A better airport experience

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm currently doing an assignment that requires the group to create an idea\system to enhance the experience at the Brisbane international airport using technology. I'm trying to do some research on what travelers would like\think about airports in general, and would be pleased if anyone could answer some questions.

What technological features have you en-counted at an airport that have provided a better experience?

Have you thought of any ideas that would make waiting at an airport better (doesn't have to be restricted to Brisbane nor financially viable) ? If so what are they?

If you have been to the Brisbane airport, what is the airport lacking compared to other international airports?

Cheers
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 09:55 PM

Technology features? I'd be very pleased if airports can provide me with just these two:

1. Power plugs at seating areas at the gate - not some standing-room only "recharge station" away from the gates

2. Free wifi that has semi-decent speed
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 12:59 PM

With regards to Brisbane, the big things that make it a suboptimal international airport:

1) It is basically two airports, as the international and domestic terminals are so far apart.
2) The train between the two airports is not frequent enough.
3) The walk to the train is too long.

Honestly, it is as bad or worse than inter-terminal connections at JFK. Trust me when I say that no international airport should seek to emulate JFK in pretty much any way.

The other downer to Brisbane is one shared with a lot of non-US airports - the food options stink and are too few.

For technology, outlets and wifi are the best things you can add. And seats.
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 01:16 PM

The best technology advance has been on-line check-in and kiosks for airport and baggage check-in. I am old enough to remember endless lines to do this.

The best creature comfort I would like - "room" service for food/beverages at gate waiting areas. Hauling luggage to stand in line to get something to eat is annoying and difficult. Why can't they have some sort of wireless ordering system, pay with a credit card, and have food delivered to seat at gate area. I would be willing to pay 10-15% more for this service, even for the bad food at most airports. Packed for carryon to lane would be nice. Good food even better
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 03:13 AM

Limit the airport announcements. In Houston, they announce every 15 minutes, we would like to remind you that making inappropriate jokes with the TSA can lead to your arrest.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 04:42 AM

Like Gail said, the kiosks have been a great improvement. I'd like to see a lot more places to not only to charge equipment, but places to use it as well.

And, oh boy did Wally hit it! Limit, as in "really, really limit" announcements. At times, I've found myself muttering "Shut the hell up" to them.

In Chicago, there are endless announcements about not smoking. C'mon doesn't everyone know by now? Or at least notice that not a soul is smoking in case they were wondering?

There are announcements about "If you are unfamiliar with Chicago's O'Hara International Airport baggage claim, the monitors will indicate the city and flight arrivals." Gee, always wondered how that worked! I hear that six times before my bag arrives. How did I ever figure that out on my first flight as a 19 year old, long before this nonsense started?

There are announcements about covering my nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing and then washing my hands. No instructions yet on how to wipe my backside.

And drop the endless noise by the TVs in the gate area. If you want to have CNN on with closed captioning, fine, but turn off the volume! Things are loud and noisy enough!

I do like how United has two lines, Premier and general, to help control boarding. And the rolling information about the flight and destination on the (silent!) monitors in the gate is helpful.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 09:31 PM

1. Better -- and healthier -- food options.
2. More power outlets in the gate area so people with laptops can work.
3. This is probably more on the airlines than airport workers, but enforce the size limits of carry-ons at the gate. It's just ridiculous seeing people try to squeeze bags that are obviously too big into the overhead.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 08:36 AM

Along the lines of more power outlets - how about some desks here and there? We found some at SNA and it was wonderful.