Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   AA cancels non-stop from PHL to Glasgow (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/aa-cancels-non-stop-from-phl-to-glasgow-1658909/)

twina49 Oct 7th, 2018 08:49 AM

AA cancels non-stop from PHL to Glasgow

Just found out that a month after making reservations, AA cancelled their non-stop service from Philadelphia to Glasgow. The announcement was apparently made in August but I didn't find out until today when a family member got an email (they're leaving two weeks before us, so they have different flights). AA hasn't emailed me yet, so all I know is we'll now have a layover in Heathrow.

Since I don't know the details yet, I don't know how this will impact our arrival time, how much it may change our travel via train to Mallaig after we land in Scotland, etc. It's very frustrating....

Sassafrass Oct 7th, 2018 09:26 AM

Boy! I would be on the phone or on line already, finding out the specifics asap. A layover might require a change of many things. You might need to cancel and rebook flight or train. A big pain. I would be too anxious to wait for them to email me.

cdnyul Oct 7th, 2018 11:10 AM

When are going?

AA will be flying to Edinburgh (EDI) from PHL.

The service will be seasonal from 4/2/2019 to 10/26/2019.

twina49 Oct 7th, 2018 11:34 AM

The flight is May 24, returning June 2. Not sure why we aren't going to Edinburgh.

I called and the times will work, with a two hour layover at Heathrow, but the I have to contact British Air for the seating on their portion of the flight from London to Glasgow.

twina49 Oct 8th, 2018 07:26 AM

After a lengthy conversation with an AA agent named Jeff, who was courteous and a huge help, we are now booked on British Airways from Philadelphia to Glasgow, with a two-hour layover in Heathrow (terminal 3 for both flights), arriving in Glasgow at 10:15 a.m. Our return flights are BA from Glasgow to Heathrow, terminal 3 again, with a two-hour layover before flying American Airlines to Philadelphia. At least all of the flights are in the same terminal at Heathrow. We had to pay an additional fee to select new seats - "free" seats were available on the AA flight home, but the plane's configuration is 2-4-2, and there was no freakin' way I want to sit in the middle two seats of a four-seat row for a long flight. I'm a very unhappy camper if I can't have a window seat.... ;) The fee was $40 per seat to select the ones we wanted, but it was worth it, plus it includes priority seating.

I have two questions - #1: when we arrive in Heathrow, will we have to go through Customs again? #2 - we arrive in Glasgow at 10:15 a.m., and we're hoping to make it to Queen Street Station for the 12:30 p.m. train to Mallaig. I'm wondering how long we may be in Customs in Glasgow, and how much of a rush it might be to make the 12:30 train? The next train doesn't get into Mallaig until 11:30 p.m., and we're obviously hoping to avoid that situation!

SicilianSailor Oct 8th, 2018 12:46 PM

You won't have to deal with customs and immigration at all in Glasgow. You'll deal with that at the first point of entry (when you arrive at Heathrow). The Heathrow to Glasgow is just a domestic leg so once you land and grab your bags you are good to go.

thursdaysd Oct 8th, 2018 02:19 PM

You will clear immigration in Heathrow. You will clear customs in Glasgow, but that just means walking through the exit marked "Nothing to Declare ". There is a bus (500) that goes to Queen Street.

I would be more worried about the two hours in Heathrow, but at least you don't have to change terminals, if you are sure both flights use terminal 3.

twina49 Oct 8th, 2018 02:49 PM

My mistake - I meant to ask whether arriving at Heathrow on an international flight before boarding a domestic flight would involve security or Customs.

Both the flights on the trip in are on BA, which an airport map indicates Terminal 3.
​​​​​​
Thanks!

twina49 Oct 8th, 2018 03:10 PM

Sicilia Sailor - wouldn't the bags be transferred from one plane to the other, since both flights are with BA?

thursdaysd Oct 8th, 2018 03:57 PM

Go here and input your flights: https://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections

Your flight to London is almost certainly a code share with AA and would therefore use terminal 3, but most BA flights use terminal 5.

SicilianSailor is describing the situation when arriving in the US, not the UK.

Gardyloo Oct 9th, 2018 05:35 AM

The OP needs to check again. Both AA and BA fly from Philly to Heathrow; it looks like the OP is on BA 66 connecting to BA 1474. These flights are both codeshared by American, flying as AA 6129 and AA 6295 respectively, but they're on BA-operated planes, and will both use Terminal 5, not Terminal 3 at Heathrow. (Be thankful.) The AA agent was probably confused, par for the course.

On landing at Heathrow, you'll go through passport control and a security check, then will be released into the T5 shopping mall. Choose wisely. Your bags will be transferred to the Glasgow flight, which will depart from T5 too. On landing at GLA go to bag claim, then just walk through the "green" door - nothing to declare - and badda bing, welcome to Bonnie Scotland.

twina49 Oct 10th, 2018 11:40 AM

Thank you to everyone for the responses!

I sent a compliment to the AA customer service regarding Jeff, the agent, while also mentioning that I was not happy with the airline for not notifying me about the canceled route, and received a reply that they couldn't call everyone every time the "schedule" changed. I think this qualifies as more than a schedule change, and with other airlines I've been notified months in advance if the schedule changes by minutes.

Not only are we on different flights than we anticipated, we had to pay extra for seats we had essentially already reserved. The agent also said it's possible these flights could change, as well, something of which I was already aware....

Underhill Oct 14th, 2018 03:22 PM

Definitely more than a schedule change! When something similar happened to us we were offered the chance to change our reservation without a fee; in one case AA moved our flight up one day to accommodate the time of the connecting flight.

sassy27 Oct 14th, 2018 07:21 PM

I truly am sorry they did this to you. I hope your trip goes well and better than mine.

I say this because a few years ago I found a really good deal with US airways to fly PHL to EDI. US airways then got bought by American and changed my final destination to GLA. That wasn't what I booked so I called and they put me on a connecting to Heathrow flying on American going but British Airways coming back. It was all a nightmare. My brother was flying after me but my plane was 6 hrs delayed and I never met my brother in Heathrow. My plane before crossing the Atlantic had to turn around. Since we were so delayed our connecting flight tickets were no good and it was a mess connecting as we had no idea where to go. We couldn't miss our flight to EDI as my brother was there and he couldn't check into the flat without me. We barely made the connection.

It was bad coming back to PHL. We couldn't get our connecting tickets at EDI. My brother who flew before me missed the connection as they wouldn't give him his ticket. He ended up flying to Charlotte to get to PHL. Then he got delayed there for weather. He made it home 11 hrs after his expected time. My flight back my luggage never made the plane but my travel partners did as we got delayed flying into Heathrow. I got my luggage 3 days later which wasn't a big deal as I was home but they sent my smiley face emojis telling me about the delay and left my luggage on the sidewalk outside my house at 3 am. I have a covered porch with no door so go figure.

I'm looking to go back to Scotland this spring and their price for a connecting looks great but sorry, I can't risk having an experience like that again.

janisj Oct 14th, 2018 11:06 PM

>>I'm looking to go back to Scotland this spring and their price for a connecting looks great but sorry, I can't risk having an experience like that again.<<

You can have just as bad an experience on any airline. A one off 'nightmare' has no bearing on future flights. How will you feel if you pay more to fly with another carrier - and have your flight delayed or canceled? No transatlantic airline corners the market on good -- or bad.

twina: I'm so surprised there was no notice -- I find AA is almost annoying with all the notifications they send me. A 5 minute departure change triggers at least 2 e-mails.

twina49 Oct 15th, 2018 02:33 AM

Sassy - what a nightmare! I hope you've had better flights since then.

Janis - I agree about the notifications. The response I got was that they prefer waiting until close to the day of travel, as in when the seats we want would probably be taken....

I'm not quite sure why they aren't flying us into EDI, since that''s their new direct flight, instead of Heathrow. We'd still have to catch the train, but at least EDI is smaller than Heathrow and we'd already be in Scotland.

sassy27 Oct 15th, 2018 05:55 AM

So far, that is the only terrible experience I've had flying in over 20 yrs. I chalk it up to connecting in Heathrow and the airline. I will never connect there again nor fly with them if given a choice. I will only fly non stop to Edinburgh in the future and yes pay double the cost. I would have said yeah bad luck if it had been one way, one flight but it wasn't.

My advice to anyone who has to connect in Heathrow is to make sure you have your connecting ticket before getting there. I was told no ticket was a British Airways issue. Also allow time to connect as there are always delays. We received no compensation either not even a sorry. Only sad faces sent to me and told be lucky I got to my destinations. Hopefully someone can learn from my experience.

janisj Oct 15th, 2018 07:38 AM

Sassy: I have connected through LHR countless times -- sure it is a big airport with 4 (used to be 5) terminals but it really is not a horrible place to connect, but maybe that is because I know it very well and know my options.

twina: >>The response I got was that they prefer waiting until close to the day of travel,<<

Funny -- I'm flying on Dec 18 and got two e-mails and a phone call about a very minor schedule change . . . a month ago . . .

sassy27 Oct 15th, 2018 10:01 AM

I have never had any problems like I had at Heathrow when connecting with AA/British Airways. I truly hope what happened to me was a fluke but when it was with 4 flights on one trip, so I find it hard to believe. They refused to give us boarding passes for the connections at the check in airport and we as a party weren't flying the same day either. We had to get them in Heathrow after standing in a very long line to get to the other terminal and the agent doing it got annoyed. You couldn't get through without the pass. He was rude and didn't care if you had a tight connection which all could have been avoided if they just given the connecting boarding passes at check in. I knew this at EDI airport and insisted but I was told nothing they could do, it was a British Airways issue so this has nothing to do with not knowing the terminals or being misinformed.

I truly hope twina49 doesn't have the same experience and just posted mine so she can be prepared. AA also never informed me that they changed my destination from Edinburgh to Glasgow. I found out a month or two before traveling of the change. It really put a damper on my trip and their lack of customer service didn't help. I'm just glad I made it back and home on the day I was supposed to but as lessons learned goes, there are just some things I won't do again.

twina49 Oct 16th, 2018 04:54 AM

I got to thinking about the fact that American Airlines added a non-stop Philadelphia to Edinburgh seasonal flight (April-October 2019) to replace their non-stop PHL to Glasgow. Since the agent I spoke with last week said there was a possibility that AA could change our flights again before all was said and done, I had to wonder if that might be what they change us to.

I called American Airlines, and spoke to an agent, who thought London and Glasgow were about an hour apart, and Glasgow and Edinburgh were several hours apart (seriously, if you’re going to be an airline agent, perhaps you should know SOMETHING about geography). He said IF we wanted (“I don’t change nobody’s flight until they tell me”), we could change, at no charge, to a non-stop to Edinburgh, arriving at 9 a.m. That would actually work better, because my friend and I would have more time to get the train to Mallaig, AND we wouldn't have a two-hour layover at Heathrow.

I'll have to do some more research, but this might work.