Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

My son gets "flagged" every time we fly - Doesn't he have "rights"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently, his name is on some sort of list. Whenever he goes through security, they pull him aside and detain him un-necessarily. He's looked up how to get this cleared up, but apparently, there's not an easy way - it may just be impossible. It seems ridiculous that in our country, my son has to put up with this time after time - on every darn flight he goes on, because once, a long time ago, someone "suspect" had the same name. It's unfair to him. Can't they understand they've already cleared him numerous times already and once and for all take his name off that "list?" Anyone know any way to do it? He's a normal citizen of America. Doesn't he have "rights?"
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 06:37 PM

Nope. The "Patriot Act" took away rights that our ancestors died fighting for.
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 09:47 PM

http://www.dhs.gov/redress-control-numbers
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 10:01 PM

Contact your Congresscritter
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 01:49 AM

Good luck. Too bad he is having his freedom of movement compromised for nothing more than an unfortunate coincidence of name, or perhaps he once knew somebody who knew somebody...
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 05:18 AM

You said they "detain" him. Do they call police and secure him or just make him undergo secondary screening? If he flies weekly or frequently he might also want to consider enrolling in TSA's Secure Flight program and that might clear him also. This might not work if he is a minor.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 09:21 AM

it's not impossible but he will have to either apply for a redress number OR for one of the pre-clear options.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 05:05 PM

Just the continuing practice where we now need the permission of the federal government to travel. And you have to apply 24 hours in advance.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 10:24 PM

My husband was on some sort of list as well for years. It prevented him from checking in on-line and got him special attentioan at the airport. There is a procedure where you must send all sorts of documents, notarized, somewhere - with no guarantee they will remove you from whatever list you are on. He was told there is a TSA list, an FBI list and individual airlines that maintain their own list. When it is not 2 AM I will ask him where he had to send documents - which did eventually work as he can now fly with the same ease and comfort (which is not saying much) asthe rest of us.
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 07:55 AM

Ted Kennedy had this problem also! A couple other famous also have the problem and there is nothing they can do about it.
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 11:36 AM

I found myself on the same sort of 'list' - but the one that subjects one to special attention when returning to the US from parts foreign. Found myself in secondary inspection, subject to a careful luggage search, a lot of questioning, and the risk of missing my connecting flight, each and every time I returned from overseas. I contacted my US Senator's office, spoke to his omsbudsman, filled out a form, and had the matter investigated. Turns out that there was someone with a long criminal history and several outstanding warrants living in another state. Since the senator's office investigated the matter, I've had no problems at all. Must have been taken off that list.
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 11:39 AM

Whoops...I should have been more specific. That 'someone with a long criminal history and several outstanding warrants' shared the same name as me, as well has having a date of birth only a few days different than mine.
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 06:43 PM

The Thousands Standing Around live in a fantasy world where terrorists fly under KNOWN names. They honestly believe it would never occur to a terrorist to steal an ID.

Your tax $$$$ at waste.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Well, this is all very interesting. Gail, are you still around? Have you asked your husband where he sent those documents? I've since learned from my son that this occurs just when he uses his PASSPORT, in fact, we just flew to California together - he was not detained. That's because it wasn't an international flight, so it's his passport that triggers it. Will look into some of these 'solutions' - it'd be great to get rid of this pesky nuisance thing once and for all! Many thanks to all of you.
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 04:51 AM

<i>The Thousands Standing Around live in a fantasy world where terrorists fly under KNOWN names.</i>

The terrorist names aren't held on the list in case it gets leaked to them. So if you are on the list you can't be a terrorist.