Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Anyone been to Hong Kong? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/anyone-been-to-hong-kong-278880/)

Clare Dec 10th, 2002 09:38 PM

Anyone been to Hong Kong?

I am a U.S. citizen wanting to visit Hong Kong in the winter season. Does anyone know what documents I will need for travel? Also, Japan Airlines and Korean Air have lower fares to that city from my home... which has better service overall?<BR><BR>Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Rocky Dec 11th, 2002 05:18 AM

C-<BR>Need a passport,valid for 1 month beyond your expected departure date.No visa is required if you are going to stay less than 3 months.I have never flown Korean Air.Japan Airlines is very pleasant I have found.But take my comments as others with a grain of salt.I always travel coach and I am very flexible.

Joe Dec 11th, 2002 12:18 PM

Correction to Rocky: The passport must be valid for 6 months beyond your stay.

catherine Dec 12th, 2002 05:04 PM

I've travelled via korean Airlines from HK to US cities. The service is good but do mind the flight schedule, you may stay at Seoul airport for more than 3-4 hrs waiting for next connection to HK.

clare Dec 12th, 2002 11:36 PM

perhaps i shall rephrase for those of you who like to be difficult...<BR><BR>'travel advice for hong kong, please'<BR><BR>...please respond with answers regarding travel documentation, Korean Air, and Japan Airlines. thank you for those who have helped me, and thank you in advance who those who offer assistance.

Rocky Dec 13th, 2002 05:10 AM

Clare<BR>Your question in the original post was<BR>Clear<BR>Concise<BR>Pay no attention to the distractors.<BR>R

J Dec 19th, 2002 11:48 AM

Been to Hong Kong, SAR, many times, all u need is a valid passport up to 6 mths, if you want to enter Mainland China, you'll need a VISA. Flown with Korean Air, was ok, but aircraft was quite old. If you're contemplating between Korean and Japan, I personally would choose Japan. Also Asiana, United, Northwest and Cathay Pacific all flies nonstop from the US to Hong Kong.

J Dec 20th, 2002 07:05 AM

Been to Hong Kong, SAR, many times, all u need is a valid passport up to 6 mths, if you want to enter Mainland China, you'll need a VISA. Flown with Korean Air, was ok, but aircraft was quite old. If you're contemplating between Korean and Japan, I personally would choose Japan. Also Asiana, United, Northwest and Cathay Pacific all flies nonstop from the US to Hong Kong.

R Dec 20th, 2002 10:36 AM

Clare and Rocky,<BR><BR>Face it, the original header leaves a LOT to be desired. I'm certain that next time Clare has a question on a Fodors board, she will make sure it makes sense.<BR><BR>You sometimes wonder if some of the posters have ever read some of the posts to learn how to phrase a question and make sure it is on the correct &quot;board&quot; with a clear header.<BR><BR>R