Another Ryanair Question-- Measuring a Carry-On

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In preparation for a trip later this summer, I'd like to measure my bag now for a Ryanair flight. God love 'em for their cheap flights, but I know they're school marms when it comes to hand luggage requirements. That said-- and I already found the dimensions and weight requirements (55x40x20CM/10Kg)-- should I include the wheels and handles when measuring my bag?
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:11 AM

Yes
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Got it-- thanks. I measured last night, and I don't think my one rolling carry-on is going to work. It seems like it has to be one of those kid-sized ones. Perhaps I'll go buy a Spiderman one and call it a day.
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

For everyone's future reference, I emailed a carry-on question to www.ebags.com, and mentioned I was flying Ryanair. Not only did they respond in a few hours time, but they also included a link with direct access to carry-on's approved by Ryanair on their website. Below is the email I received back with the link.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Since you will be boarding with RyanAir, please use the link below of available bags and luggage in our website approved by this airline:

http://www.ebags.com/search/index.cf...rowairline=yes
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

And one last link for www.ebags.com where you can see their approved carry-ons broken down by airline: http://www.ebags.com/info/media/inde...=carry_on_reqs.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 09:18 PM

Flew Ryan air last month from Stansted to Tours. I hadn't flown Ryan Air since their new stricter baggage policy went into effect. (Only ONE piece that cannot be over 10kg can be carried aboard which supposedly includes purses etc) We wanted to do carry-on since we had a tight train connection to make on arrival in Tours. I chickened-out after finding that we were going to be both overweight and each going to be carrying our luggage plus a light bag. But prior to getting to the airport I found that I could not switch from carry-on to checked as I had already checked in online. At Stansted Insane Asylum, er, I mean Airport, we just went with the flow and decided not to try and check our bags because that would have meant standing in another line there. At Security, they weighed our bags at about 15kgs each and told us we'd probably have to check them at the gate. I figured it was going to cost the same so kept moving toward the gate. Granted our luggage wasn't huge and did (barely) fit into their little size checker at Security with a little bit of effort. Arrived at the gate while boarding was taking place and waltzed right on without a problem. Perhaps one thing in our favor, I had opted for Priority Boarding. Anyone else have a similar experience or ?
PS We made our tight train connection by about one minute despite there being zero taxis at the airport at 2pm and having to take a bus shuttle to town center!
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 09:16 AM

I just took Ryanair from Dublin to Rome with my family. I was extremely worried about the size and weight of our carryon bags. I even decided not to use my favorite Rick Steves bag because it would have been 1 or 2 inches too long when wheels are included in the measurement. Instead I used a bag without wheels. At the gate, I saw a number of people whose bags surely exceeded either the length or depth restrictions, so my Rick Steves bag probably would have passed. A Ryanair employee eyeballed the queue and just asked some women to make sure their purses would go into their carryon. However, there were people who carried bags of purchased items into the plane in addition to their carryon. No one was weighing or measuring bags. My impression was that the staff were more concerned with getting everyone on board quickly so that the flight could leave on time. That said, I don't regret too much that I didn't use my Rick Steves bag. It would have been difficult to maneuver inside the very tight cabin.