Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   2 different answers for change/cancellation fee! Who is right? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/2-different-answers-for-change-cancellation-fee-who-is-right-589892/)

katybird Feb 10th, 2006 07:08 AM

2 different answers for change/cancellation fee! Who is right?

My husband and I have tickets on AA.
I called AA to verify cancellation or change fee 2 days ago I was told $50 change/cancellation and it is a class Q ticket with travel allowed on Sat. Tues and Wed.
This morning I called to make a change and was told the fee is $100 for cancellation or change.
How can I be sure I have the correct information?

gail Feb 10th, 2006 07:36 AM

Are you sure one was not quoting change fee for one-way and the other for round-trip?

A_Traveller Feb 10th, 2006 08:23 AM

Sounds like the $50 quote was per person and the $100 quote was for both tickets. The only way to be sure is to check again with the airline as they will be the ones who actually charge you.

BeachBoi Feb 10th, 2006 08:43 AM

Katybird.....AA has different change fees for different routes...If I have a ticket to Chicago that I need to change, the fee is $100...If I need to change a ticket to Miami, it is $50....

otto Feb 10th, 2006 10:45 AM

sometimes the penalties are before departure vs. after departure. perhaps that would explain it?

katybird Feb 10th, 2006 02:13 PM

OK..I called AA again [third time] and have yet another little twist!
This agent tells me it is a $50 cancellation fee for each ticket.
If I want to make any changes to the return date [We were thinking of returning earlier] it is $50 fee per ticket BUT changes have to be made 21 days in advance.Our tickets are SYR to DFW 2/22-3/4 so I would have to make the change today.
We needed to extend our stay when we flew NWA last year and called the day before we were supposed to fly home and were able to extend for $100 PP. I thought it would be the same for AA but guess not.
There are so many rules for so many types of tickets. I'll never figure it out!
Thanks for all your input!

katybird Feb 10th, 2006 02:17 PM

Oh..this agent said there was no restrictions on the days we flew if we changed it 21 ddays in advance unlike the first agent I spoke to.
EAch agent has looked up my reservation. I just can't understand why I have so much conflicting information.

gail Feb 10th, 2006 04:27 PM

Because customer service is dead - I don't think it matters which airline, since there have been enough gripes here about idiotic or confusing information from telephone personnel.

jlillberto Feb 11th, 2006 05:22 AM

I can answer this. I worked in res for UA until just after 9/11. There are so many fares with so many rules that can be interupted so many ways that it's next to impossible to figure out changes. Also, since these employees are protected by their unions, it's next to impossible to get rid of imcompetent and uncaring employees. Often I would get calls where customers were just told what they wanted to hear from another agent avoid a hassle.

Popolo Feb 11th, 2006 07:28 AM

I guess the conclusion is to keep calling until you get to an agent that will change the ticket for free... ;-)

jlillberto Feb 11th, 2006 01:33 PM

Yep

katybird Feb 11th, 2006 02:43 PM

So far, we are planning to travel as originally planned. I'm sure I will find out if I do need to cancel or make a change! I'm considering it a guessing game and am not counting on ANY of the information I received! Hopefully, I won't need to find out!