Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Air France customer service? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/air-france-customer-service-186591/)

jj Jan 21st, 2003 01:17 PM

Air France customer service?

Due to a snow storm on xmas day, my AF flight from BOS to FLR, via CDG, was cancelled. I was eventually put on a Virgin flight the next day to LHR connecting to CDG. As AF is a partner with Delta, I was surprised to see I did not get my FF credit for this leg of my flight from Delta. Delta said I had to call AF for a record. I called AF reservations and they sent me to AF customer relations. Customer Relations only had an answering machine telling me to call another machine. I called the other number and it referred me to CR. So today I tried again and CR told me that only Customer Service could help me but then told me CS will not talk to anyone. The CR rep worked in baggage (all CR people work in baggage she said) and could only give me a fax number for CS as that is the only way they will ever respond to anyone. <BR><BR>Is this great Customer service or what?

alyssa Jan 21st, 2003 04:13 PM

Hi JJ,<BR><BR>When I flew the exact same route in May with AF, Delta told me to just send in copies of my AF ticket receipt and they would credit me the mileage. I guess even though they are partners you don't automatically get credited FFM with Delta when you fly AF. <BR>

Bill Jan 21st, 2003 05:22 PM

<BR>This is really a Delta issue. It's a Delta program and they surely have instructions on their web page and in the FF guide that they sent you when you enrolled on how to get credit for missing miles. I would expect that AF wouldn't know what to do, just as surely as I would expect that Virgin wouldn't know what to do about your Delta miles.<BR><BR>With the switch to Virgin on your outbound flight, I would expect to not get credit for any of the trip, especially outbound from CDG.<BR><BR>The credit for missing miles instructions that FF programs give usually want a copy of the receipt and the boarding passes (as proof that you flew). Because you flew Virgin, do not be surprised if they don't credit you for that leg. With your receipt and boarding passes, include a letter explaining the carrier change. <BR><BR>When you call your FF program and you don't get the response you want, then call back again until you get the answer you want. Speak to a super. Politely, of course. Call until you get a person who is willing to waive their policy (if they have one against giving you credit for the Virgin flight), a person who understands that disappointing a loyal customer is not good business.<BR>

AA Jan 21st, 2003 07:37 PM

If I'm reading your post correctly, you do not have any boarding passes and/or paper tickets if they were issued. If that's correct, this will be more difficult. You have to understand that as far as Delta is concerned, they don't have any record of you flying, since you were transfered to Virgin. Since I never dealt with AF, I can't give you any definite answers, but a written letter to their offices, here or in Paris usually will get a response. Over the years I found that that regular mail gets better response than phone calls or e-mail with airlines. I would look at their website, where I'm sure they must have a physical address. Put it to the attention of a manager/supervisor or something similar. It may take some time but eventually you should get results. At the same time call Delta and make sure they put a note in your file that you are working with AF to get proof, just in case they have some cut-off time of posting miles. <BR>Suggestion for everybody - keep your boarding passes till your miles get posted. That's the easiest way to correct any problems.<BR>Good luck!

Gerry K Jan 22nd, 2003 05:37 AM

You haven't truly experienced Air France's customer service until you've been stranded at CDG, along with a bazillion others, during one of its frequent strikes (The French love strikes). Rather than being truthful with you and telling you you're going nowhere any time soon, each employee sends you to another employee until you figure out all by yourself that you're going nowhere. Been there; done that (September), and it won't happen again.<BR><BR>Gerry K<BR><BR>

jj Jan 22nd, 2003 12:04 PM

Thanks to each of you for your input.<BR><BR>True, I did not keep my boarding pass. I wrongly assumed they would know that I flew (good advice on keeping boarding passes). AF made the reservations with Virgin which AF should have a record of, otherwise how does Virgin get reimbursed? I will be faxing my request but if I never get a reply, I guess I'm screwed.<BR><BR>Gerry K- You will appreciate this: On my return from FLR to BOS, our connection was tight at CDG. We arrived at an AF counter but nobody was there except for two women at the extreme far end. We approached one of the women and said that we needed boarding passes for the flight to BOS. She said to go to counter two. I said there is nobody at counter two. I swear to God this is what she said &quot;Of course not because they leave fifteen minutes before the flight departs&quot;. I explained that in FLR they said you would have boarding passes waiting for us as the computer was down. She grudingly provided us with boarding passes. Thank God the plane was late departing. I think the lady at the AF counter felt like we really put her out.