Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   An airline canceled rkkwan's flight! (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/an-airline-canceled-rkkwans-flight-812166/)

rkkwan Oct 28th, 2009 11:46 AM

An airline canceled rkkwan's flight!

Haha, finally, this happened to me. While I was mid-trip too! Anyways, it was <b>go!</b>, the much hated Mesa unit in Hawaii that's known as the murderer of Aloha, with pilots that fall asleep on an inter-island flight (!) and overshoot the airport, and that everybody tells everybody to stay away from.

Anyways, at least they called me 3 days before the flight - while I was already in Honolulu - and I was able to book on Hawaiian for $20 more. [Which was why I booked go! in the first place.]

Only loss for me was that I deliberately took a smaller backpack w/wheels that can be carried onto go!'s CRJ. I could have taken a bigger suitcase if I knew I'd be flying all HA inter-island.

So, I'd say the same as everybody else now - go! sucks. Don't fly go!.

NoFlyZone Oct 28th, 2009 01:56 PM

How dare they!

dfr4848 Oct 29th, 2009 04:43 AM

Ray - join the club! Look at it this way - at least you didn't have as much luggage to lug around.

cmcfong Oct 29th, 2009 08:56 AM

Sorry about your situation. It sounds quite annoying. Since we can't post messages directed at one person,I thought I would tag on to your post to get your opinion.

I have 200k miles on USAIRWAYS. I am going with DH to Cinque Terre region of Italy. Without success I tried to get USAIR to let me use miles on only one leg of the trip so that we could fly Envoy home. Finally I decided to book rt in economy. Today USAIRWAYS announced they cancelled service from PHL to MXP. So I go see what my alternatives are and I see that for the same money I can fly to either Florence or MXP via Frankfurt on USAIRWAYS. But...when I tried to use my miles for the Florence itinerary it tells me no flights are available. I would appreciate your insight.

rkkwan Oct 29th, 2009 09:03 AM

cmcfong - When a major airline (which I will call USAirways, but not go!) cancel a flight, they usually give you pretty large latitude on how to have that rebooked. Call them and they maybe able to fly you to FRA and then connect on LH down to MXP.

chepar Oct 29th, 2009 09:26 AM

>the murderer of Aloha<

I like that one and that's how I feel about them. I will never fly go! airlines.

cmcfong Oct 29th, 2009 11:57 AM

Thanks, Ray!

cmcfong Oct 29th, 2009 01:56 PM

Ray, I got rerouted CLT to Munich to Florence on Lufthansa and upgraded to Business class. All in all not a bad result. Thanks for your help.

yk Oct 29th, 2009 02:35 PM

rkkwan, I assume you haven't flown Go! before? You wouldn't consider flying them again just to *collect* airlines???

rkkwan Oct 29th, 2009 04:01 PM

I booked go! in the first place because I wanted to try a new airline, in addition to save $20. But after this "incident", I won't fly them for $20 cheaper. $50 maybe...

P_M Oct 31st, 2009 04:41 PM

As much as you travel I'm surprised this is the first time this has happened to you. As you know I've had every kind of bad airline experience known to mankind. Sorry your luck is becoming like mine. I'll make a point of never flying with you now that you are a jinx. :-D

rkkwan Oct 31st, 2009 05:17 PM

Pam - It's not that it hasn't happened to me before; it's just been so rare that it requires a mention here. :)

And at the end, it didn't really cost me much inconvenience at all. My eventual HA flight departed at exactly the same time as the go! one was supposed to.