Just a heads up:
Aeris, the small french airline (formerly a charter-only operator) which just a few months ago picked up many of defunct Air Lib's slots at Orly (domestic routes to Nice, Toulon, Toulouse etc.) filed for bankruptcy protection today. They are still operating for now but I would NOT book them for travel more than a few days out.
In addition, Air Littoral, based in Nice filed for bankruptcy a week or 2 ago. Same recommendations for them as well...
It seems that while the french goverment succeeded (for now at least) in creating a viable Air France, they basically prevented the emergence of a viable domestic competitor - not a good idea in the longer run!
Who stands to win? Well, if Aeris goes under, chances are EasyJet will get its wish for more slots at Orly and maybe Virgin Express, which pulled out of the bidding for routes from Orly after it was hardly awarded any Air Lib slots by the goverment regulator, will make a move. Time will tell...
Regarding Air Littoral, again, EasyJet, which already has significant operations at Nice, could partly fill the gap. However, some of the peripheral routes (Nice to Naples for example) as well as the secondary hub in Montpellier would most likely disappear.
Hope this helps,
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Changing Airlines at EWR
- 2 $1500 to Europe economy in May- buy now or wait?
- 3 JFK international terminal to domestic terminal - how much time?
- 4 A horror story about Justfly
- 5 WOW bargain not so "wow"
- 6 Virgin Atlantic's "Virgin Redhead"!
- 7 Layover time in Los Angeles
- 8 AerLingus exit row
- 9 Global Entry application status question
- 10 CDG
- 11 Which option
- 12 First travel
- 13 Changing AA flight date
- 14 Advice - Want to sue Lufthansa
- 15 Scott's Cheap Flights
- 16 Connecting flight in heathrow--2 hours
- 17 United Mileage plus upgrade waitlist?
- 18 Narita or Haneda from LAX?
- 19 LH bid for Premium Economy
- 20 Round trip ticket - but skipping return flight
- 21 Flying to Montego Bay, need help with connecting flights?
- 22 Traveling with two passports, with different names.
- 23 Royal Air Moroc Reviews
- 24 United or Air France? (Business class)
- 25 Customs question
2 french airlines - AERIS & AIR LITTORAL file for BANKRUPTCY