Where to Complain to UA About a Rude FA

Old Dec 8th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Where to Complain to UA About a Rude FA

I just returned from an international flight on UA and had a FA be rude to me and spoke to me in an inappropriate manner. First let me say that in all of many flights I have only had pleasant and helpful interactions with FA. So this was a first to have one speak to me in the manner that she did. I know I can email customer service, but I thought I have read that you get more attention by writing elsewhere? Anyone have any ideas? thanks!
Old Dec 8th, 2015, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suggest Twitter and Facebook. Companies generally respond quickly to complaints on social media.
Old Dec 8th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

That's a good idea. ON FB I generally post very short messages. So how does one go about describing a situation? Not at all clear how to approach twitter with a complaint -- any ideas? thanks
Old Dec 8th, 2015, 02:47 PM

I posted on American Airlines FB page about a dreadful experience with a FA. No response.
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 04:42 AM

What exactly happened?
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 07:23 AM

Are you registered with Twitter? If you are, you just send a tweet to the airline (you can look up their handle). In my limited experience, they will reply with a request to take the conversation private, and then you have their attention.

You didn't ask for advice on this, but I'm curious as to what you will ask for... I sometimes think of complaining about this or that, but end up talking myself out of it because I can't figure out what the point is.
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 10:32 AM

In flight, I would have reported the incident to the head flight attendant or purser. Once home, I would email the exec in charge of customer service directly. You can find them by googling or using LinkedIn. The Managing Director for United is [email protected]

Also, apparently, UA is aware of problems, and is empowering agents to compensate passengers:

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/11/unit...-compensation/
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Yes, I am registered on twitter and follow UA. I was mulling over using social media also because of the privacy issue. I don't want to put a FA's name in the public space like that. So what you describe would work.

As far as compensation for this situation it would be nice if they compensate me, but I just felt the FA was so rude and really spoke to me in an inappropriate manner that I wanted to let UA know. My flight or baggage wasn't effected so I doubt that they will compensate me, but who knows? I believe that if we dont give feedback to airlines, restaurants or stores, then they have no indication of their performance. Silly for an airline perhaps, but for the 10 minutes it will take me to write a note I feel it's worth it. If nothing else it will make me feel better! IN other situations I have asked for mileage or $$vouchers depending upon what the issue has been. I have had them give me vouchers where you choose which compensation one wants which is nice.

sparkchaser, its really not worth going into. Like most situations there are several "moving parts" and I'm not interested in airing it all on a public forum.
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

eurohop - sorry I missed your comment. Yes, I have been reading about thier push for better customer service. Per the card I was given it was actually the purser that was so rude & almost intimidating. But thanks for your suggestions. I will send an email to scot o'leary.
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 11:29 AM

I agree, and I hope they listen to your complaint. You don't have to name the FA in your tweet (if you decide to send one), I agree with you (again!) that that would be inappropriate.

I recently complained via Twitter, FB and email to a huge corporation (Mars) and received one boilerplate response: thanks for writing.
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Eons ago my mother always believed that you should give both positive and negative feedback when a product excelled or failed. So on both accounts way back in the day she got some amazing results. She complimented Tide soap and got a huge supply of it. Complained to a candy company that made Chunky candy bar and got sent a carton of their candy! Then she complained to a car company and we all sat hoping to receive a free car

I just got my UA survey and sure indicated my issue without details. Will Tweet out and send to Scot - will report back on their response. I'm sure the FA or Pursurer reported the issue to CYA if for no other reason.
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 11:43 PM

When you post your rant, don't forget to include date, flight number, and your seat number.
Old Dec 10th, 2015, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Hopefully it's not a rant, and yes, all that info is included, but thanks for the reminder.
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

I received this response to the comments I posted on the survey UA sends after a flight. No offer of compensation, but at least they responded! I also sent to the scot guy and have not received a response from that yet.

"We are sorry for the inconvenience you experienced.

Please know that the treatment you described is no more acceptable to us
than it is to you. Direct customer feedback about our products and
services is so important in helping us to improve.

Our ability to communicate professionally with our customers is a key
component of our brand, being Flyer Friendly. A number of tools and
processes are being applied this year that will substantively address
these goals. We are working to improve customer service, including
investing in a comprehensive training course for frontline employees. We
are consistently aligning service standards of professional women and
men around our company.

We hope to welcome you aboard another flight in the near future, and
thereby have the opportunity to win back your trust. Our goal is to
create the world's most Flyer Friendly airline. We still have room for
improvement, but that's the direction we're headed.

We appreciate your business and thank you for flying the friendly skies.
Regards,

Annette Nielson
Customer Care"
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 06:39 PM

FYI twitter is a great way to communicate with UA - you don't have to reveal the names, just that an incident occurred and someone usually gets back quickly to ask details.