Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page > AAdvantage award to ? Caribbean/Mexico/Central America

AAdvantage award to ? Caribbean/Mexico/Central America

Dec 21st, 2009, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

AAdvantage award to ? Caribbean/Mexico/Central America

I have enough AA points to go to any of their (or partner airlines) destinations in the Caribbean, Mexico or Central America. I will depart from Toronto. I will choose the destination based on what is the best use of the miles. For example, flights to Cancun are much, much less than a flight to Belize City. In this region, I've only been to Cancun and Guatemala City. I am willing to go anywhere where I haven''t travelled to except Cuba and the Dominican Republic (cheap flights are always available from YYZ to those destinations).

My question, which are the expensive places in the Caribbean to visit (airfare wise) and which places are best to travel to with AA miles.

Thanks.
Dec 21st, 2009, 05:46 PM

American has two-tiered award redemptions. For example, Canada to the Caribbean requires 17,500 miles one way on its Mile SAAver award tickets, which would have limitations on the availability and dates you could fly. If you wanted to loosen the miles pursestrings and get an AAnytime award ticket, you'd spend 35,000 miles one way but would find a lot more availability. So if you have 35,000 miles total to go the Caribbean, I think your choice of destination is going to be determined by what's available for the dates you wish to fly.If you have 70,000 miles to use, most destinations and dates will be available to you.

American's website lets you book award tickets as long as its only AA you plan to fly. Go in there and play around with dates and destinations. In the box where you make reservations, click on "AAdvantage Redeem Miles."
Dec 23rd, 2009, 12:55 PM

Try Grenada. I'm from the U.S. so not sure how much flights are from Toronto, but from here, fares to Grenada are typically in the $650-750 range. I've used AA FF miles to book several trips to GND and have not had problems finding availability. You do have to go thru Miami or San Juan.

Lots to do in Grenada, and the friendliest people we've met in our travels.

Search this Thread