Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

My Topic TitleOverhead luggage for Embraer 145 jets?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is good over head luggage, with wheels, for Embraer 145 commuter jets?

They say 9" x 14" x 22".

Please be specific.

Thank you for your help.
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 10:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>They say 9" x 14" x 22".<<

Who is 'they'? I've never been on an Embraer 145 that had overheards large enough for a 22 inch rollabord. Every single time I've been on one, those sized bags had to be checked or gate checked. American Eagle (AA) for example tells you up front that bags larger than briefcases are subject to 'valet service' . . . which is their term for gate checking.

Which airline?
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 03:46 AM

Often bags the size you describe are handed over at the bottom of the stairs going up into the aircraft and delivered at the same place, or nearby, after landing. It is nowhere near as time-consuming as checking in the normal fashion and then waiting for delivery by a luggage carrousel.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 09:35 AM

Rollaboards are gate-checked on the small regional jets. Delta, for example, puts a pink tag on the rollaboards and passengers leave them at the end of the boarding bridge before stepping on the plane. At the end of the flight, the passengers wait in the bridge and the bags are brought to them.

When I fly the regional jets, I carry on a duffel bag that fits in the overhead.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 07:03 PM

No bag with wheels can be reliably brought aboard a smaller commuter jet. The key to carrying your luggage on is to take a big without wheels. Often these will get by even when they are the same interior size as a small wheeled bag. This has happened to me time and time again. I was even asked to check a small hard-sided rollaboard.
Old Oct 8th, 2015, 11:22 PM

I recommend travelling bag with soft-side bags so that they can be made to fit on the irregular shaped space of the overhead bin. One of my friend has a back-pack type soft case with wheels, measuring only 19x13x7, and he still has trouble getting it into regional jet overhead bins, and typically had to place it under the seat in front of his legs.
Old Oct 9th, 2015, 05:28 AM

Just pack your standard 9"x14"x22"roll-aboard and be prepared to "gate check" it (as described above) when you board the aircraft. You'll be doing that along with just about half your fellow passengers. You'll reclaim the bag as you exit the aircraft. It's an easy process and takes only a few minutes to retrieve your bag when you deplane. If you happen to be sitting in the rear of the aircraft your bag may even be there waiting for you when you deplane.

Put any valuables, medications and sundries in a small (hand held or shoulder) soft sided backpack or duffle that you can stuff in the overhead bin. Overhead bin storage on Embraer 145's or any other commuter size aircraft is extremely limited.