Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Air Fares from Los Angeles to Paris .... Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2019, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello.... I feel like a stockbroker these days. Having to play the guessing game of when airfares will rise or drop -- and then when to buy. I've not had this problem in the past because my choices of places to visit in Europe were many. However, I'm taking my 2 nieces for spring break to Paris. So, now that makes 3 traveling. I would prefer to go on Delta or Air France since I'm a member of their Sky Miles family. But, both Delta and Air France are currently priced out of the market. The other option is to forego miles and stick with the price since I'm paying 100% for the 3 of us, and then paying for 2 separate hotel rooms for a week. I've looked at Norwegian Airlines and I do have mixed reservations. Even after including the "add-on" of baggage and seat selection, there is still that issue of reliability and excess baggage. What I've been reading is the airline to Paris is decent, but some people get hit with $100.00 for excess going and coming. That would be $300.00 to me if I got his with a 1/2 pound of overage or more. So, any suggestions? The plan is to leave the evening of March 29, 2019 and return April 5, 2019. Any good air fares out there to Paris ? I'm ready to book the flight. THANK YOU for any assistance and/or feedback ~
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 12:06 PM

You only get hit with excess baggage if you are over your allowance. I guess the reviews did not mention that. It is the same with many airlines, especially those that use self service kiosks for weighing and labelling luggage.So what you do if you are 1/2 pound overweight is take out 1/2 pound of stuff from your luggage. Nothing to worry about if you are within your limits.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I was aware of that -- but I'm traveling with 2 young ladies and they love to shop. Also, from some of the postings I've read, Norwegian came off as relentless. Even for me, 20 lb limit is pushing it.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 01:06 PM
J62

Norwegian at $789.80 for LowFare+ including seat reservations, meals, & 1 checked bag at 20kg (= 44 lbs, not 20 pounds) seems like a good plan. If 3 bags are over the weight limit by half pound, then simply move 1/2 from 2 of them into the 3rd and pay for a single excess.

Norwegian flies 787 dreamliners on this route.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 01:25 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
Better yet see how much it costs to check a 4th bag or to bring another carryon. I've also used Mail box etc in Paris to mail back a 13 pound box. It was close to the cost for another checked bag but I didn't care. I've also used other tricks to lighten my luggage but you do have options if luggage is a concern.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you J62 ....now that makes good sense. I will definitely go with that ! You are all so AWESOME !!! Peace and everything good to you ~
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 02:07 PM

Low fare+ also includes an allowance of 10kgs of hand luggage each. Norwegian are strict but so are other airlines.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 03:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
No one needs 20kg of luggage (even big shoppers). Tell the girls if they do go overweight - the fees are on them (and hold them to it). You are treating them -- the VERY least they can do is stay under that very generous weight allowance.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 03:35 PM

Yes just buy the LowFare+ since you're going to want seat reservations to all sit together anyways. Make them pack light going over. Reserve seats together as soon as possible..

I brought my own food and water bottle..I think Norwegian gives free water unlike some of the other cheap airlines. If I remember correctly they don't provide blankets or pillows for free and you need your own earbuds for movies. They have seatback entertainment. Nice planes if you get a 787, especially for the price.

Last edited by mlgb; Jan 24th, 2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 05:44 PM

Here's a hot tip:
In November, when I flew Norwegian from Oslo to Ft. Lauderdale, I received an email asking if'd like to bid on an upgrade. I bid the lowest amount that was permitted and was told I had something like a 5% chance of the bid being accepted. It WAS accepted and (without my asking) they refunded the additional fees we had paid for seat selection and checked bags.
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 05:33 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I would look at air+hotel bundles, using either airline websites like https://www.aavacations.com/ or https://vacations.united.com/ or the likes of Expedia. In a couple of random searches with your dates, I can see total prices (air + 2 hotel rooms) that come in between $300 and $1000 cheaper per person than decent do-it-yourself options booking air and hotels separately, with some as low as $1000 (Expedia) or $1200 (AA/United) per person including both flights and hotel. The price difference obviously has to do with hotel rating and location, but there are dozens and dozens of hotel options available.

FWIW, there are packages that include premium economy flights for around $300 - $400 more per person than basic economy. This would give you free baggage (two pieces at 22 kg each) and obviously a more comfortable seat, for a price that would still be fairly competitive with the cheapest DIY options. Worth checking out.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Jan 25th, 2019 at 05:41 AM.
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 11:59 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
One more note - IAG (parent of British Airways Aer Lingus, Vueling and Iberia) has decided not to bid on Norwegian, causing Norwegian's stock price to fall 20% and leading people to think IAG's plan might be to wait and buy the company just before it folds. I doubt if anything dramatic will happen before the OP's trip, but it's another warning shot.
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to All !!! I just booked my flight from Los Angeles to Paris for $689 roundtrip per person on Virgin Atlantic. It has a stopover in London, and doesn't get into Paris until 10. But that's okay because we will have 5 full days to enjoy Paris.
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 02:21 AM

Do you mean 10PM in CDG? Since it cannot be 10AM. If so you have a layover of about 5+ hours at LHR? Is that including checked luggage?

Last edited by Odin; Jan 26th, 2019 at 02:23 AM.
Old Jan 27th, 2019, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Yes, sorry... it arrives in Paris around 10 p.m. and with a 5 hour layover in London. Yes, the airfare also includes checked luggage. I did pay a bit extra to upgrade the seats, but still got an amazing airfare. The flight leaves Los Angeles to London on Virgin Atlantic, then switch flights on British Air. The nice? I still can get my Delta Sky Miles from Virgin Atlantic.

Best, ~