Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Am I crazy to buy tickets on two seperate days?

Am I crazy to buy tickets on two seperate days?

Jan 5th, 2009, 06:56 AM
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 525
Am I crazy to buy tickets on two seperate days?

Arrive LGW at 7am, seperate itinerary flight to
DBV is at 9:50. I'm considering purchasing tickets on that flight, plus same flight for the next day.

I'd be wasting about $250, but I'd have the ability to relax knowing that if I missed the flight, I'm already booked the next day. I would make a cancelable hotel reservation in London.

I could just spend one night in London, but would prefer not to unless I had to.

Is there any reason BA would frown on this? Has anyone done something like this? Am I crazy?
H
phieaglefan is offline  
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:18 AM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 10,122
I don't understand why you would contemplate doing this. If you have a ticket to Dubrovnik, then BA would be required to get you there even if you missed the connection at Gatwick (if you are flying all the way on BA). They would simply put you in the next available seat on one of their flights. And with the new EU flight rules, they might even be required to give you some kind of monetary compensation if you weren't able to be rerouted immediately.

So I guess the short answer is that, yes, I think you're crazy for paying for something that BA is required to give you as a part of their regular service.

Now, if you are flying a completely different airline (such as Ryanair), then that's a different story. But that does not appear to be the case here.
doug_stallings is offline  
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:39 AM
  #3  
yk
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 24,134
IIRC, the OP wants to buy 2 separate tix on 2 separate itin for the flights. The OP will be flying Delta to LGW, but then BA to DBV. So, if the inbound flight to LGW is substantially delayed or even cancelled, then her outbound to DBV will be considered as no-show.

Anyway, phieaglefan, I think you've gotten a number of responses and opinions when you asked this before. The bottom line is: only YOU can decide whether you want to take that tiny risk or not. What we tell you (say, 90% you'll make the connection) will not predict what will happend on the day YOU actually fly. Even if historically, 99% of the time your inbound flight arrives on time, no one can guarantee that the day YOU flight it won't be that 1% chance it will be late.
yk is offline  
Jan 5th, 2009, 10:56 AM
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,197
If you're that nervous about it, why not just plan on going the second day, get a hotel or B & B somewhere near Gatwick, maybe spend the "extra" day visiting Brighton (easy access) and catch up on your sleep before going off to Dubrovnik?
Gardyloo is offline  
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:47 AM
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 91,606
No I would not waste $250 on that second ticket. But I might simply plan in advance to travel that second day, with a planned one night layover in London.

Or I would have done it differently from the start where the two legs of the flight are tied together on the same ticket with the same carrier (or was this not an option?)
suze is offline  
Jan 5th, 2009, 01:32 PM
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 738
Whatever you do - I wouldn't do two separate itineraries going out. As changes occur in the second flight (which for me, always happens - I want them working to make sure I make that first flight). Also, I assume that my first leg will not be on time - sadly, just seems to be the way things go for me, so I would be a bit nervous with a connection that short - considering it's Heathrow, and the whole luggage issue, etc. I would probably go to LGW on one day, spend the night, and catch the flight to DBV the next day. But - that is me, and that is based on how I KNOW my luck always is with connections, and the horrible experiences I have had at LGW... Could just be my friend Murphy travels with me, though - so it may not be the norm....
Debi is offline  
Jan 7th, 2009, 03:37 AM
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 525
Thank you for your responses. yk is correct regarding my itinerary.

I will probably end up doing as suze and Gardyloo suggest and just plan to spend the night.

Briefly, my reasons for considering it are that it's a fairly quick trip, about 11 days, and getting to DBV that first day would be great.

The $250 would basically be spent as an insurance policy - ie if I would just happen to be unlucky enough to miss the flight the first day, I would already be pre-booked for the next day.

yk, I am sorry that you feel my post was repetitive. I apologize.
I was really just looking for input as to whether anyone's done something like this previously.

Thanks,
H
phieaglefan is offline  
Jan 7th, 2009, 04:46 AM
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 10,122
An actual insurance policy will cost you considerably less than $250 and would achieve the same result. Why not just buy one and hope for the best since it's likely you'll make the connection?
doug_stallings is offline  
Jan 7th, 2009, 06:03 AM
  #9  
yk
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 24,134
Is there any possibility that you can fly on one itinerary from your home airport to DBV? I guess that rules out Delta? Or does Delta have a partner airline that can get you from LGW to DBV? Of, can you fly Delta to another European gateway (eg paris) and then connect on AF to DBV?

Just trying to help.
yk is offline  
Jan 7th, 2009, 06:46 PM
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 525
yk, I appreciate your goodwill. There's no Skyteam service to DBV. The closest service is to Split, which we'd consider, but it seems to be through Moscow, which adds considerable length to the trip, as you might imagine. Zagreb is the only true Skyteam destination in Croatia, and the connections from OKC are pretty bad.

I have to admit that for a higher mileage level, we could get a single itinerary into ZAG with a forced overnight at CDG. I didn't pursue this option primarily because we'd like DBV to be our prime destination on this trip and it's quite a drive from ZAG. So not only would we have the forced overnight (which it now looks like we'll have anyway), but we end up on the opposite end of the country from where we'd like to be.

I also thought about abandoning the mileage thing and just paying for the tickets, but they're running $1300 to $1500 a piece for our dates in September.

Doug, I hadn't considered insurance as I've never purchaed any, but it's certainly a thought. It would most likely be a fraction of the cost, and could cover the expanded costs of traveling the second day. The only snag would be availability. All of the travel insurance in the world won't guarantee there will be a spot on that plane the next day. But I will investigate. Thanks for the tip.

I do truly appreciate everyone's input. Thanks again,
H

phieaglefan is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:43 AM.