Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Airline's responsibility for delayed luggage to a city not your own?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been lucky enough not to have lost luggage anytime in the past decade (knock on wood), although I do "carry-on" only a great percentage of the time anyway.

However, I am wondering about the following. I'm flying SEA-MAD in September. If I check luggage on my return, and it's delayed, would Delta be responsible for getting it to my Vancouver home, or would they tell me to come back and pick it up in Seattle?

Do airlines differ in respect to this policy?
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 12:08 AM

i dont know that.. maybe they will just have to tell you and you will be the one who get it... i think so.. im not sure bout it.. @_@
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 03:21 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
The few times our luggage has gone missing, it's always been delivered right to our door, regardless of where we were.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 03:24 AM

Forgot to mention that this has been the case regardless of airline. Once our luggage was delivered at 2 am!
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 03:25 AM

Usually airlines will deliver misplaced luggage to your house but your situation is little different. I'm assuming that your final destination is Seattle and you are getting to Vancouver on your own. If that's the case the airline may not do the home delivery just because the luggage has to be cleared by Canadian customs, so you may have to at the very least "meet" your luggage at the US/Canada border. There are custom broker companies but it's somewhat expensive and it may take some extra time. I don't think the airline is required to do that as you are only paying for Spain-US service.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

AAFF, good point about the border. I guess I have been lucky all these times not to have delayed luggage when doing this, as I often check luggage on my return to SEA, even if I did "carry-on only" on my way over.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 05:22 PM

Good point AAFF, I didn't think about that. Now that you mention it, I once had to go back to the airport in Kuwait to clear my luggage that had been lost in transit from Europe.