Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Any actual price breaks or perks for Seniors?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most airline booking sites still have a box to check indicating whether you are an adult vs. a senior. Yet when I enter "Senior" I notice senior fares are exactly the same as adult. Is there any airline or circumstance where anyone has noticed any advantage at all in identifying oneself as a senior? I remember that several years ago British Air used to forego penalties for seniors who changed or cancelled their non-refundable tickets but I don't know if any airline does that anymore OR reduces fares for seniors. (Except Southwest Air does still have "Senior Fares".) What are your experiences with other airlines with senior fares and/or perks?
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 04:55 PM

Southwest also allow anyone to change a flight without a charge, although a higher ticket rate may apply. Also, they allow you a credit for full amount of ticket to be used by ANYONE for 1 year after original issue date. Good perks for all.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:58 AM

Hmm... does this mean BA and WN are more accomodating for those of us who occasionally have "senior moments" when booking a flight? ;-)
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 07:33 AM

Or, to put the same question a different way, what is the definition/threshold for "senior" status? 60? 62? 65? Certification?
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 07:54 AM

The best thing seniors have going for them is that for the most part, they can travel at low season. Australia in February is so much cheaper than Australia during Christmas. Become a member of www.travelzoo.com and their weekly list of cheap places. Also, www.sidestep.com has a list once a week.

These prices are discounted as much as they can go. Europe in May and September are so much cheaper because the kids are back in school as are the teachers.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 04:18 PM

United has its Silver Wings program for people over 55. It costs $25 per year to join and they have a Preferred edition that provides additional benefits. You might want to check it out. https://www.silverwingsplus.com/
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:35 PM

What you'll see at that web site is an announcement that the Silver Wings program is being discontinued.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 11:30 AM

I flew SOUTHWEST airlines for the first time last Friday. I've moved west from Ga. where SouthWest does not fly. Yes, they have senior rates. My son's ticket was twice as much as mine. It was last minute tickets, we changed them once and no penalty for me and my son's was I think $90. I'm so very impressed with this airlines. I could actully talk to a person every time I called. I like to fly 1st or business class so I bought 2 seats for myself and it worked out fine. Those 2 seats where still cheaper than my son's one.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 11:35 AM

Chatham.....Did you know that with Southwest, when you buy 2 seats: if the flight is NOT sold out/full, then Southwest will refund the extra seat you bought.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 01:35 PM

" we changed them once and no penalty for me and my son's was I think $90."

That was not a penalty for changing the seat. It was the difference between what he paid for his first ticket [obviously lower fare bought earlier] and the cost of the newer flight [a higher cost seat]. Southwest does not charge a fee simply for rebooking or cancelling. You do have to pay the price of the current seat, which may be higher. But you get full credit for what you already paid and anyone can use the credit. This is not the case with most other airlines.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 11:17 PM

DebitNM,

Yes, I was told I'd get a refund for my second seat. I feel a little quilty about it, as I was so comfortable, but of course I'll take it. These really were last minute tickets, I had a sister in Albuquerque become very ill and we rushed to her side. She died the 23rd but we were able to see her. Southwest airlines made our trip so much easier. I"ve had to go a couple of other times when a close relative was dying and having to deal with other airlines would have me in tears. I will say Delta was very helpful up until about the last 10 years. That is why I'm sold on Southwest airlines.

Kind Regards, Joan
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 11:20 PM

Please forgive my misspelled word. I meant Guilty not quilty.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 09:44 AM

Joan,
I am sorry for the reason for your sudden trip to ABQ [my former home] but glad that Southwest made it easier.
It's nice that you were able to make it in time to say goodbyes.

I have had to use them alot getting to and from Houston for medical care and they have been great with changes etc.

Debi