Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Advice needed on how to get an aisle seat. (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/advice-needed-on-how-to-get-an-aisle-seat-858636/)

usernameistaken Sep 9th, 2010 11:42 AM

Advice needed on how to get an aisle seat.

I just checked in for my 10:55 PM flight on Air France (Delta codeshare) and noticed that me and my husband were assigned seats smack in the middle of a four-seated row. I am three months pregnant and have the bladder the size of a pea. To avoid bothering a passenger who is not my husband, I will need an aisle seat.

Do you think AF will accomodate me?

rkkwan Sep 9th, 2010 11:46 AM

Go to airport early and beg.

Did you have a seat assigned before? Why didn't you check in at 10:55p last night if this is an issue?

usernameistaken Sep 9th, 2010 11:52 AM

Not a FF or otherwise "special" so didn't think I could pick my seat ahead of time. Never had this issue before (pregnancy) and didn't think you could check in for an international flight (never have been able to before). When I pulled up the website, it asked me if I wanted to check in, which amazed me.

rkkwan Sep 9th, 2010 11:55 AM

Lesson learned. By this time, most of the seats have been assigned and you can only hope that AF have some seats held, and hopefully one of them an aisle seat. Not much else you can do.

Of course, the person who you will climb over many times may decide it's better for him/her to trade with you.

suze Sep 9th, 2010 03:45 PM

Usually you can get a seat assignment at the same time you are buying the ticket online (there's a map of the plane). At this late date, you need to go with rkkwan's suggestion... get to the airport early and throw yourself on their mercy.

DonTopaz Sep 9th, 2010 04:39 PM

usernameistaken typed: <i>To avoid bothering a passenger who is not my husband, I will need an aisle seat.</i>

Or, you could quickly divorce your current husband and marry the guy who's got the aisle seat.

DMBTraveler Sep 10th, 2010 04:38 AM

Rizzuto,

I like your thinking :)

It is difficult to change seats on an International Flight especially since aisle or window seats can be premium.

Savvy travelers check in online, sometimes up to 30 days in advance. Otherwise, get to the airport early and be nice to the agent checking you in.

Good luck, usernameistaken. Hopefully you get a better seat if not now at least on your return which will be a longer flight.

www.dmbflyingcoach.blogspot.com

wally34949 Sep 10th, 2010 06:02 PM

Be glad you are flying a foreign airline. They will turn off the fasten seatbelt sign about five minutes after take-off and you will be able to get up and go to the toilet to your hearts content. If I don't get an isle seat, I usually get up to use the toilet about the time the person next to me is returning from the toilet. This way they only have to get up when I return to my seat.

J62 Sep 10th, 2010 07:24 PM

Wow! I've never heard of being able to check in for a flight 30 days in advance. Please tell us how that's done, dmb.

suze Sep 10th, 2010 08:03 PM

Another strategy, if the plane is not full, see if you can spot better seats empty somewhere nearby, and as soon as they close the aircraft, make your move (keep your carry-ons with you, don't stow them at the original seat).

DMBTraveler Sep 11th, 2010 06:38 AM

J62,

To clarify my "checking in online 30 days in advance", it is in reference to seat selection, the problem "usernameistaken" addressed.

Up to 24 hours in advance for actual flight. Living in a glass house, I guess you already new this :)

DMBTraveler Sep 11th, 2010 06:40 AM

J62,

Next, I am expectin gramamar corection. New you wood :)

DMBTraveler Sep 11th, 2010 06:47 AM

Suze,

You travel on the edge. Carry ons have to be stored before the cabin door is closed. If not it is a safety issue. Store your carry on items then move to a desired empty seat BEFORE THE DOOR CLOSES.

If the seat is claimed move back to your original seat. You have lost nothing.

Trying to do this while hanging onto your carry on items unless they will fit under your seat is not a good idea.

Another problem, most international flights are flown pretty full and onboard storage space fills up quickly. You may end up having to gate check your bag at the last minute :(

DonTopaz Sep 11th, 2010 08:43 AM

DMBTraveler, please don't expect to write nonsense here and then not be corrected.

J62 was quite right to correct your "30-day" comment, and your "clarification" is just as silly. (If an airline lets you select your seats in advance, you can select them as soon as you but the ticket, not just "30 days" before.)

And your more recent statement, that "Carry ons have to be stored before the cabin door is closed" is more nonsense. They have to be stowed before take-off, and effectively that means before push-back.

Please try not to make things up.

Lynnaustin Sep 11th, 2010 08:47 AM

As to moving to better seats I'd be careful and ask the flight attendant before you do that. I saw someone do that on a recent flight and the flight attendant sent them back to their original seats and then made an announcement aout seat switching. Some of the better seats require a premium to be paid and, if you haven't done so, they won't let you sit there.

suze Sep 11th, 2010 09:21 AM

My carryon does fit under the seat. I've never been stopped from doing this and I don't ask the cabin crew. But no I don't try to grab a seat that is a better (more expensive) category, only a better situation within the same area.

suze Sep 11th, 2010 09:24 AM

What rizzuto clarified is true. Cabin baggage needs only to be stored before take-off, NOT before the plane doors are closed. This window of time - after the door closes but before take off - is when you can switch seats, if there are better ones available.

rkkwan Sep 11th, 2010 10:09 AM

suze - I am certain you will be yelled at by a FA if you move around the cabin when the plane is taxiing. May be not in China, but definitely in the US.

suze Sep 11th, 2010 10:12 AM

I'm NOT moving around during taxiing. I move immediately after the door is closed, but before the plane starts moving.

DonTopaz Sep 11th, 2010 10:20 AM

Exactly right, rkkwan. The time to switch is (immediately) after the door is closed, and before the plane begins its push-back.