Air Pacific--Miles with AA?

Jan 11th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Air Pacific--Miles with AA?

According to the websites, I can only get miles flying Air Pacific if I fly to LAX on American? If I use another airline, I won't?

Has anyone ever gotten miles on American Flying Air Pacific?
Jan 11th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Where do see that? I don't see any restriction about how you get to LA on AA's website.
Jan 11th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

"Earn a minimum of 500 AAdvantage miles each time you purchase and fly on a published eligible fare ticket on Air Pacific. Cooperative service flights operated by carriers other than American Airlines may not be eligible for mileage accrual. Flight mileage may not accrue on flights operated by carriers other than oneworld carriers."

Eligible Air Pacific Fare Classes* Class of Service Purchased Fares booked in: Mileage Accrual Percentage
Economy Class B, G, H, K, L, M, O, Q, V*, W, Y 100%

Jan 11th, 2007, 10:11 AM

Oh, I see what you mean. Say if you fly Florida-LAX on "ConU Airways" with a Air Pacific flight number, you WILL NOT get AA miles on that flight. You're correct.
Jan 11th, 2007, 10:19 AM

Wally, ya goin to Fiji??
Jan 11th, 2007, 11:05 AM

On the other hand if you fly on Air Pathetic using the AA codeshare flight no. you will get full miles and q-pts just as if you were on AA metal. Might cost more, though.
Jan 11th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

I'm keeping all of my options open for Spring Break. Actually, Florida isn't a bad place to be during Spring Break. There is a flood of tourist coming from Europe to Miami, so those flights are high. BA only has two 747's coming into Miami and they could probably fill 4. Those Europeans think our dollar is so cheap--wait tell they pay $8 for a beer and realize that doesn't include the tip and tax.

I was thinking about Singapore, then Bangkok, then California and now I'm thinking Fiji. I've only got 9 days.

Gardyloo: Will BA give me 25% miles if I book Air Pacific with an Air Pacific number?

I guess I could always go to Miami's Hallover Beach and work on my "Allover tan."
Jan 11th, 2007, 11:23 AM

Gardyloo: Will BA give me 25% miles if I book Air Pacific with an Air Pacific number?

No, they won't give you anything. They need to save their money to pay for the "free" drinks served to pax coming to Florida.

Of course BA may still be out on strike by then. Think of all the money they'll save then.
Jan 11th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

When is BA suppose to go on strike? I booked a Business Class ticket with them in June. I heard my seat is next to the Air Marshall. Better not slobber my wine too much. I plan to use the toilet in the back of the upper deck. Don't want to make those guys nervous.
Jan 11th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Last I heard the strike vote was scheduled for Jan 12 but it may have slipped, since that's tomorrow and there's nothing on the boards about current posturing. Maybe it's all been settled and I'm just a fearmonger.
Jan 12th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

If I book the ticket, LAX to NAN on Air Pacific, the price is:

$992.13 Air Pacific's Website
$1131 Qantas Website
$2610 American's Website

These prices are for the same flight on Air Pacific.

Could I get miles with BA or Continental if I booked the ticket with Qantas?

Anyone think I should pay an extra $1617 to get miles with American?
Jan 12th, 2007, 06:42 AM

wally - You are asking the same question over and over.

The answer is: You can't get miles on a partner's partner. Meaning you can't fly Airline Z's plane and earn miles on Airline X's FF program, even though you bought a ticket on Airline Y that is a partner of both.

Air Pacific is not a partner of Continental. Just as ConU is not a partner of AA.
Jan 12th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Well I got miles with Continental when I flew from Sydney to Hobart on Qantas. Not a lot, but it was a short flight.

Didn't Gardyloo say that if it had an American Airlines flight number (which it does) I would get miles?

Next time you go to Europe, Rkkwan, why don't you fly Virgin. You will get miles with Continental. Virgin has some of the best entertainment programming in the business.

I was flipping through my Directv pay per view channels last night and noticed that most of the movies available were movies I watched on the Qantas flight recently.
Jan 12th, 2007, 07:17 AM

What Gardyloo said is true, BUT, you have to buy the ticket from AA with AA flight number. Just because the flight has an AA flight number does not mean that you will get AA miles.

Reporting from Honolulu. Heading home tonight.....
Jan 12th, 2007, 07:20 AM

Again, it's the metal that counts. Is the metal a partner of your FF program? And especially for Continental, their Onepass Partner page has very specific information about what airline you can earn miles with.

For example, for Qantas, it's Qantas-operated flights only. Not Air Pacific. But say, for KLM, then it's KLM-, KLMcityhopper-, KLMuk- and KLMexcel-operated ones.

As for Virgin, they don't fly from IAH. Why fly VS via Newark or somewhere to London when I can fly IAH-LGW non-stop on CO?

And I had flown them in 2000 BOS-LGW before they phased out their 4th-hand 747-200s with 29" pitch. That left a very bad taste in my mouth.
Jan 12th, 2007, 07:33 AM

BA strike update -

Apparently BA has struck a deal with the pilots' and the Transport and General Workers' unions; the TGWU strike ballot is due on Monday but the leadership supported the deal; the pilots just consented today. However, now the GMB (nee General Municipal Boilermakers) union says they don't like their part of the deal so they're recommending authorizing a strike - vote scheduled for 17 Jan, which would put them on the street in mid-February.

So let's see... harmonic convergence? BA on strike, Alitalia either on strike or bankrupt or both, Delta merging with USAir or Northwest or Home Depot, American at war with Expedia... happy winter, all.
Jan 12th, 2007, 07:35 AM
HKP

Should probably make this a new post, but seems related:

If I want to fly US to Sydney and use miles to upgrade for the transpacific part, is United the only airline on which I can do that? I have miles on AA, UA, and Delta, but it looks like I can't use my US-carrier miles to upgrade on any partner airlines (e.g., can't use AA miles to upgrade on Qantas part of the itinerary). Correct?
Jan 12th, 2007, 07:38 AM

Need to add to my above reply:

If you buy a ticket with Air Pacific flight number and it's one of the following fare codes

B, G, H, K, L, M, O, Q, W, Y

then you will get 100% of miles flown

BUT, these will not be elite qualifying miloes and thuis no points as well...

OTPH,

if you buy a ticket from AA on Air Pacific and it has AA flight number on the ticket then not only will you get 100% miles flown but the miles will be elite qualifying and you will also get elite qualifying points.

and finally....

you don't have to fly AA to get to LAX. Just make sure you provide Air Pacific with your AAdvantage number when you check in at LAX if you are flying under Air Pacific flight number.

Jan 12th, 2007, 07:39 AM

You can't use AA miles to upgrade on any partner flights, codeshared or not.....
Jan 12th, 2007, 07:44 AM

And internationally on United you can only upgrade with miles on certain fare classes - M and H if memory serves, which are far from UA's cheapest seats (usually around 25-30% more.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO