Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page > AA American Airlines Cancels Christmas Eve flight

AA American Airlines Cancels Christmas Eve flight

Oct 22nd, 2018, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

AA American Airlines Cancels Christmas Eve flight

In late July I booked a "redeye" flight AA 1929 from PDX to CLT, connecting to FLL for 12/24. Departure at 10PM, arriving next day around 9:30AM. I just found out that there is no longer a flight 1929 on 12/24 and American Airlines has rescheduled me to depart on 12/25 on a 5AM flight that connects through Dallas and doesn't gets me to FLL until 4PM. I am not happy with the rebooked flight plan for several reasons. There are some other flights that should work, but I'd have to fly into Miami airport instead. Should AA allow me to rebook the flight to another itinerary since they cancelled my original flight? Any suggestions on how to handle it if the reservation agents do not cooperate?
Oct 22nd, 2018, 06:13 AM

Yes, AA will rebook your flights and you shouldn't incur a change fee because the airline cancelled your original itinerary and can't get you to your destination within a reasonable amount of time. Just call the airline and request a change. If they can't accommodate you they will offer you a refund.
Oct 22nd, 2018, 05:10 PM

When you call just be prepared that they might not just want to rebook you. They will but when it happened to me the agent told me I had to pay the change fee. Then tried to refund me so I had to speak with a supervisor. It might have been a fluke but they can rebook you for no added cost.
Oct 22nd, 2018, 05:39 PM

Check out my post about American Airlines cancelling the whole route I had already booked - non-stop from Philadelphia to Glasgow. We rebooked with a two-hour layover at Heathrow for original cost, BUT I had to pay extra to get a window seat, which is what I had on the original flight. PITA....
Oct 29th, 2018, 01:29 PM

Airlines just automatically reschedule you on whatever seems best to them, not sure of the algorithm. Delta did that to me once and I just had a different flight I preferred with some different times (or maybe it was moving to a different airport also, I am near 3 of them) so called them up to change it, and they did with no cost to me at all. I thought they were supposed to do that.

If the agents won't "cooperate"? I don't know, I guess ask for a super, don't know what else you can do. Of course you have to know that flight has available seats.
Nov 1st, 2018, 06:44 AM

<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placementame-cell;}-->Anyone who has flown on American any time in the last 5 years should know not to trust anything their management says.

Search this Thread