Anyone else have tix on US Air?

Old Sep 20th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Anyone else have tix on US Air?

We have tickets on US Air for February. Yikes - it is NOT looking good!

Anyone else in the same boat? Any predictions on when (or if) you think they will liquidate?

Unfortunately my tix are non-refundable so nothing I can do right now excpet wait it out and hope for the best.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 12:23 PM

Lots of people have tickets on USAir - especially for peak travel times. Lots of predictions and advice here regarding what to do, what will happen, etc. But no one really KNOWS - we are all just guessing, some more educated than others. I suggest you do a search here, but you will only be getting opinions. I am not even sure the boss of USAir knows what the future will bring.

We have tickets on USAir to bring our son home from college for Thanksgiving and are fortunate enough to have enough FF miles on another airline so we have booked a back-up. We also have 2 tickets to travel to FL during Feb school vacation - are not booking back-up and will just deal with not going if airline is not flying.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 01:49 PM

We booked through US Airways for our trip in January to Hawaii. US Airways from the east coast to San Francisco, and then United Airlines (their partner) to Maui ... We too have non-refundable airline tickets.

And, we have rented a condo for two weeks on Maui (also non-refundable).

I think there are lots of us in the same boat, unfortunately. It's a wait and see situation...
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I did a search. The stuff I found was pertaining mostly to ff miles etc...

I was really just curious as to how others are handling their air plans.

It is fun to get opinions - I am well aware that no one knows what will happen - even tomorrow let alone 5-6 months out.

My "prediction" is that they will hold on until the end of the year but after that all bets are off.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 01:55 PM

All I'd suggest is to pay extra to get paper tickets issued. This way, if US Airways completely shut down, you'll still have something in your hand that other airlines (or the bankruptcy court) may honor.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 07:53 PM

Well, I want all you USAir travelers to rest easy. I have personally rescued all of you from the airline's demise by booking tickets using FF miles into Amsterdam and out of Munich in October. I was just short of enough miles for two first class tickets and had been trying to amass mileage to reach that point. Based on all the rumblings about the airline folding after the first of the year, I caved booked today. Now that I've booked the airline should continue to fly indefinitely.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 08:11 PM

that'a a relief, thanks Betsy!
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 08:17 PM

Re: gail's comment "not even sure the boss of USAir knows ..."

The Washington Post Sept 14, 2004
US Airways Miscalculated Financial Needs
Mistake Contributed to Cash Crisis

US Airways Group Inc. executives underestimated by about $1.3 billion the airline's needed revenue for healthy operations, a miscalculation made during the first Chapeter 11 reorganization that helped pitch the carrier into bankruptcy protection a second time, an attorney for the Arlington-based airline told a bankruptcy court judge yesterday.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 04:42 AM

To mrwunrfl - I am not sure whether this means the boss knows what is going on or s/he does not. In any case, my guess is that if they actually stop flying it will be on very short notice - or else even more people wioll just stop buying tickets.

Just got an email from USAir advertising a great 48 hour fare sale - some of the prices were great - but I am not biting.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 06:26 AM

Pretty much the same way Midway (and others) went out -- big flurry toward the end trying to draw people onto planes, but somewhere at the top and very secretively, it seems to have been a day-to-day decision whether to fly one more day or week. Then BOOM, we wake up to news stories that employees and passengers arrive at the terminal to find it shut down and no immediate information given out. Then within 24 hrs., an announcement " XXX Airlines regretfully announces......." . I hope the USAirlines employees do better than Midway's as far as collecting the paycheck for their last weeks of service. Seems I remember Midway shut down at the end of a pay period but didn't issue checks -- maximize last dabs of revenue without outflow. Cynical. Typical.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 08:08 AM

<All I'd suggest is to pay extra to get paper tickets issued. This way, if US Airways completely shut down, you'll still have something in your hand that other airlines (or the bankruptcy court) may honor>

Forget about the bankruptcy court helping you. They are there to help secured creditors first. By the time they get to FF tickets....there won't be anything left.

I, also, have tix in May on partner airlines using USAir miles. Al I can do is hope that my paper reward tix will be honored on United, Lufthansa, and BMI.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 08:27 AM

I totally agree with Dick. I really don't understand why people think that paper tickets have some sort of guaranteed protection. THEY DON'T. The do have a better chance of being accepted but in no way they guarantee anything.

E-tickets will disappear into the electronic wasteland the day the issuing airline announces liquidation. Paper ticket will ONLY be good if the other airline decides that for whatever reason it may actually get some money for the ticket and they have am empty seat anyway. But if they decide that the ticket is not worth the paper it's printed on, all you will end up with is a nice little memorabilia item that maybe you could sell on e-Bay in 10 years.

And as Dick said, forget about filing claim in the bankrupcy court. The top secured creditors usually only get pennies on the dollar by the time everything gets sorted out, so the $250 ticket holder would be told to go home and forget about it.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 02:54 PM

I just bought tickets last week that have us flying on US Airways over Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, there aren't many options between ORD and JAX, and that was by far the most reasonable.

What I did was purchase the tickets from United Airlines as codeshare flights -- United flight numbers on US Airways metal -- which was only a couple of dollars more than purchasing the same routing directly from US Airways. I'm hoping that, plus elite status on UA, means that UA will try to get us there (subject to availability, of course) if US Airways can not.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 03:21 PM

Nice move. You are totally protected. It may be a day from hell if something goes wrong, but UA will get you there one way or another. You purchased a UA ticket, not USAir.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 06:14 PM

Nobody says a paper ticket has extra protection, and I hope I wasn't leading anybody to believe that.

What it does is offer you a better chance and faster way to have another airline to get you to your destination, in case US Air does shut down. You think you can just bring a home computer printout of a USAirways itinerary to AA's counter, and they'll let you on to a flight? If so, then, I can easily print a few on my own and get on some free flights.

And if you reread my post, you'll see that I put bankruptcy court in parantheses. That means I have my doubts about if and how much one can get back from your tickets too, and it's not important. Or else I'd have put them in bold instead.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 10:25 AM

From now until November of this year (anybody know the exact date and whether this is likely to be extended?), you have some rights under the Aviation and Transportation Security Act to request transportation on a space available basis on another carrier if US Air ceases to operate. To exercise your rights, you need to provide proof that you have a valid ticket for travel. The best proof is in the form of a paper ticket. I think it carries a lot more weight than an e-ticket confirmation. I have e-ticket confirmations for reservations that I later cancelled. In the event of a complete cessation of service, there's no way for another carrier to verify whether you're really holding a valid US Air ticket.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Yes, proof of your ticket and $25. The big catch here (as you stated) is you have to fly stand-by. I think the deadline is November 18th - but don't quote me.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:24 PM

Here is what happens....
Once the airline goes under nobody else takes the tickets since they have no value. Remember the other carrier has to get paid for the seat and if US air goes under nobody pays...
The other carriers might offer you a deal to pay a process fee of 25usd and fly stand by...BUT in order to do that YOU MUST have the ticket number, if you don't, you can't fly. It does not matter if you have a paper tkt or etkt as long as you have the tkt number.
Then when you fly stanb by, you fly after all the employees and buddy passes, with the lowest priority.
Remember the other airlines don't have to bail you out...but for 25usd you might get a ride.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:28 PM

Anydody heard about the Delta Catering problem. Their catering service decided not to provide any service fearing they might not get paid by a possible bankrupt Delta.
Delta instead gave 8 dollar vouchers to those passengers scheduled in meal flights including their business passengers so they could carry something on board...
Today, they were back to normal...
Just not good for business
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 09:37 PM

Just booked an itinerary from SFO-PHL -AMS and MUC-PHL-SFO for October. Their 48-hour sale must have been successful because I was not able to snag good seats on either leg in both directions. That means full flights. Aargh...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO