Notices

Arriving at JFK from europe at 5pm

Apr 14th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Arriving at JFK from europe at 5pm

Hi!

Me and my girlfriend are arriving at JFK on a sunday in june about 5pm in terminal 4. We are flying with KLM and have a flight to florida at 7pm. Also with KLM from terminal 4.

How long time will immigration take, is it going to be enough time? Do we have to claim luggage and check it in again ?
Apr 14th, 2013, 07:17 PM

Your flight to Florida is operated by Delta, but it doesn't matter. Even though your bags are tagged to your final destination, you clear US immigration, claim bags, go through customs, then drop the bags to Delta, and finally reclear security. 2 hours is adequate. For US citizen or resident, expect an hour from the door opens on the first flight to get to your connecting gate.
Apr 15th, 2013, 10:42 AM

I arrived last month from the Dominican Republic on Sunday at 5pm and spent a bit over an hour in the immigration line as a U.S. citizen. This was in Terminal 4, where the KLM flight arrives as well (though I can't tell you that you will spend exactly the same amount of time in line as I did ... and if you are not a U.S. citizen it's possible that you could wait a bit longer). You will have to recheck your bags for the Florida flight after you go through Customs. My wait in immigration was so long that all the bags from our flight had already been taken off the belt and were sitting in the hallway in the baggage claim hall.

Delta domestic flights depart from Terminal 3, so after you pick up and re-check your bags, you'll have to take the Airtrain, which will take a few minutes.

My best guess is that you may or may not make the flight depending on how the lines go at immigration. There is a separate line for those with tight connections. I'd recommend you do everything in your power to get in that line, which is usually shorter.

It's sad to say, but these days two hours is simply not always adequate to change from an international to a domestic flight at JFK.
Apr 15th, 2013, 02:48 PM

Seek out the airline rep for Delta and see if he/she can get you ihtothe quick line. It has happened for me several times..If you don't ask you don't get!!!

Search this Thread