to admit that I'm an avid anti-smoker, but I do understand that it's got to be tough to go without. It must be especially tough if you're at all nervous about flying or aggravated about delays (of which there are many these days).
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:52 PM

I'm not a smoker but I've spent enough time in the St. Louis airport to know that there is at least one smoking lounge there.

Tracy