Anyone fly UA from CDG into USA since 12/24

Jan 2nd, 2010, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Anyone fly UA from CDG into USA since 12/24

The UA website gives new rules for flying from certain Eurpoean cities into the US. Paris is not one mentioned. Has anyone flown the CDG route on UA into the US since the terrorist attempt on Xmas day? If so were there new baggage rules? What about the nothing on your lap the last hour? Thanks
Jan 5th, 2010, 10:30 AM

I flew Air France out of CDG to IAD yesterday and experienced new screening and baggage rules. The screening was certainly in effect for all flights going to the US. For baggage, we were allowed one carry-on and I was checked for this at my originating airport (Venice Marco Polo). I did, though, see people with a small purse and a carry one -- go figure -- no consistent enforcement.

With respect to screening, it was very elaborate and time consuming. Our flight left an hour late because of it. You go through the regular screening (strip and scan)and then they have set aside one end of one concourse (2E at CDG) for screening for flights to the US. You have your coat and carry on bags checked by hand. Then, you have to take off your shoes and you are frisked and wanded. You have to lift up each foot to have the bottom of your feet inspected. Then, they check your shoes. I had a chapstick in the pocket of my pants and I had to take that out prior to the frisking.

We were not allowed to have anything in our laps when we started our descent. This was about one hour out. Didn't seem to pertain to books just to blankets. We also couldn't get up to use the bathroom. The flight crew gave us a 10 minute warning and so there was a mad dash to the bathrooms.
Jan 5th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much! I've heard conflicting reports on flights into US. I gather Obama may come out with some new guidelines shortly so it could all change by the time we return. Guess we need to leave plenty of time at CDG -- u think 3 hours will be okay?
Jan 5th, 2010, 01:32 PM

That frisking and wanding is nothing new to those of us with artificial joints! Have to go through it every time. But I can see how that would slow everything down, big time.
Jan 5th, 2010, 04:48 PM

I flew in from Bangkok/Tokyo to Chicago yesterday. Bangkok had added one extra bag search, right after passport control. Passport control lines were very long and very slow. Glad I had enough time! Everyone got wanded, and all carry on bags were opened for inspection just prior to entering the seating area for the flight.

Tokyo had an extra security check at the end of the jetway, just before the door to the plane! It was an open inspection of all carry on bags and a full body frisking, not just a quick frisking.

A flight attendant was telling the person sitting next to me (NRT to ORD leg) that we might expect the last hour to be in our seats, nothing in our laps, etc. but we did not do that. Or at least, we weren't TOLD to put everything away and stay in our seats. I think the seatbelt light was on for maybe the last 30 minutes??
Jan 5th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Forgot to mention the map feature. There is still a map, with an icon of a plane, but all it shows is a dotted line from point A to point B. No more information about how long you have until you land, how many miles, or where you are on that dotted route line. Just a map with a plane icon that doesn't move, and a dotted line that shows you where you are going to end up, at some point in the future. Wear and watch, and set it to your arrival time zone!!!
Jan 5th, 2010, 08:33 PM

No, I don't think three hours is enough. We've been allowing 3 hours or more since before 9/11. Usually, there's plenty of time to spare, but there have been occasions when we barely caught the plane, so arrive earlier and earlier.

Much depends on the airline and terminal. Air France and 2E are a breeze. Some of the others are just not organized and/or are way understaffed.

From what I've been reading on other forums, there's a second security check ahead of boarding, and flights are often delayed an hour or two.

At any rate, it's better to have extra time at CDG than miss your flight. You also have to allow plenty of transit time to CDG - things happen.
Jan 6th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Geez, really? we always allow about 2 hours for CDG and haven't even come close to being anywhere near late or even rushed so far. We're UA so other terminal. Of course we've been to Paris tons of time in the Winter and never hit frigid weather, so always a first time for anything. Thanks for all the advice!
Jan 6th, 2010, 12:05 PM

Personally I have no idea but some travellers were being interviewed on NPR yesterday, think is was their "All Things Considered" program and one fellow said he was checked three times flying from CDG before his flight to the US. It sounded like he had just arrived in the US so probably his flight was yesterday or the day before. I assume his comments were accurate. He wasn't complaining just relating his experience. Full body pat down for sure!
Jan 6th, 2010, 01:51 PM

Pre-flight inspections:
I flew Air France from CDG to JFK yesterday, connecting at CDG from BCN. My experience regarding screening at CDG was the same as artsbabe described: passport control (long); then, at concourse 2E, regular screening; just before the gate-area, hand inspection of carry-on bags and shoes, and frisking and wanding of each person. I failed to remove the key to my TSA lock from my pocket and it set off the wand. We were told there would be an additional inspection at the jetway as we boarded. However it did not happen, as far as I know. This may have been because of over a two-hour delay due to a "technical problem" with the aircraft, an airbus 380. Airline personnel distributed sandwiches and water to everyone as we waited. The process was efficient, but terribly time-consuming. I had four hours between flights and am glad I had the extra time.

On-board:
The map feature appeared as a world map, but did not show details and progress of flight. We could not use restrooms the last hour of the flight, but were able to keep and use blankets. We could not use cell phones on landing before disembarking.

There were several announcements for other flights of 1-hour delays in take-off to allow for passengers to clear passport control and inspections.
Jan 7th, 2010, 04:18 AM

We had 3 1/2 hours at CDG between flights going from IAD to Venice and less than 2 coming back because our flight from Venice to CDG was delayed an hour. I was very nervous about the less than 2 hours but we actually made it to the second tier of security screening in 30 to 45 minutes -- I was astonished and I think it was a fluke.
Jan 7th, 2010, 10:28 AM

I flew AirFrance from CDG to SFO on January 4th. Extra screening at gate. Full hand searches of purses and all carry ons; full body pat downs, hand wanding, including shoes. This resulted in about a one and 1/2 to two hour delay of the flight. You can keep your sealed bottle of water if you could produce a receipt. They were making people throw away opened bottles even if they had a receipt.

During the flight one could use laptops until the last hour; then everything had to be put away. We weren't allowed to even keep and use blankets the last 20 minutes before landing(the blankets had to go on the floor). One could keep their reading material. The map feature of the flight gave full detail as usual throughout the flight.
Jan 7th, 2010, 06:23 PM

Can you take and use your Kindle instead of a book?
Jan 16th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

Well, per the advice here we left very early to ensure we had enough time for our CDG check in. Took less than hour from the St Paul Metro (Marais) to the RER B to the UA check-in. 5 mins to check a bag and then 5 minutes or so to walk to the gate and go security. No line yet at security and breezed thru. I imagine it will get more crowded closer to boarding time which is in about 2 hours.