Alitalia's Future Is In Doubt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was the headline in today's WSJ. The article is not encouraging for Alitalia's future. Obviously one should avoid buying tickets on Alitalia and if you hold tickets then you need a good travel insurance policy that covers airline collapses. Don't assume your policy covers this situation. A few years ago, a cruise line went under and most travel policies did not pay.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 08:13 PM

I am sure rkkwan and other can tell us more. I 'guess' that although Air France/KLM not happy the deal didn't go through, if Alitalia continue to have problem then Air France/KLM in particular plus Lufthansa, Swiss etc will gain anyway.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 09:43 PM

Here is the latest article in the International Herald Tribune regarding Alitalia.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/03/...s/alitalia.php
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 08:39 AM
aby

hi

in Jan 07 i read & heard the same while holding a long-range Alitalia return ticket. there was also a certain date after which the airline was supposed to shut down, unless Italian gov invested more $$

finally i got back home after that date
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 08:55 AM

Prior to departure, I'm not sure that travel insurance would be any more helpful than simply paying with a credit card. The insurance company will ask that you contact your credit card company first. Also financial default is only covered if certain conditions are met (that's if it's covered at all) such as purchasing the insurance within X number of days of initial payment, allowing X number of days waiting period, exclusion of certain carriers or only covering carriers on their approved list.

The only situation I can think of where travel insurance would help is if you paid cash (why would you do that?) or if you were mid-trip and purchased a policy with travel interruption benefits that will pay for the cost of a one way ticket home. In this case, you should look for a policy that offers 150% trip interruption benefits as the cost of a last minute ticket home could be much higher than your original prepaid cost.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 08:33 AM

I have a question. I hold a ticket from Northwest for a flight in June that is actually operated by Alitalia. If Alitalia goes bust, what will happen? Will Northwest just rebook me?

Hazard
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

I think I would be talking with Northwest -- RIGHT NOW !!! It is operated by Alitalia that means code sharing and running on Alitalia's equipment. A big problem with the current airlines is little excessive capacity. Absorbing an extra two or three hundred passengers from a cancelled flight is difficult. Cancel an airline and it may be impossible.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 06:17 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Patty - AFAIK - The travel insurance companies maintain a list of airlines, tours, etc. that they won't cover and Alitalia has long been on that list because of frequent strikes.