Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Airline schedule change requires overnight - right to compensation? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/airline-schedule-change-requires-overnight-right-to-compensation-1083723/)

Tulips Jan 12th, 2016 04:38 AM

Airline schedule change requires overnight - right to compensation?

Turkish Airlines have changed their flights between Kathmandu and Istanbul (there is now stopover in Delhi - previously it was a nonstop flight). My daughter has a ticket through to Brussels with the same airline, but her connection will now be in the morning (as she will miss their last flight due to the scheduling change). They say they will try to get her a hotel, but cannot guarantee this.
Does the airline have an obligation to offer lodging and food, in this situation?

DonTopaz Jan 12th, 2016 06:18 AM

> Does the airline have an obligation to offer
> lodging and food, in this situation?

Nope. You have the option of accepting the schedule change, canceling your ticket for a refund, or finding a new routing/schedule with the same airline that is acceptable to you.

Tulips Jan 12th, 2016 06:43 AM

It's halfway through a roundtrip. She could cancel, but another ticket one way with an other airline will cost more. And will still require an overnight. Turkish Airlines doesn't have another option.

It's odd - they are the main airline to Kathmandu from Belgium and the Netherlands, precisely because their connections are so good. All other airlines had an 8-hour or more layover.

dotheboyshall Jan 12th, 2016 09:43 AM

See if she can fly to Stansted instead, then train to London, Eurostar to Belgium.

But it means getting on the phone.

She may also need an Indian visa if she has to leave Delhi airport to get a room.

doug_stallings Jan 12th, 2016 11:42 AM

Generally, if the time of your flight changes by more than 4 hours you are allowed to change without penalty. Airlines don't always offer you a free hotel room for an overnight layover any longer, especially in economy class. I'd make a back-up hotel reservation, but I'd still press the airline for a hotel voucher.

doug_stallings Jan 12th, 2016 11:43 AM

There is a hotel now inside the airport, but it's sometimes hard to get a room there.

thursdaysd Jan 12th, 2016 12:15 PM

There are a couple of good hotels just outside the airport. I stayed at the Wow. But they should reroute her if she can find a route that works better.

Tulips Jan 12th, 2016 11:05 PM

Thanks for the advice. There are no options that will get her home the same evening, and cancelling half the ticket and booking a new one will be more expensive anyway. Booking the hotel inside the airport is probably best, thank you for the tip!

Whathello Jan 13th, 2016 06:18 AM

Just one word of caution.
I've been given a room by airlines as a compensation for missed flights (not rescheduled, missed connections).
Notably twice in Frankfurt, where Lufth has agreement with a 'nearby' hotel.
Hotel 'nearby' turns to be 20 min away at 2 am - so 45 min in rush hour ? With shuttles that are not that frequent early in the morning. Next time I'll see if I can stay nearer, even if I pay myself.

My point : do check, sometimes the gift is poisoned.

scdreamer Jan 13th, 2016 12:13 PM

Even if the hotel is in the airport, if it's past security, be sure to check to see if she will need an visa before you book.