Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Anyone tried Turkish Airlines for long flights before? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/anyone-tried-turkish-airlines-for-long-flights-before-1087881/)

johngr Feb 26th, 2016 05:52 AM

Anyone tried Turkish Airlines for long flights before?

Hi, I have found a cheap ticket to Boston with a stopover in Istanbul. I have experienced Turkish Airlines only in a short flight before (Istanbul-Antalya economy class), so I need some advices. My experience was good, they even served meal in that short period of time and I had enough legroom. I heard that they give a flying kit in which you can find everything you need and serve really nice meals for multiple times during long flights. They also offer free Istanbul tour during stopovers but I've already been there, so it's not relevant for now. I haven't seen anyone complained but still wanted to hear some opinions. Thanks!

abram Feb 26th, 2016 05:44 PM

We flew Chicago -Istanbul and back on Turkish Air. A pleasant experience, given that we were in coach.

wally34949 Feb 27th, 2016 05:03 AM

Still 9 across on the 777's. Many airlines are doing 10.

LeslieC Feb 27th, 2016 10:44 AM

We wanted to go to Tanzania and Rwanda in 2013. I found my best routing and price (coach) on Turkish Air so we added a 3 day stopover in Istanbul as we had never been their before. We were very happy with Turkish Air. The nicest Coach experience I've ever had; good food, comfort kit, free wine, in-seat entertainment, very nice crew. I would definitely fly them again. Our routing was open jaw LAX - IST - JRO. We made our way to Rwanda later and came home from Kigali - IST - LAX. All flights were on time.

Sassafrass Mar 6th, 2016 06:32 AM

Our best flights in recent years were on Turkish Air.

doug_stallings Mar 9th, 2016 05:27 AM

Turkish Air is widely considered one of the better European carriers, even in economy.

tomseeley Mar 9th, 2016 12:25 PM

Our daughter has used them frequently both direction btwn US and Central Asia where she lives, always with a plane change in Istanbul and as I recall always with favorable experience. Only caveat I can think of right now would be how you feel about whatever is going on in turkey socially and politically. That'd be your call b

gertie3751 Mar 9th, 2016 02:58 PM

I am a complete convert to Turkish Airlines. We used them from IAH through IST to KIX at Christmas. Wonderful experience all round. I am a refugee from United where I am tired of being pushed around, treated rudely, crammed into a small space, not given any decent food or drink...etc..etc. Never again. I am booking TK from IAH through IST to Central Asia this year. And you get to stop over in the most interesting city in the world as a bonus!!

cabovacation Apr 27th, 2016 09:04 PM

I agree with Gertie. United has made me like almost any other airline.

Turkish is the best, imho. And - yes - IST is the most interesting city in the world.

If you fly Business or First the food is phenomenal.

Service is always superb.

annw Apr 28th, 2016 09:17 AM

Only flew VCE to IST and then IST to SFO in Business; I thought it was great!