Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   AA /JAL to Asia questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/aa-jal-to-asia-questions-421864/)

Kristina Aug 29th, 2008 05:34 PM

AA /JAL to Asia questions

I was finally able to get tickets in Business class using AA miles to Vietnam.
I ended up with this:
LAX-Tokyo on AA169 (code share with JAL)
Tokyo-Hanoi on JAL751

BKK-Tokyo on JAL708 (operated by JL for JO)-Can anyone tell me what this means?
Tokyo-SFO on JAL2
SFO-LAX on AA1931

I did not realize when I booked the ticket that the first leg was operated by AA.
Should I be concerned? I know they have a new business class and it looks good, but I don't know if it will be in place on all flights by the time I fly (July 09I. I also read some bad reviews on of AA's new business seats on www.airlinequality.com
The reviews of JAL's business class are not much better but there is a JAL flight to Tokyo about an hour later than my AA one, should I try to get us on that flight?

I would prefer to fly back from BKK on Cathay Pacific and will continue to check for availability on that. Otherwise can anyone shed some light on the JAL flight from BKK to Tokyo?

Thanks!

Gardyloo Aug 29th, 2008 06:47 PM

JAL has several business class seating configurations - it's probably too early to know which one you'll get. Their aim is to have new "pod" seats throughout the fleet.

Same answer on the BKK-NRT equipment - way too early to know specific aircraft specifications.

As for the AA segment, all of AA's 777s have been fitted with the new biz seats now, so no worries on that front.

The JL for JO thing simply reflects that JAL has various regional subsidiaries. "Operated by JL" means it will be mainline equipment, even the route "belongs" to Jalways (JO), one of those subsidiaries. No big deal.

Paulchili Aug 29th, 2008 08:18 PM

Gardyloo knows AA as well as anyone - would not quarrel with Gardyloo.
Personally I would have a slight preference for JAL over AA business class (prefer seats, service), but it is nothing to loose sleep over.
Cathay business is hard to come by especially on the BKK-HKG route; a little easier HKG-SFO, but keep checking.

Kristina Aug 29th, 2008 08:26 PM

Gardyloo and Paulchili, thanks for the info and reassurance.

Honestly, I am happy just to have tickets as I could not get any for this summer.

I will keep looking for the Cathay flight back to LAX. For me, it's always been the HK-LAX flight that's been non-existant. But still, I'd prefer it because it leaves later in the morning and arrives earlier into LAX (especially if I have to go through SFO on the other flight).

Paulchili Aug 29th, 2008 10:42 PM

Sometimes Cathay releases more award seats closer to the time of the flight - if you are interested,keep checking till close to the time that you are flying.

AAFrequentFlyer Aug 30th, 2008 03:40 AM

It will cost you to change the routing, so If I were you, I would just forget about CX and keep what you have. You would need to cancel the ticket you have now, pay to redeposit the miles and then take out a new ticket.

AA Business class on a 777 is fine. You should not be concerned. All 777s have the new seats. The service is usually very good, but that is the ultimate unknown. The food and entertainment is usually above average.

Kristina Aug 30th, 2008 06:18 AM

AA- The agent I spoke to when I booked my tickets told me I could chage the return flight to Cathay for no cost because the routing is ultimately the same, BKK-LAX. Is that not true? It's only the return flight I'd like to change to Cathay.

AAFrequentFlyer Aug 30th, 2008 09:16 AM

I don't think CX has a flight to Tokyo from Bangkok and then to San Francisco, so yes, it would be a route change as you would connect in Hong Kong.

Kristina Aug 30th, 2008 12:22 PM

Well, I end up at LAX on that ticket. I <i>specifically asked</i> the booking agent if I could change to the Cathay flight and if there would be a fee to do so. He said no, it's ultimately the same route, BKK-LAX.
Of course, he could have been wrong.

I've been reading that Cathay has severely cut back on their flights and what they are offering for awards, so it probably does not matter anyway.

AAFrequentFlyer Aug 30th, 2008 12:36 PM

It would be a route change. The agent was wrong and there would be a fee involved.

BKK-NRT-LAX is different than BKK-HKG-LAX.

Kristina Aug 30th, 2008 01:41 PM

AA-I just called American. I was told yes, there would be a fee of $150 per ticket but not because it's a route change, but because it's a &quot;carrier change&quot;.
However, they said I could change the Tokyo-SFO-LAX to Tokyo-LAX if that opens up on JAL for no fee.

Situations like this are very frustrating. I asked the right question and was given an incorrect answer.
If the answer had been correct, would it have kept me from booking? No. The reservation had an expriation date and had to be booked.
Still, I wish I had been given the correct information from the beginning.

Thanks for letting me know and forcing me to call and get the correct info. :-)