Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

An open invitation to any Fodorite to use and abuse the fabulous AA Flagship lounge at LAX and the totally sinful CX F Wing/Pier lounges in Hong Kong!

An open invitation to any Fodorite to use and abuse the fabulous AA Flagship lounge at LAX and the totally sinful CX F Wing/Pier lounges in Hong Kong!

Feb 2nd, 2004, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Well the trip of a lifetime is almost here. Unfortunately I will be doing it solo.

So, this may be to your AAdvantage if:

You will be traveling from or through LAX, TERM 4 on Friday 2/13 between 6pm and 11 pm. I can take 1 "guest" to a great first class AA lounge. Free booze, quiet and comfortable surroundings, and some food (mostly 'finger and appetizer' type food.

or

On Sunday 2/15, the Cathay Pacific world famous first/business lounges (Wing/Pier) in Hong Kong. I will be able to get you in throughout the whole day. although I will attempt to meet up with some friends in Hong Kong in the afternoon. My flight should be in around 8am and I'm not leaving till almost midnight. A great first class restaurant, bar, private day rooms, cabanas(private rooms) with deep tubs and separate showers, all free. Full spa treatments available for extra charge.

So:

Friday 2/13 LAX Term 4 6-11pm
Sunday 2/15 HKG Wing/Pier lounges (all day?)

If you will be there and you're interested in enjoying the great lounges, please post e-mail and I will get in touch with you. It would be a shame/waste to use these great facilites by one person ONLY.

BTW, I will/could get you in, it does not mean you have to hang out with me, unless that's what WE want to do.
Feb 3rd, 2004, 04:05 AM
sandi

AAFF -

That's so generous of you. Sorry I won't be traveling.
Question: does this change have any impact on your itinerary - you know that single supplement thing (if your travel partner was paying their way)? It's a shame that your travel partner will be missing a great trip.

Feb 3rd, 2004, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Sandi,

This trip was planned solo. It's ll paid with miles/points

First class flights
Great hotels/resorts
African Safari
Singapore/Hong Kong

Can't wait

You sure you don't want to join?

I will try to post trip reports on the appropriate forums.
Feb 3rd, 2004, 09:04 AM

What a nice offer!

Where in Africa are you going? Sounds like a great trip. Oh I'm so envious!
Feb 3rd, 2004, 12:54 PM

Yes please post those trip reports.

And drop me a line if you ever come through DFW! LOL
Feb 3rd, 2004, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Kath,

Being a LOYAL AA flyer, I go through DFW all the time. Next Friday I will connect there as well. I'm arriving from Tampa at 2:30 and departing for LAX at 4:30. I will be at the Admirals Club at DFW, but it's not as special as the other 2 . If you are around the airport, please join me

Patty,

6 nights in Kenya and 4 nights in South Africa, followed by 2 nights in Singapore and 7 nights in Hong Kong.
Feb 3rd, 2004, 02:27 PM

Looking forward to your trip reports. Have a great time!
Feb 3rd, 2004, 02:55 PM
sandi

AAFF -

Of course, I would love too - just can't at this time. But will look forward to your posts along the way, if possible, or a report when you return.

You're going to love Africa. Happy and safe travels!

Feb 3rd, 2004, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

I don't know why, but I feel loved here

All the BEAUTIFUL ladies are posting. I wish I could take one or all of you with me

I will try to post during the trip. If any one of you wants to see some pics from Kenya, SA, SIN or Hong Kong, e-mail with your address at [email protected].

Everything is set-up. Now it's just the waiting game. FRIDAY the 13th, a beautiful day!!!!

Feb 4th, 2004, 03:38 AM

Sounds like a fabulous trip, AA. Bon Voyage and have a blast! We'll look forward to your report.
Feb 4th, 2004, 07:35 AM

Wow, AAFF, I'm jealous. What a great trip! Please report when you return.
Feb 4th, 2004, 04:05 PM

AAFF, I'm excited about your trip! Trip of a lifetime! You're going most of the way around the world, I think. What's your flight routing, TPA-DFW-LAX-? From previous posts, I think that you are on Cathay Pacific from HKG to JNB?
Feb 4th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Here is the routing:

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gcmap?PAT...PATH-COLOR=red
Feb 4th, 2004, 05:24 PM

according to webflyer.com
16027 miles = TPA- DFW- LAX- HKG- JNB
3620 miles = JNB- NBO- JNB
8240 miles = JNB- HKG- SIN
1600 miles = SIN- HKG
9775 miles = HKG- LAX- MIA- TPA
-----
39262 miles

The circumference of the earth at the equator is about 21600 miles. Your outbound trip to JNB is about three-quarters around the earth.
Feb 4th, 2004, 05:35 PM

Looking at the trip another way:
TPA is at about 82W longitude
JNB is at about 28E longitude

You will be travelling thru 260 of the 360 degrees of longitude. Twice.
Feb 4th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

It does look like a great deal of flying, and I admit it is, but, most of it is on Cathay Pacific and it's first class. Full sleeper suites, dinners/breakfasts cooked to order, video on demand, pajamas, great lounges, caviar, some of the best champaign, great wine list, just a mind blowing menus, etc.. CX was voted one of the best 3 airlines in the world in 2003. Skytrax, an independent airline evaluation company out of UK does the ratings. What I'm trying to say is that it's a whole different experience. I love flying, and maybe to others the following statement will sound silly, but the flying part is also a very important part of this dream trip. Tha same ticket on CX from LAX-HKG-JNB prices out at over $19,000. I would NEVER, ever consider buying one, but I will enjoy every minute of this "high-life" experience.
Feb 4th, 2004, 07:37 PM

How much is this 'costing' in miles?
Feb 4th, 2004, 07:49 PM

Isn't it amazing how a 14 hour transpacific flight in first class can feel shorter than a 4 hour domestic coach flight? Occasionally I get to splurge on business trips and upon landing find myself thinking do I really have to get off the plane?
Feb 4th, 2004, 07:55 PM

I love flying too, and your statement definitely does not sound silly to me. This is an awesome trip and I am really happy to hear that you got it with your miles and you are going. You won't just have an international first class trip experience, you will be saturated in CX FC service. An old hand at it all at once.

Feb 4th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Patty,

I grabbed this ticket before August 1, 2003. This was the date that AA went to the so called 'simplified' OneWorld award chart.

I got this for 140K miles, now it is something like 240K miles +/- few. They call it simplified, I call it ??? Anyway, I still think AA is one of the best with thier mileage program, but when the decision had to me made, and the fact that the ticket was/is good for a year, I grabbed it. I followed up with HHonors and the Safari package, the Conrads in Singapore and Hong Kong using my Hilton points, and everything fell in place. Surprisingly, unlike some other FF reports, I usually got the first dates or 1 day +/- when requested. So finally the whole trip is set, I received the last HHonors cert yesterday and the only money I had to pay so far is the 3 ticket taxes. The long trip was $58, the JNB-MBO on BA was $52 and the HKG-SIN was $12.
Medical espenses were more, since I had to get yellow fever, Hep.A & B, Tetnus shots at about $160 and the script for Malarone that ended up at about $100.
Now all I need is spending money

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO