Just a heads up:
Aeris, the small french airline (formerly a charter-only operator) which just a few months ago picked up many of defunct Air Lib's slots at Orly (domestic routes to Nice, Toulon, Toulouse etc.) filed for bankruptcy protection today. They are still operating for now but I would NOT book them for travel more than a few days out.
In addition, Air Littoral, based in Nice filed for bankruptcy a week or 2 ago. Same recommendations for them as well...
It seems that while the french goverment succeeded (for now at least) in creating a viable Air France, they basically prevented the emergence of a viable domestic competitor - not a good idea in the longer run!
Who stands to win? Well, if Aeris goes under, chances are EasyJet will get its wish for more slots at Orly and maybe Virgin Express, which pulled out of the bidding for routes from Orly after it was hardly awarded any Air Lib slots by the goverment regulator, will make a move. Time will tell...
Regarding Air Littoral, again, EasyJet, which already has significant operations at Nice, could partly fill the gap. However, some of the peripheral routes (Nice to Naples for example) as well as the secondary hub in Montpellier would most likely disappear.
Hope this helps,
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 HP printer 1800: 681: 7208 installation CONTACT HP Tec*h by 24/7
- 2 Very bad experience in AMS
- 3 Layover time in Los Angeles
- 4 LH bid for Premium Economy
- 5 IBERIA BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE
- 6 Virgin Atlantic's "Virgin Redhead"!
- 7 JFK international terminal to domestic terminal - how much time?
- 8 $1500 to Europe economy in May- buy now or wait?
- 9 Changing Airlines at EWR
- 10 A horror story about Justfly
- 11 WOW bargain not so "wow"
- 12 AerLingus exit row
- 13 Global Entry application status question
- 14 CDG
- 15 Which option
- 16 First travel
- 17 Changing AA flight date
- 18 Advice - Want to sue Lufthansa
- 19 Scott's Cheap Flights
- 20 Connecting flight in heathrow--2 hours
- 21 United Mileage plus upgrade waitlist?
- 22 Narita or Haneda from LAX?
- 23 Round trip ticket - but skipping return flight
- 24 Flying to Montego Bay, need help with connecting flights?
- 25 Traveling with two passports, with different names.
2 french airlines - AERIS & AIR LITTORAL file for BANKRUPTCY