Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

5.5 Hours at EWR = trip to NYC with 5-year old twins?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, we have a 5.5 hour layover at EWR on the Sunday after Thanksgiving (1:45 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.). We're traveling home with our 5-year old twins and are pretty sure we're going to be at each other's throats if we spend that much time in the airport. Is that enough time to get to Manhattan by cab and see some sights? or at least get out of the airport? Please be frank if you think it's insane to leave the airport on one of the most highly traveled days of the year...very much appreciate your candid advice!!
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 01:32 AM

If you mean your scheduled arrival time is 1:45, and your departing flight is scheduled for 7:30, then factor in, let's say half an hour to deplane, hit the bathroom and get a taxi. You want to be back at the airport with plenty of time to reclear security and get to your gate. Say 2 hrs. So now you're down to about 3 hrs. You've got no idea what traffic will be like in and out of the city. You can't be sure your first flight will land on time. And the last place you'll want to be is sitting in a taxi in traffic on the way back to EWR, watching the clock tick away. And if you DO miss that flight, how long is it going to take you to get 4 seats on another flight home? If you think about it that way, it might help you decide. For me, it's a no brainer.
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 04:43 AM

I would not do it for the exact reasons txgirlinbda listed.

Right outside the airport is Jersey Garden Outlets. Go shopping there. They even have a Lego shop. http://www.jerseygardens.com/
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 04:47 AM

This is a tough one as you are "on the cusp" of having enough time to actually do something if you decide to make the trip into the city.

Now, you never actually have the full 5.5 hours. As txgirlinbda says, the reality will be that you'll probably "lose" at least 30 minutes deplaning and getting to your transportation (I assume you'll be taking a taxi as that's probably the easiest way to get into the city). Figure another 45 minutes to get to midtown where you can get easy access to "the sights" (whatever they may be). Your connecting flight will begin boarding about 30 minutes prior to departure and you'll have to re-clear the TSA Checkpoint (which can be long at EWR especially on the Sunday after Thanksgiving) when you get back to the airport so that means you'll have to be back at the airport at least 1 hour before your scheduled take off. Add to that another 45 minutes drive time from NYC and you've "used up" about 3 hours of your 5.5 hour layover leaving you with just 2.5 hours to "see the sights". That doesn't even take into account that the earliest you'll be getting into the city will be around 3PM - that's about the time most visitors start thinking about making their way "back home" rather than just starting out.

Now I'm sure your twins are well behaved and wonderful children but ask yourself do you want to spend about 3 hours getting to/from NYC to spend 2 hours "seeing sights".? For me, this is one of those times when the inconvenience of traveling to/from NYC far outweighs any enjoyment you might get "seeing the sights".
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 07:13 AM

Maybe The Liberty Science Center instead of NYC? Great fun for kids. Or IKEA?

http://lsc.org/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/store/elizabeth
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for responding. I really appreciate your perspectives and sage travel advice!
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 09:10 PM

If it were not the Sunday after Thanksgiving I'd be tempted to try it, but that is a very heavy travel day. And even then I would do train, not cab. Cab into and back from the city will take 45 min to an hour each way, maybe more if the tunnel traffic is bad. You also will have to allow for long, slow security lines when you return to get your continuing flight.

Deb's suggestions sound good, and doable by cab. just be sure to allow plenty of time to get back through security.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 04:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably better and cheaper (and less stress!) to buy a pass for one of the lounges.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 04:57 AM

<i>Probably better and cheaper (and less stress!) to buy a pass for one of the lounges.</i>

Then the whole lounge can experience how cute and adorable her twin 5 year olds are.
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 08:40 AM

I think it's insane (your word) - traffic to/from/around every major airport on that day will also be insane. Not familiar with hotels at EWR - but what about a day room at a hotel with an inside pool if such a thing exists - or just a hotel room to chill in.