Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Aer Lingus cancelled my flight (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/aer-lingus-cancelled-my-flight-226590/)

laura May 30th, 2002 07:08 AM

Aer Lingus cancelled my flight

I purchased a ticket from NY to Dublin for travel on Saturday June 1 from Travelocity. It is electronic ticket. Travelocity says contact Aer Lingus, but I cannot get thru to them. I've called other airlines but no one will accept it. They want paper tickets. And no guarantee then depending on the 'kind' of fare I have. Travelocity says cannot give me paper. What can I do?

John May 30th, 2002 07:15 AM

Their pilots are having yet another temper tantrum and holding passengers to ransom with yet another strike.<BR><BR>I hope they go broke soon and the pilots never find work again - they have destroyed this great airline completely.<BR><BR>It seems there will be thousands stranded on transatlantic flights. I don't know of any carrier who will accept your ticket unfortunately.

xxx May 30th, 2002 09:06 AM

I would suggest that you go to the nearest Aer Lingus ticket office (likely to be the airport ticket location) and request that they convert your e-ticket to a paper ticket and endorse it to whichever carrier they (or you) are able to reaccomodate your reservation.<BR><BR>In the future, I would suggest booking through a travel agency, as they would be able to help you out in a much more efficent manner. <BR><BR>Is the aggrivation you are experiencing worth the $30 or so you saved by booking online rather than an agency?

laura May 31st, 2002 02:22 PM

reply to xxx, absolutely not worth the $30.00! I did go to a local agency. They advised to cancel the charge thru the cc company as I did not get what I paid for. My cc company okay with that. Then They sold me a ticket on Delta for LESS than I paid on the net. I am traveling a week later but that works to. I'll give these folks a try next time for sure!

babs May 31st, 2002 03:44 PM

If anyone else gets stuck out there here is a number for Aer Lingus 800-223-6876. This is the dedicated number for strike issues. It is busy so keep trying. <BR><BR>British Air will protect certain flights, especially Inter-European flights. <BR><BR>I had a client en route to Amsterdam with an Aer Lingus connection there when the strike was called. After waiting on hold for hours I fixed it so my client could catch a BA flight from Amsterdam to London when she landed. <BR><BR>It is a pain for everyone I know but at least the other airlines are pitching in.<BR><BR>And a PS for you Vic - it was a consolidator ticket and we still had no problems re-accommodating her.

xxx May 31st, 2002 04:53 PM

Laura, I am glad things worked out for you.<BR><BR>While a number of the Fodors' poster will denigrate the services that travel agents provide, I firmly believe they provide your best travel prices and options, especially in regard to international travel.

David Jun 1st, 2002 01:35 AM

As it looks as though this strike will continue, remember Aer Lingus is part of oneworld, so all carriers in that alliance should be able to help you, so in the US call American, in the UK call BA, in Spain call Iberia etc. They will try and help you best they can.<BR><BR>Good luck

stuck Jun 14th, 2002 10:31 AM

I also was stuck in Ireland during the strike. After waiting in line at the Shannon airport for an hour, the Aer Lingus rep told me my only option was to buy a ticket from another carrier at my own expense, and that I would not be reimbursed. I've since received an email offer to reimburse me for the price of the Aer Lingus ticket, but the price of my ticket with Ryan Air was $80 more. <BR>Aer Lingus also cancelled my flight to Ireland (before the strike even began) and it took 3 hours longer to get there. <BR>After all the hassle getting to and from Ireland, I've concluded it's just not worth it and won't go there again.

What? Jun 14th, 2002 04:04 PM

You are going to avoid an entire AMAZING country because one airline inconvienenced you???????????????