Air Pacific recent flights

Dec 9th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Air Pacific recent flights

I``m considering flight with Air Pacific to Fiji and then Sydney...all entries about this airlines are very old, any recent one, please help
Dec 10th, 2010, 02:45 AM

I have flown this airline several times from LAX to Nadi and then on to New Zealand. They use a 747-400 which is packed full of people in economy class and a very small business class section. There is no first class.

Right after take-off they serve a light pasta meal with free beer and wine. After about seven hours, they wake you up to a nice hot breakfast. Because they have a limited number of planes, if there are mechanical problems, they will put you up in the hotel but you won't get your checked bags back so I recommend putting your swimsuit in your carry-on bag. This happened to me twice.

You will get miles with American Airlines if you purchase the Bula Saver ticket. However, the Get Packing fare type will not get miles with AA, but will get Qantas Flyer points.

The airport in Nadi is quite warm inside but has a lot of duty free stores and restaurants. The flight attendants are quite nice and the plane is run very professionally, and the fasten seatbelt sign was only on when needed.

In short, Air Pacific is better than a U.S. airline but not better than an Asian airline, In My Opinion. They have individual seatback television screens but they were not Video on Demand the last time I flew them.
Dec 10th, 2010, 04:36 AM

Wally, did you NEVER get your luggage or is it just delayed for a day or two? I'm flying on AP in April.
Dec 10th, 2010, 04:56 AM

I was delayed in Fiji due to mechanical problems. The plane arrived from LAX into Nadi at around 5:30 a.m. I was suppose to fly to New Zealand around 10:00 but it was delayed until 4:00 p.m. They sent everyone to a nice hotel for breakfast and a shower with a room access. They brought us all back to the airport for the 4:00 p.m. flight but we didn't have access to our luggage during that time. I finally went swimming in my black underware.

On another situation, they put everyone up in a hotel in Fiji the eve of New Year's Eve. I don't remember if he got our suitcase for that or not.

They don't have extra planes. I heard they lease a couple of 747-400 from Singapore Airlines.
Dec 10th, 2010, 04:57 AM

Yes, always got our luggage at the end of the flight.
Dec 10th, 2010, 06:02 AM

Indeed, those two 747-400s are from Singapore Airlines. Some of the first deliveries, from 1989. Same age as DL's.

But if you're going to Fiji, it's not like you have a lot of choices. Or are you simply going to Sydney?
Dec 10th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I would fly to Fiji for 2 days, then Sydney and New Zealand, it's a group travel and flying this way is less expensive.
Dec 13th, 2010, 10:46 AM

Wally, thanks for the update. I will be flying Air Pacific in January LAX to SYD and then a stopover in Fiji on the way back. We have seating assignments in the small coach cabin behind business. We are considering asking at the airport for seats in the upper deck cabin. Have you ever been up there? Any advantage or disadvantage? Thanks for any incite.
Dec 13th, 2010, 01:48 PM

British Airways has 20 seats in the upper deck and Air Pacific has 72. I think you are better in the front cabin, that is where I usually sit. It can be chilly up there near the emergency exit. I personally like the seat in front of the emergency exit. No one bumps the back of my seat and I can put things under my seat and the seat in front of me. BTW, they are good about making people move their seat up during mealtime.

When you are in Fiji, get out to the islands. There is a one day tour that will take you to several islands, including the Tom Hanks island. Book it before you get there if you can as it does fill up quick. Free beer and wine on the boat, too.

Are you going to do the Bridge Climb in Sydney? I did it. It isn't hard and it isn't scary but you can not bring your camera. Nothing can be in your pockets. Take the fairy to Manly Beach--it is cheap and relaxing.

It was kinda fun sitting around the bars at the Fiji airport watching everyone make deals with the bartenders. "Can I get a beer if I give you one USD, one Canadian Dollar and one New Zealand Dollar?" reply, well, I guess. You can always use the credit card.

Bula!
Dec 13th, 2010, 07:06 PM

Thanks for all the advise, Wally. Plan on doing most of what you mentioned.
Dec 19th, 2010, 05:50 PM

I just did another Air Pacific flight Saturday night. I'm now in Auckland. They served a nice turkey sandwich after take-off. It was raining at LAX and water was coming into the lane in the front of the economy class. They had to move a few people. Fasten seat belt sign was on for only the first five minutes, the last ten minutes and for five minutes near the middle of the flight. The older 747-400 is in good shape. They served a nice breakfast two hours before landing in Fiji. There are a lot of duty free stores at the airport. Friendly staff on the plane.
Dec 19th, 2010, 05:51 PM

BTW, they had my American Airlines number printed on my boarding pass.
Dec 22nd, 2010, 07:06 PM

I just checked my miles on the www.AA.com website and the miles have already posted on my Air Pacific flight for Dec. 18 and 20.
Dec 25th, 2010, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the update Wally. We are AA Advantage and want to get credit for our Air Pacific flights. Happy Holidays.
Dec 31st, 2010, 06:58 AM

We flew Air Pacific back from Fiji to LAX. There were two of us and because we like to sit in a two seat configuation nest to each other we reserved one of two of three sets of two seat set ups on that plane. There aren't many of them and my guess is they go fast. They are way in the very back of the plane, but it was worth it not to have a stranger sitting next to me for 11 hours. It was actally a pretty nice flight.
Dec 31st, 2010, 09:59 AM

iamq, we're taking that flight in April. Was the flight full? I have booked a window and an aisle and hope that the middle seat will remain empty. What's the chance????
Thanks.
Dec 31st, 2010, 10:52 AM

Hi Jane,

I think it was pretty full. When you're in the back of the plane like we were, it is sort of hard to judge that.

Good luck with your strategy and have a great time in Fiji.
Dec 31st, 2010, 02:23 PM

iamq: Thanks for the heads up. I tried to change our seats this morning for our upcoming flights but all sets of two seats were taken. Gal said to try at the airport. Wish I had known this when I made the reservations last July! Oh well, live and learn.
Dec 31st, 2010, 02:30 PM

BarbAnn

I like your strategy and believe all you need to say is would you prefer an isle or window seat if they put someone between you. I can't imagine anyone would want to split the two of you up.
Dec 31st, 2010, 02:36 PM

Well, but does any of you want to sit in the middle? For example, I used to put my mom and dad both with inside aisle on a 3-3-3 configuration, leaving a middle seat. But if the flight is full and someone does sit there, neither my mom or dad will want to move, so that stranger will indeed remain in the middle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO