Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Airline fares ... GRrrrrrr (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/airline-fares-grrrrrrr-257297/)

KB Sep 12th, 2002 05:50 AM

Airline fares ... GRrrrrrr

Yes I know everyone should be used to the constantly fluid nature of internet airline fares, but this is getting ridiculous. I've been watching airfares from DFW to Lima Peru for weeks. From minute to minute the tickets I want can go from under $1000 to over $2000 per ticket. I'm trying to remain calm and wait for a good fare. Yesterday and today I finally see fares I'm interested in purchasing. But when I try to choose the flight and fares that are up there, I encounter a new twist ... I get taken to a sceen that says "The fare has now changed to $4,304, what do you want to do". Unfortunately "throttle someone" is not an option. What is going on? I try clicking as quickly as I can so the fare doesn't expire but I don't even think the fares exist in the first place. And who would pay $4300 for a coach ticket anyway? I'm so frustrated. Sorry had to vent. Wish I could just drive there. A pox upon the airlines. Its as bad as buying a car.

sister Sep 12th, 2002 06:08 AM

Why not fly Lacsa through Santiago Chile? American will gouge you since a/ they have a nonstop flight and b/ because they can. <BR><BR>You may want to call a travel agent and ask them if they can quote a consolidator ticket to this destination. Our church group used an agent who got us excellent fares to Lima last summer..about 1/2 of the published fares.

sister Sep 12th, 2002 06:18 AM

I just called our agent who we used this past summer..I had her pull up November travel / midweek to Lima on American nonstop. SHe can get a consolidator fare for $700--that includes taxes and all that jazz. The fare is there--you just have to know how to get it.

KB Sep 12th, 2002 06:31 AM

Thanks Sister. I'm going to look into Lacsa today. I did find the $700 fare in November. Unfortunately, I think a lot of my problem is that I have to fly around Christmas/New Years. Must be peak time to travel down there, I'm not sure. I trying to leave the day or two after xmas and come home after New Year's. I'd be willing to pay a grand but no more.

KB Sep 12th, 2002 06:32 AM

I accidently hit return before I was finished. I think you are right. For this kind of money I need to call a TA.

Helper Sep 12th, 2002 01:33 PM

You should always check with a Travel Agent. I find they get the best fares and save me time. I get tired of waiting for Orbitz to come back up.

Enrique Sep 12th, 2002 01:56 PM

Hi KB:<BR><BR>Those dates are high season, as you probably know. I plugged in dates of 12/26 and 1/9, without looking too hard I got a fare of around $880 with Lan Peru.<BR><BR>Drop me a line and I can send you the details...

Enrique Sep 12th, 2002 02:28 PM

Hi KB:<BR><BR>Actually, the flights are on AA through Miami...