Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   $400 UA Customer Appreciation Cert (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/400-ua-customer-appreciation-cert-807425/)

yestravel Sep 23rd, 2009 11:07 AM

$400 UA Customer Appreciation Cert

I am in shock over this. UA had a schedule change on a flt over Thanksgiving. They changed equipment and it resulted in losing the seats we had previously selected. I went back and forth with the agent on the phone wanting them to move us so we would have our aisle and window seats in the same row restored. Of course they couldn't do it because that configuration was now not available (Schedule change was made yesterday). I asked to speak with a supervisor and was on put hold. The original agent came back on the phone and said it would still be a few minutes and then asked if I was still on email? He then emails me 2 $400 e-certs ! Nice gesture, huh? Thought I hsould pass along something nice the airlines did.

emd3 Sep 23rd, 2009 11:35 AM

I was on a UA flight in business class a few months ago and the in-flight video monitor in the seat next to mine did not work. The man sitting there complained to the flight attendant who said she had a complaint on the last flight about that but there had been no time yet to fix it. The passenger was clearly irritated. I offered to let him change seats w/me and watch my monitor. The flight attendant was really appreciative. A week later I noticed that I had 20,000 points in my UA FF account that I could not account for. I called and was told it was due to the inconvenience of that video problem - the flight attendant filed a request for me to get compensated.

yestravel Sep 23rd, 2009 12:14 PM

emd3, that's nice. We flew Biz class to BA and the video did not work in either my seat or my husband's. We pointed it out and they tried to fix it, but couldn't. We didn't complain at the time nor later. No one offered us anything! It wasn't really too much of an issue since it's an overnight flight, but still would have been nice to have for the time b4 & after sleeping.

DonTopaz Sep 23rd, 2009 01:37 PM

It is refreshing to hear this. As a company, much of what United has done in the past several years had shown utter contempt for its customers -- moving almost all of its call center operations offshore, blocking partners' award seats, reducing on-board and ground staffing levels so that everyone (customers and employees both) are fed up. It would be nice to think that this is a harbinger of change.

yestravel Sep 23rd, 2009 01:45 PM

The guy said they weere sorry I was inconvenienced and appreciated that I was "nice" or something like that and that was why he was sending them. That is similiar to what emd3 experienced. Maybe they are rewarding good behavior! Whatever the reason, a nice change.

mrwunrfl Sep 23rd, 2009 10:24 PM

I flew to Moscow in business class on April 2. It was the 5th day of the new United service IAD-DME.

At dinnertime, the FA brought out a meal tray and put in on my tray table - no tablecloth (IIRC). Then he came around with bread - and there was no dish to place the bread. The horror! So he put it on the paper lining of the tray.

Later he came around with a compensation card - go to a UA website and enter in the code. There were several things to choose from, one of which was 7000 or 9000 RDMs, some entries in a contest, something else, and a $200 certificate which is what I chose. They could toss the bread to me from the galley for half that.

I cashed it in a week or so ago. Apparently, once you apply it to an itinerary and purchase the ticket, the cert dies - even if you want to change the ticket.

I had bought a $260 ticket (LAX-BDL) and applied the $200. The next day, I search UA and see the price dropped (or so I thought) to $202. That is when I called and learned that I could refund the ticket I bought (less than 24 hours had elapsed) but would only get $60 back - the cert would be lost.

Turns out that was the first day that UA started showing the pre-tax ticket prices (instead of all-in) as the search results. After complaining to the phone operator (in Chicago) I went back online and clicked thru to accept the $202 fare and saw the ticket price - with tax - was the same $260.

Two $400 certs for change of equipment? That is astounding.

yestravel Sep 24th, 2009 04:43 AM

I'm still amazed a day later. I thought the agent sounded new cause he was very hesitant about my seats being switched due to the equipment changed and kept trying to figure out a way to accommodate me. Usually when I have had this happen they just say flat out, sorry. He did give wrong info on the use of hte cert -- said had to buy tix within a year and then had 331 to fly. When I read the terms and conditions, u must use the cert and fly within one year of the date of issuance and it appears at a quick try to use it to be only for domestic. But I'm not complaining!

Dayenu Sep 24th, 2009 08:30 AM

I cannot believe all I am reading! What a pleasant surprise :)

yestravel Sep 24th, 2009 10:35 AM

perhaps this should be filed under "Miracles will never cease..."