Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Advice needed on travel to US for dual citizen

Advice needed on travel to US for dual citizen

Aug 7th, 2015, 03:57 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2
Advice needed on travel to US for dual citizen

I am travelling to the US from London tomorrow morning with my husband and two children. Husband is Austrian and both children are dual citizens - US and Austrian - and hold both passports.

We just realised my daughters US passport is expired.

I have been told by the embassy that she must travel on her US passport, when travelling to the US, as she is a US citizen.

I cannot get a new one for her in time.

Should we 1. delay our trip which we really do not want to do 2. At the airport just show them both passports and tell them the situation and hope for the best - will they let her travel on her Austrian passport? or 3. The kids travel on their Austrian passport and do not show immigration their US passports and do not mention that they are US citizens...in this case I assume we will need to apply for an ESTA for her?

Thanks very much!
MG123 is offline  
Aug 7th, 2015, 05:15 AM
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,864
I would not "hope for the best." She needs a new U.S. passport. Get it. If that means you have to delay your trip, you delay your trip.
Jeff_Costa_Rica is offline  
Aug 7th, 2015, 06:30 AM
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,506
What will you do when you "hope for the best" and the "best" doesn't happen????

Telling an airline agent or immigration official that contributors on a travel forum told you it would be "OK" won't amount to a hill of beans when they won't let you travel.

Get all your ducks in a row BEFORE you travel.
RoamsAround is offline  
Aug 7th, 2015, 07:56 AM
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 63,516
As I posted on your other thread -- you won't have a choice since almost 100% certainly the airline won't let her on the flight.

Get to the Embassy w/ your tix in hand and get a new passport. They can probably do it as you wait (all day long) otherwise -- your daughter can stay home or or you delay the trip. (Sure hope they aren't a non-refundable, non-changable tickets)
janisj is online now  
Aug 7th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 17,802
Since you were speaking to someone at the embassy, why didn't you ask them? RoamsAround is right--nothing anyone says here is worth a dime, because you need expertise, not Internet advise. Go back to the embassy.
NewbE is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:44 PM.