Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Air France: Why so costly? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/air-france-why-so-costly-222310/)

Gerry K May 19th, 2002 04:58 AM

Air France: Why so costly?

I've been eager to book a flight on Air France to Paris (September) but find their fares to be far higher than those of other airlines. (I've used Travelocity, Expedia, and Air France's web-sites to book.) Is there a secret way of finding a reasonable Air France fare?<BR><BR>Many thanks,<BR><BR>Gerry K

Tom May 19th, 2002 05:31 AM

Where are you flying from?<BR>When? The end or the begining of September?<BR>For how long?<BR>

Tom May 19th, 2002 05:32 AM

How costly?

Gerry K May 19th, 2002 07:53 AM

I intend to fly from one of the NYC airports to CDG. One of the oddities of my booking experience is that if you book the exact same flight, using the exact same times and airplanes, with both Delta and Air France (They're travel partners), the fare on Air France is three hundred dollars more. It makes no sense. (JFK-CDG-ZRH-JFK)<BR><BR>GK

duh May 19th, 2002 08:51 AM

Maybe it doesn't but all you have to do is to book with Delta or whichever airlines sells cheaper ticket. How much do you want to pay?<BR>Do you really have to fly AF? They are not better or worse than Delta, American or Continental

Gerry K May 19th, 2002 10:21 AM

To Duh,<BR><BR>I have always tried to book with the carrier of the nation I'm flying to because of the "already there" feeling, and I'm glad that I've done that. (Aeroflot, Aer Lingus, Alitalia, etc.)<BR><BR>The question remains: Why is Air France so expensive, and can a reasonable fare be found by some method I'm unaware of.<BR><BR>GK

asdf May 19th, 2002 11:11 AM

Pricing has to do with load factors and many other considerations, including how many seats have been sold and what they think they can get for the remaining seats.<BR><BR>But with Delta being $300 less, you've already solved your problem. Just book with them and enjoy the Air France service and ambience.

Gerry K May 19th, 2002 04:12 PM

Ah, such a simple solution, ASDF. However, it presumes they were BOTH reasonably priced, which they were not.<BR>($1400 & $1100, JFK to CDG)<BR><BR>GK

Jim Rosenberg May 19th, 2002 04:45 PM

Those fares are fare more than I would be willing to pay. If I were you, I would hold off and wait for the September fare to "come into season". I'd bet that you can save 40%-50% off that range.

Greg Gallagher May 20th, 2002 01:18 PM

Gerry K. You must be looking in the wrong places. I booked with Air France, a hotel stay, and other added ameneties(sp?) during the beginning of Septemeber last year (actually landed (9/11) for two and only paid $2300.00 for the whole deal. If you are going the very first week in Septemeber remember that is fashion week. That could have a major bearing on the cost.

Gerry K May 21st, 2002 05:10 AM

Greg, I concur.<BR><BR>I've found many packages that are substantially cheaper than a flight by itself, but I have a free Hilton Honors week in Paris and don't need a package.<BR>(I have not looked into the possibility of booking a package and using only the flight portion. Not yet. In fact, I don't even know if that can be done. Does anyone know?)<BR><BR>GK<BR><BR>

xxx May 24th, 2002 06:02 AM

I usually find them alot cheaper than any of the other airlines. Have you tried using different flight times? <BR>I booked a flight with multiple destinations and (4 different flights) and only paid $1062 which I thought was a deal.

Louis May 24th, 2002 07:31 AM

My experience with Air France (at least from Montreal) has been that you can get very good deals if you go through a travel agent. They have incentives that some agents pass along to the consumer.<BR><BR>We went Montreal - Paris - Venice - Rome- Paris- Montreal last month for about $800 Canadian (approx. $500 US!. Done Montreal - Paris - Prague in high season last year for about $US 700).<BR><BR>Another time, I got a Montreal - Paris business class ticket for less than $600 US. The deal was for Montreal - Paris - Amesterdam. I just trew away the Paris - Amsterdam tickets. Go figure...<BR><BR>Maybe it would be worth going through Montreal via Delta???<BR><BR><BR>

a Professional Agent May 24th, 2002 01:45 PM

Yes, you can book a package and not use the hotel portion.<BR>I do it often to save clients $$.<BR>Have the agent book the lowest hotel for the minimum number of nights required.

Andre May 25th, 2002 08:08 PM

I just priced AF mid-week departure in September for about $850.00 and weekend departure for about $950.00. They fly from Newark or JFK. Go to Orbitz.com.<BR>Good Luck

Garry May 26th, 2002 05:24 AM

I just got my ticket on Continental from EWR to CDG for $584. Depart 9/9/02 and return 9/26/02. All taxes included. Air France had them this morning on their website for $729 for the same dates. Why would anyone want to pay so much more is beyond my imagination.

Garry May 26th, 2002 06:29 AM

I forgot to add that I bought my tickets directly from www.continental.com