Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Airports close to downtown (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/airports-close-to-downtown-779156/)

wally34949 Apr 15th, 2009 07:27 AM

Airports close to downtown

I just flew into the San Jose, California airport and was quite impressed. Free internet and electrical outlets everywhere. The new terminals are still underconstruction, but it will be great when completed. We took the bus to the light rail station and for just $1.75 each way, had dinner downtown in just minutes.

San Diego also has an airport right downtown. Any other airports come to mind?

I was so disappointed at LAX international airport last Christmas. There were only two electrical outlets for over 400 people at the gate, and this is after they redid the terminal. Also no free internet.

rkkwan Apr 15th, 2009 08:38 AM

DCA and BOS are literally downtown. DAL also very close. 5 miles or less.

Don't know which terminal at LAX you use, but most are still pretty run down. Last major renovation of the whole airport was 1984. Try BUR next time. It's still very 1950-ish, but it's closer to downtown L.A., and very easy to get in and get out.

yestravel Apr 15th, 2009 10:08 AM

DCA is in VA and about 4-5 miles to downtown DC

yk Apr 15th, 2009 10:12 AM

OMA is only 3 miles from downtown Omaha.

rkkwan Apr 15th, 2009 01:39 PM

Well, apparently, there are many more airports around the world that are close to their respectively "downtowns", but here are some that I've used that are 5 miles or under. Distance is approx. Google Earth distance between terminal and downtown.

TSA (Taipei Sungshan, old TPE) - 2mi
YQR (Regina, Canada) - 2mi
RNO - 3mi
EWR - 3mi (from Newark, not NYC)
BUR - 3mi (from Burbank, not L.A.)
BOI - 3.5mi
Old HKG (Kai Tak) - 3.5mi
DXB - 4mi
HNL - 4mi
YYC - 5mi

Might have a few others in Asia and Canada, but I'm skipping those.

ms_go Apr 15th, 2009 02:08 PM

The Phoenix airport is pretty close to downtown--about 3-4 miles from the west entrance to the airport.

QueScaisJe Apr 17th, 2009 11:14 AM

YTZ (Toronto City Centre Airport, aka Toronto Island Airport) is 120m across the harbour to downtown Toronto.

retiredinflorida Apr 17th, 2009 01:52 PM

rkkwan, your list is impressive, I'd add UIO (Quito) to the list.

retiredinflorida Apr 17th, 2009 02:03 PM

Also, London's city airport.

Seamus Apr 17th, 2009 02:39 PM

SAT (San Antonio) is pretty close to downtown, a straight shot down the highway.

rkkwan Apr 17th, 2009 10:16 PM

retiredinflorida - Well, I have flown into or out of close to 100 airports, so I have quite a few candidates to choose from. ;)

I didn't realize PHX is that close to downtown. That should be on my list. Another one will be ANC, which is about 4mi from downtown.

How about airports that are really far from downtown? Here are mine that are >20mi.

NRT - 35mi
STN - 30mi
BWI - 28mi (from Washington)
LGW - 25mi
MXP - 25mi
IAD - 23mi
ARN - 22mi

Again, these are Google Earth straight line distance. The new HKG is only about 15mi from Central measured this way, but actual roadway is close to 30mi.

travelgourmet Apr 18th, 2009 12:58 AM

<i>How about airports that are really far from downtown? Here are mine that are >20mi.</i>

OSL would probably make the list.
ICN sure seems like the furthest out that I have ever been to
PIK is pretty far from Glasgow, though I guess it is close to Prestwick
CDG isn't that far, I don't think, but it sure seems like it with traffic

kybourbon Apr 18th, 2009 05:25 AM

Close
SDF
LEX
CVG
SBN

yk Apr 18th, 2009 05:45 AM

HOw about DFW to either Dallas or Fort Worth? I think it's over 20 miles to either.

And Kansas City?

retiredinflorida Apr 18th, 2009 08:15 AM

rkkwan, you are extremely well travelled. I know you help alot of people on this forum and I enjoy reading your posts. I've often wondered if you ever worked in the airline industry.

Here are a few airports that are far from the city centre:-

KIX,
TPE,
JNB,
AKL,
SAW,
DME,
Cairo, and
Amman,

Another airport that's close to the city centre is LED.

J62 Apr 18th, 2009 08:47 AM

Another airport that's painfully far from the city center is NRT.

rkkwan Apr 18th, 2009 08:58 AM

yk - By the way I measure it, DFW is 16mi from Dallas downtown, and 19 from Ft Worth.

MCI is 16mi from KC, MO and 14mi from KC, KS.

rkkwan Apr 18th, 2009 09:00 AM

And even the new DEN is only 18mi from downtown. With the exception of IAD, US airports are actually not that far from their downtowns.

Seamus Apr 18th, 2009 11:37 AM

What about IAH, or as the locals call it, Houston Intergalactic?

rkkwan Apr 18th, 2009 10:38 PM

Haha... IAH is actually under 20 miles from downtown. It used be a hike to get out there, but with the widening of US59 completed a few years ago, IAH is really quite accessible, and takes only about 10 minutes longer than getting to HOU from downtown.

Even from my parents' place in SW Houston, I can usually drive to IAH in under 40 minutes, for the 35-mi drive.