Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Anyone had luck negotiating for lower price after fare drops?

Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after months (and months!) of watching the airfares on every single site that sells tickets, we booked our tickets to Greece in late March, as prices seemed to be edging up. Because I am a masochist, I just checked the prices again tonight. You can book the same trip for $600 less ($300 less per ticket). I'm a little irritated that I did so much planning, watching, and waiting, and then still got screwed. But that said, I'm excited for the trip and won't let this ruin it.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck negotiating a lower price when the price drops so dramatically. FWIW, we booked through Expedia, which had the lowest prices at the time, but doesn't offer any price-reduction guarantee. Tips/advice?
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:51 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/air-...with-yapta.cfm
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:09 PM

Chelsey, sorry to hear about you situation. AAFrequentFlyer is right, it really does depend on the carrier and the type of ticket you purchased. You should consult your carrier's contract of carriage.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that often when you purchase through a third party(Expedia), it is more difficult (if not impossible) to renegotiate price or even change your itinerary. Normal fees for the same services might cost more if you book through a third party instead of booking directly through the airline.

It won't help you this time, but in the future check out Farecast.com. After entering your flight search information it tells you whether the fare is expected to go up or down in the near future. It also tells you how confident the Farecast prediction is.

Anyway, have fun in Greece and if you can't change it, don't sweat it!
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:44 AM

What everyone else said - but to be honest, I wouldn't hold my breath getting a discount (doesn't hurt to try, I guess) - because since I don't want them to change the price of my ticket when the prices go up, I certainly wouldn't expect them to lower my price when it goes down.... But, quit checking the prices - you were fine with the price when you bought them - don't spend anymore time second guessing yourself....
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:08 AM

You can sometimes rebook tickets at the lower price, but then you so frequently get hit with the dreaded reticketing fee. That can be $150-200, depending on the terms of your ticket. It eats into any savings.

As everyone here seems to be saying, don't torment yourself by looking at prices after you buy the ticket. Go and enjoy Greece. It will be a great trip.