Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Air France Rant (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/air-france-rant-343387/)

Suspaul Apr 14th, 2008 02:41 PM

Air France Rant

Sorry but I just needed to vent...booked a RT ticket last week for a last minute trip, non-stop Sea to CDG leaving next week. Today I went back online to check on available seating and guess what, the same itinerary is now $211 USD less than it was last week! I called AF and was told that they do not honor fare changes, that my ticket is non-refundable and I could cancel at a $200 penalty to me and rebook at the current cost. Oh well, I am going to Paris but just felt the need to vent. Thanks for listening.

QueScaisJe Apr 14th, 2008 03:02 PM

The silver lining: Rebook and think of it as saving $11.

Suspaul Apr 14th, 2008 03:19 PM

So not worth doing that! Unfortunately I guess I just needed to rant! Thanks for listening.

dawnnoelm Apr 14th, 2008 03:50 PM

Oh Suspaul! Ugh..NEVER go back and look again! LOL

Momliz Apr 14th, 2008 03:54 PM

could you do anything with YAPTA - don't know how that works, but I've heard that you can get a refund of the difference. maybe you needed to book through them?

rkkwan Apr 14th, 2008 04:16 PM

YAPTA is just a service to notify you when the fares drop. The airlines' own change fees still apply.

Suspaul Apr 14th, 2008 07:54 PM

Thanks everyone! dawnnoelm, you are so right, never, ever go back and check. Lesson learned. Ha

On the bright side, only booking my flight last week I had a hard time finding an apartment and had to spend more than I originally planned, had I waited it would have been harder, so....

Can't wait, only one more week.

W9London Apr 15th, 2008 08:51 AM

Suspaul,

I presume you did read the terms and conditions (non-refundable etc) when you purchased the original ticket. So I really don't understand what you're ranting about. Airlines are in capacity management business--surely they will lower or raise fares if they see business merit to it.

Let's put it this way. Do you go back to a petrol station and ask for a difference if you filled your car up already and found someone else selling cheaper petrol a few miles down the road?

P_M Apr 15th, 2008 05:03 PM

If that happened to me I would be bummed, but I can honestly say I've won at this game a lot more often than I've lost. I bet you have too, but nobody wins all the time. But here's the really bright side--You're going to Paris!! I am jealous. :-[

Bon Voyvage!!

seafox Apr 16th, 2008 03:10 AM

when dinner service occurs ask for 2 bottles of wine and 2 pieces of bread. Consider it a small victory.

lbodem Apr 16th, 2008 09:18 AM

"C'est la Vie"

Suspaul Apr 16th, 2008 09:07 PM

P_M, you are right.....the bright side is I am going to Paris, and yes, again you're right, you win some and lose some.

What I don't understand is the negative feedback, why bother replying to the post? I said I just needed to vent, and yes, I guess that was wrong. So accept my apology. Won't happen again.
S