Airline tickets to phoenix, buy now or wait?

Jan 10th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Airline tickets to phoenix, buy now or wait?

We are vacationing in Arizona late June for 8 days, and I have been checking airfare for weeks now from philly to phoenix. USAIR is offering nonstop flights for $442.00 pp, however, when I check expedia, travelocity or priceline, I can get a nonstop flight from philly, and a connecting return flight from phoenix, for $389.00 per person. Should we wait and see if the price drops with USAIR for depart/return nonstop flights, or would you buy the tickets using multiple airlines now??

We have used both expedia and travelocity in the past without incident, and you do get the option of picking multiple carriers, which gives you more options for flight times.

At first I thought if we buy now, we have better seat availability and better pickings too, but if we wait, we may save, but lessen our chances of picking good seats.

We are leaving the week of June 27, returning July 4th, which will a busy time, I'm sure, which is causing our dilemma!

Thanks for your help!
Jan 10th, 2009, 05:12 PM

Have you tried using www.southwest.com ?

They are not part of any mass booking site [travelocity, priceline etc].

They are not yet selling seats for that time period. They should soon. They often have the best prices.

Deb
Jan 11th, 2009, 06:11 AM
J62

Using kayak.com I see flights as low as $300, one-stop. Flights for a month earlier are in the mid $200's.

You can definitely do better than $389. If your dates are fixed and you want non-stop then you limit your choices.

I would definitely wait. June is too far out for airlines to offer any incentive for you to fly. If you're willing to purchase a ticket for $389 or $442 they'll be more than happy to sell you one.
Jan 11th, 2009, 06:44 AM

I also agree on waiting. Living in AZ I see the prices go down as summer gets closer. It's so hot in June/July they're looking to reduce prices to get people to come here!
Jan 11th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feeback! I think we are going to wait until at least March and purchase our tickets, but if we see something good sooner, we will jump on it.

I know it will be hot in June, and I was a little hesitant about going, but we got such an incredible deal at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass, we could not resist!

Thanks again
Jan 12th, 2009, 07:53 AM

louise - You'll enjoy that property. Have you been there before? I live (by highway) about 5 miles from that area so if you have any questions, let me know.
Jan 12th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Hi

I just sent you an email with questions I have about Chandler. This is our 1st trip to Arizona.

Thanks
Jan 12th, 2009, 06:01 PM

Another good reason to wait for Southwest to open up sales in June: their fares may be lower than USAir, and USAir may lower their fares to match.

Plus, Southwest allows changes for free and even re-booking and getting a credit if the price goes down. So if you book on Southwest.com and the price drops $100 per person, you can rebook each ticket and get $100 credit per person to use within a year. If you can't use it, a friend or family member can.

And Southwest doesn't charge for checking bags, nor do they charge for drinks. USAir charges $2 for sodas and even for water now. You have to factor all of that into comparing ticket prices.
Jan 13th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Andrew,

Thats good to know and I just downloaded the DING software from Southwest. Hopefully they will offer a good deal when the time comes. There website says the fares past June 26th will open up the end of January.