Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   American Airlines Canceled My Honeymoon Flight (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/american-airlines-canceled-my-honeymoon-flight-805156/)

cestanzione Sep 8th, 2009 11:25 AM

American Airlines Canceled My Honeymoon Flight

My new husband and I are scheduled to leave for our honeymoon this Sunday to St. Lucia and went onto the American Airlines website to double check our flight times, only to find out that our non-stop flight had been canceled. We were never notified by American Airlines, and a senior representative in their reservations department advised that there is nothing that they can do about the situation and switched us to a non-direct flight. It will now take us twice as long to get to St. Lucia. We booked this trip in January, splurged and payed a premium price of $1200 for direct flights because it is our honeymoon, where we could have paid $600 for the non-direct flights back then. I also emailed American Airlines customer relations service four times and they will not reimburse us for anything, will not upgrade us and actually had the nerve to say that this is a risk you take in air travel. We usually fly Continental, and the only reason that we didn't with this trip is because American Airlines was the only carrier that had a direct flight to St. Lucia (any day of the week). I understand that flights get canceled, however we would have booked the non-direct flight ourselves and saved $600. We tried to see if we could cancel the trip and go someplace else, but it is too late to cancel the hotel. We also tried to book the flight through a different airline, but because it is so last minute, the prices for flights are astronomical. My new husband and I are so upset because we splurged on the flights for our honeymoon, and got basically got scammed out of the money. American Airlines customer service representatives are obnoxious and rude! Beware of American Airlines!

J62 Sep 8th, 2009 12:01 PM

Since flight/route changes like this happen all the time on every airline your note is a good reminder to periodically check flight schedules, not to wait until the last minute.

Better customer service would have informed you as soon as the change was made so you could better evaluate your options.

I understand you are upset, but calling it a scam is a little over the top. That implies intent to take your money and later cancel the flight.

In general you have the right to either accept the changes they suggest, counter-propose with a different itinerary, or get a full refund from AA if you don't wish to accept the flight change they have given you. Unfortunately since you only found out 5 days before the flight that's not a realistic option.

Thanks for the reminder of one of the risks of air travel that we all need to be aware of.

CarolA Sep 8th, 2009 12:13 PM

And your story could just as easily be on Continental as AA. It's a risk of travel.

The ticket you buy gets you from point A to point B on the day in question then the airline has lived up to it's end of the deal.

They are still getting you there,you need to let it go and not let this ruin your honeymoon. If it does, don't blame AA, look in the mirror!

AAFrequentFlyer Sep 8th, 2009 12:37 PM

No airline that I know guarantees schedules. It's the fact of life.

Now get on with your new life and don't fret about the tiny details.

Have a great trip!

cestanzione Sep 8th, 2009 12:47 PM

Based on your responses, and apparently the regularity that these situations happen, I can see why so many airlines are on the verge of bankruptcy. I have never experienced such poor customer service with an airline before!

AAFrequentFlyer Sep 8th, 2009 01:08 PM

I'm not sure what you expected?

You did mention upgrades, money back(huh?), something, anything, etc...

It's not realistic.

Schedules do change, it's part of the real world, grow up and learn to live with it.

Nothing to do with customer service. Everything to do with your high expectations. They just told you what the real world of flying is. You don't like the replies and on that fact alone you base your decision that it was bad CS? Very immature IMHO.

Millions of people get from A to B on a daily basis. There are hiccups along the ways for a certain % of the travelers. It's part of the transportation business.

You not getting your "demands" met has nothing to do with thy the airline(s) are in financial trouble.

Get over it,

Enjoy your honeymoon! :-)

yestravel Sep 8th, 2009 03:33 PM

cestanzione--it sucks that this happened to you on your honeymoon no less. The notion of customer service has gone the way of the landline phone -- rarely there. I hope u can forget about this ad enjoy your honeymoon. don't let AA ruin what should be a glorious time 4 u.

rkkwan Sep 8th, 2009 03:38 PM

At least AA didn't cancel your honeymoon. :p

Jeff_Costa_Rica Sep 8th, 2009 08:18 PM

It's frustrating that this happened, but no one is trying to scam you. These things do happen on all airlines, and it is a risk you take in air travel.

St. Lucia is gorgeous. Have a wonderful trip ... and don't be fuming the whole flight down there over this. That's no way to begin your honeymoon.