Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Advice needed on travel to US for dual citizen

Aug 7th, 2015, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

I am travelling to the US from London tomorrow morning with my husband and two children. Husband is Austrian and both children are dual citizens - US and Austrian - and hold both passports.

We just realised my daughters US passport is expired.

I have been told by the embassy that she must travel on her US passport, when travelling to the US, as she is a US citizen.

I cannot get a new one for her in time.

Should we 1. delay our trip which we really do not want to do 2. At the airport just show them both passports and tell them the situation and hope for the best - will they let her travel on her Austrian passport? or 3. The kids travel on their Austrian passport and do not show immigration their US passports and do not mention that they are US citizens...in this case I assume we will need to apply for an ESTA for her?

Thanks very much!
Aug 7th, 2015, 05:15 AM

I would not "hope for the best." She needs a new U.S. passport. Get it. If that means you have to delay your trip, you delay your trip.
Aug 7th, 2015, 06:30 AM

What will you do when you "hope for the best" and the "best" doesn't happen????

Telling an airline agent or immigration official that contributors on a travel forum told you it would be "OK" won't amount to a hill of beans when they won't let you travel.

Get all your ducks in a row BEFORE you travel.
Aug 7th, 2015, 07:56 AM

As I posted on your other thread -- you won't have a choice since almost 100% certainly the airline won't let her on the flight.

Get to the Embassy w/ your tix in hand and get a new passport. They can probably do it as you wait (all day long) otherwise -- your daughter can stay home or or you delay the trip. (Sure hope they aren't a non-refundable, non-changable tickets)
Aug 7th, 2015, 11:28 AM

Since you were speaking to someone at the embassy, why didn't you ask them? RoamsAround is right--nothing anyone says here is worth a dime, because you need expertise, not Internet advise. Go back to the embassy.