Air from London or Amsterdam to Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a family holiday in Varenna for June 2005. There are 10 couples departing from Detroit, Chicago or Minneapolis. Any of us can get a non-stop reasonably priced flight from our home airport to London, Frankfort or Amsterdam. We are considering taking Ryanair or another budget air carrier from there to Italy, Maybe Bergamo. Spending a day or 2 in Bergamo and then training to Varenna. We aren't flying together, just need to meet in Varenna.

I have found NWA flight to London Gatwick and a Ryanair flight from London Stansted to Bergamo. I understand Stansted is about 30 minutes from London Victoria via the Gatwick express. Victoria to Stansted is about 40 minutes via Stansted Express (or vice versa). There is approx 3 hours from arrival to departure. Is this a reasonable trek? We are flexible with dates but don't want to spread the travel over too many days. Obviously we could fly into Milan and train to Varenna but it's lots more expensive and not as much adventure. Anyone have other suggestions re making connections from one of the major airports to a continental carrier and convenient train?
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 07:25 PM

Three hours is totally NOT enough. First, you have to go through UK immigration and wait for your bags.

The Gatwick Express takes about 35 minutes, not 30.

2nd, you need to connect to the Tube at Victoria to either Tottenham Hale or Liverpool Street to ride the Stansted Express. The transfer at Victoria from the train to the Tube is not as easy as it sounds, requiring multiple escalator rides and walking. So, you're talking about a lot of luggage hauling at two stations, plus riding the tube.

3rd, you'll need to arrive at Ryanair's check-in counter 40 minutes prior to departure, or else your ticket is worthless.

Add to that a safety margin if your plane from the US arrive late, you'll about 5 hours to switch to Ryanair comfortably. I suggest you look at alternative means to get to Italy.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - that is precisely the info I was seeking. Was not aware of the Victoria connection, thought it was simply a transfer within the station.

Now the project is to find a regional airline from Gatwick, Schiphol or Frankfurt with connections to regional Italian airports. Bergamo, Milan, or Pisa seem reasonable. Open to other's experiences. My ideal is to fly to one the major airports listed, make the regional leg and spend a coouple days wherever that plane lands. Then train to Varenna. Return does not have to be from same airport, we just need to end up at our original point of entry. I.E. Fly to Bergamo, spend a couple days, train to Varenna, there several days, train to Florence, spend a couple days, then fly back to LGS/AMS/FFH.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 03:53 PM

EasyJet offers flights from Gatwick to Italy. Note that you still should allow plenty of time, because you have to go through customs and pick up your luggage, and then repeat the process in reverse to check in for the EasyJet flight. I'd definitely allow 4 hours, because I'd expect your arrival to be late.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 05:25 PM

If you connect thru London, don't bother changing airport. The hassle and risks involved in this far outweigh any saving you might have made. If your original flight into LON was late, causing you to miss your Ryanair/Easyjet flight, then you would be screwed. Last minute fares on these airlines are VERY expensive.

Airlines such as BA, KLM and even the American carriers should offer reasonable through deals all the way to your final destination in Europe. I would have thought this particularly so with NW/KLM so strong in MSP.

Changing airport in London would in no way add to the adventure of your trip. It would just serve as a bleak welcome to Europe.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

More good info - thanx. I'm picking up the idea that my plan is not based in reality.

There's no problem getting a thru flight from DTW or MSP because both are NWA/KLM hubs. The problem, particularly in DTW, is that NWA is so dominant in the market that they do not have to be competitive. Therefore there are not alot of airfare bargains to be had.

One tiny bit of time saving - we fly carry-on (makes the train part much easier) so luggage will be with us. Maybe we'll spend a couple days in London instead of trying to make same day connections.