AA-Platinum Card

Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

AA-Platinum Card

I just received my AA - Platinum Card. I have a flight scheduled for next month flying coach from Okla City to Manchester, England. Will I be able to use the Admirals Club during my layover in Chicago?
Thank You
Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:36 AM

Yes.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:02 AM

You are also entitled to 2 drink coupons. Sometimes they will try to give you just one, but if you ask they will give you a second one.

I have not used the ORD AC during my international travel because I'm allowed to use the Flagship Lounge when connecting through ORD so I can't really tell you how generous ORD AC is with their coupons. JFK, LAX are very liberal while DFW and MIA not so. All the DFW ACs are the worst.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:28 AM

ORD is okay with drinks chits - however the crowds there fluctuate up and down, so customer-friendliness is variable. (I'm referring to the H/K AC rather than the H concourse one; I seldom use the FL at ORD as it's located way out the K concourse and usually inconvenient for my gates.)

Since MAN-ORD is codeshared by BA, you can also ask (and maybe receive, depending on dragon assignments) for access to the BA Terraces lounge there. Pretty nice lounges as a rule, but sometimes they can be stroppy with admitting non-business class pax.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:29 AM

AAFF, what are the major differences in the Flagship Lounges vs the regular clubs. Never been in a Flagship lounge.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:42 AM

At the moment there are only 3 Flagship lounges, ORD, LAX and LHR. Basically they are first class lounges. First class ticket or top OW status, regardless of the class of service, is the only way to get in.

The main difference is the open bar with nice top of the line booze and depending on the time of the day, some nice free food offerings.

The clubs are smaller, more intimate and more exclusive (for obvious reasons).

The FL agents are great but in my experience there are no better than AC agents when s__t hits the fan...

Recovering nicely from my cold/flu bug in Budapest. The Executive Lounge manager has been outstanding. He makes "special" tea with some very expensive Hungarian brandy and honey everytime he sees me coming down the hallway. I'm feeling a great deal better today, but it was a wasted day. The walk to the lounge was the longest walk I took today....

oh well, what can you do?
Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:51 AM

Gardyloo,

AA flight goes out of terminal 3, BA flights go out of Int. terminal 5.

BA terraces (if there is one to begin with) is located behind security in term 5. No way for the OP to get there unless s/he is willing to purchase a fully refundable BA ticket. Not worth it IMHO.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for such helpful information! I will be traveling with 1-2 business friends...they both have gold status...can they also use the AC in Chicago?
thanks again
loveyblue
Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:25 PM

Unfortunately, as Golds they don't have access and you are only allowed 1 guest (unless it's immediate family).

You can always ask, and if the club is not busy and you ask nicely, perhaps they will allow both guests, but don't count on it.

Good luck and have a great trip!
Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:27 PM

Does anybody have AC membership?

If not then $50 will get 1 of your friends in. Not sure if it's worth it, but the $50 can be applied towards yearly membership fee if it's bought within 1 month.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 03:05 PM

AA flight goes out of terminal 3, BA flights go out of Int. terminal 5.

BA terraces (if there is one to begin with) is located behind security in term 5. No way for the OP to get there unless s/he is willing to purchase a fully refundable BA ticket. Not worth it IMHO.

In which case the BA website is in error.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...t/public/en_gb
Mar 23rd, 2007, 04:31 PM

I didn't say there wasn't a terraces at ORD, I just wasn't sure. The fact remains that it's in term 5 past security.

The OP Is probably flying AA which goes out of terminal 3.

How do you suggest the OP gets to BA Terraces club in that case?
Mar 23rd, 2007, 04:43 PM

Scroll up. I was referring to MAN-ORD, not ORD-MAN. Assumes the OP is returning on the same route.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 05:01 PM

Missed it. Sorry. I was concentrating on the OP's question about ORD.

The flight does not have to be a codeshare in order for the OP getting access to the MAN Terraces. That's what AA uses for it's elites at MAN. The OP will get an invite from the AA ticket agent during check in to gain entrance to the Terraces Club. There is no AC in MAN.

btw, the MAN Terraces is one of the best in the BA system.
Mar 24th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your help. I am looking forward to accessing the AC on this trip.
I guess I understand that there are more than one club in ORD...any differences?
loveyblue
Mar 24th, 2007, 05:43 AM

You will be going out of term 3, concourse H or K, so you want to stay in that area. The bigger and better club is located in the walkway between the 2 concourses.

Your Oklahoma-Chicago flight is probably an American Eagle flight so you will deplane in concourse G where the other club is located, but I would just kepp on walking to the AC in H/K. The AC in G is a tiny club meant for outgoing AE passengers. Nowhere near as nice as the main club. Both ACs are little tired as ORD gets heavy use, but AA did announce some refurbishing and updating for the clubs. Hopefully you'll see some new paint/furniture.....

You can always check out the smaller club on your way back, if you are returning the same way....