Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Arriving into Frankfurt from US - time to get to flight to Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/arriving-into-frankfurt-from-us-time-to-get-to-flight-to-italy-774554/)

Badger5 Mar 22nd, 2009 06:31 PM

Arriving into Frankfurt from US - time to get to flight to Italy

Hello,

What would the sufficient time be between flights if flying into Frankfurt and then out to Italy (Florence) arriving from the US on Lufthansa. I have two choices - one with a 1hr 50 min time frame and one with 1hour.

Also, once I arrive in Frankfurt, do I have to retrieve my luggage, or will it go on directly to Florence? Do I go thru customs/immigration. Or, do I just go directly to my next flight since I am no yet at my final destination? Finally, since they will not give a seat assignment/boarding pass for the flight to Florence until we get to Frankfurt, do I go directly to my gate and get it there?

Thank you for your help with a newbie traveller.

rkkwan Mar 22nd, 2009 08:35 PM

Immigration and security. You should be able to get your FRA-FLR boarding pass with seat assigned when you checked in for your flight from the US.

You won't see your bags at FRA.

Take the 1:50 connection.

dfr4848 Mar 23rd, 2009 07:32 AM

Agree. Assume this is all on LH (?). We've done this twice (and once with connection to FCO). The longer connection is better because you'll likely have a real hike to your connecting flight. And you may have 2 security/passport checks. The signage is easy to follow, but FRA is a very large, spread out airport. You can get boarding passes at your initial check-in.

Debi Mar 23rd, 2009 12:02 PM

I agree with the above - take the 1:50..... for all of the reasons spelled out above.

J62 Mar 23rd, 2009 04:44 PM

I've made 45min connections in FRA and missed 2hr connections. The latter due to delayed departure from the US. Making the 45min connection involved some sprinting and only having carry-on luggage. Even 1hr connections I've had to hustle due to lines at immigration and long distance.

Agreed with all the above posters - take the 1:50.

JoanneH Mar 24th, 2009 07:41 AM

The place is a zoo take the 1.50 connection.

Fabio Mar 27th, 2009 03:03 PM

You will go thru customs/immigration in FRA, as the intra-EU flights are like domestic flights, so take the 1:50 hrs layover. If you then have some time left you can walk and stretch around te shops. LH flights are operated within A and part of B area. In the event that you arrive at B and proceed from A or viceversa, you will have quite a long walk through a sub-tunnel. Once you arrive at the FLR flight gate you will be boarding a bus for a 5-10 minutes ride to the very west end of the airport where the Lufthansa Cityline flights to FLR are parked. It is an AVRO 85 aircraft, about 90 seats.

Have a nice trip.