AA unveils internet access during flights

Old Nov 13th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AA unveils internet access during flights

AA has officially unveiled full Internet access on some of it's premier domestic flights. Mainly cross country routes from/to JFK but there are few shorter routes as well. The cost is $12.95 for the entire duration of the flight. You can use a laptop or PDAs. This is a new system and it's ground based, unlike the previous Boeing Connexion system which was satellite based and thus very expensive. It's operated by a company called Aircell and the program is called Gogo.

More info here:

https://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do...oryId=16097931
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

I'm just wondering if the timing is bad for this product, but I believe AirCell is paying for most if not all of the installations and they will get most of the fee in return. AA will just get couple of $ from each sign up.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 09:14 AM
J62

This was avail on my recent JFK-SFO-JFK flights. (domestic 3 cabin metal only, not 2 cabin that may fly international)

Gogo had staff at the gate handing out fliers, but it didn't seem like a lot of takers, even on this Exec Plat/Plat/Gold heavy flight.

I did check it out and you can login to AA.com for free - I was able to see arrival time, my ff account, etc. Not really needed but I was just poking around. Speed was good. For anything else you had to pay the $12.95.

I'm curious what usage % they need to make it profitable - I'm averse to staying in a hotel that charges $12.95/day for internet when there are many that are free. I don't expect to use this service, but can see how it would be convenient if you needed to synch email or work online.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

I'm sure it's going to take couple of years at the very least for this venture to become profitable.

So far AA has the system installed on 762s only but they are planning to extend this service on their 757s and 737 so with time just about any domestic flight will be covered.

Air Canada is on board.

Delta announced that they will do their entire domestic fleet (probably take few months to complete the job) and thus become the first one to boast just that fact.

Virgin America is also on line to offer this service.

I'm sure other domestic airlines will come on board eventually to stay competitive.

So with time this could could become very profitable.

Well have to wait and see. The Boeing Connexion system never sold very well although it was available just about everywhere in the world (satellite based), but very expensive to install, very heavy equipment, thus burning more fuel, and not very cheap for the passengers (something in the vicinity of $30 per flight). I believe that it was Lufthansa that launched the system and had it for about 2 years. Few other major international airlines signed up but Boeing was just throwing big money into the black hole in the sky (no pun intended ) for too long and shut it down.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 10:12 AM

I would think more than twice the passengers will use it at $6.50, compared to at $12.95.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Probably 3 or 4 times as many, rkkwan.

Keith
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 11:45 PM

I know I'd rather buy Internet access than the airlines food. But $13 seems a little high.