Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   1:35 connection time at CDG ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/1-35-connection-time-at-cdg-420757/)

teatravel Aug 27th, 2008 07:31 PM

1:35 connection time at CDG ?

SFO/CDG/IST
Travel in early October with Air France:

Dep SFO 15:30 pm
Arr CDG 11:00 am next day
Dep CDG 12:35 pm
Arr IST 16:45 pm

With only 1 hour & 35 minutes at CDG, what's my chance making this connection?

Anyone took this route before and making it?

Andrew Aug 27th, 2008 07:51 PM

Are there later CDG-IST flights after the 12:35? If so, then you at least have a good shoot at making the next one if you miss your actual connection. That would make me feel a bit less anxious, anyway.

teatravel Aug 27th, 2008 09:23 PM

Yes, there is another flight at 19:05 which arrives in Istanbul at 23:25. I really like to arrive in a foreign city during daylight.

The problem is that my 2 tickets are Delta award tickets, I am sure they will charge me extra to change the schedule. I just hope if we don't make the earlier flight at least they will put us in the evening flight and pray that this evening flight will not be canceled or full.

Andrew Aug 27th, 2008 09:45 PM

I agree, best to get there at 16:45 rather than 23:25. But it sounds like you'd get there that day, at least, and the later flight gives you at least some comfort. And no, you're not going to get charged to take the next flight to IST if you miss your connection, assuming it's all booked on a single Delta ticket and missing the connection isn't your fault (i.e. you don't fall asleep at the gate in CDG).

What other choices do you have? Is there an earlier flight from SFO to CDG or a different connecting route? I assume if you had a better choice to get from SFO to IST you'd take it. If the SFO-CDG/CDG-IST connection is your best option out of those you'd found and you're mostly worried about the short connection time, I'd go for it. There's always a chance you'll miss your connection due to weather, etc.

teatravel Aug 27th, 2008 09:52 PM

I have flown AF several times in the past and they were very much on time. There is an earlier flight leaving SFO, but unfortunately it is the Skychoice ticket. I obtained these tickets with Skysaver, the choice is very limited. Since there is the evening flight at least I just wander around the airport or take a nap for a few more hours! Not enough time to get a Paris Visite card and see Paris in such a short time. I travel to Europe in the month of October and find the planes are mostly about 2/3 full, and I normally would get a whole row of seats! I am not sure this will be the case since the fuel is sky rocketing and airlines are cutting flights.

I would not do this if I fly into Heathrow. Even you are only in transit you still have to go thru the security line that takes about 2:30 hours or more especailly when one has to change terminal.

travelgourmet Aug 28th, 2008 05:40 AM

This is a normal connection time for AF to AF flights at CDG. You may feel rushed, and the walks can be long, but I would think you can safely book the connection. AF puts a lot of effort into helping out passengers with short connections.

Patty Aug 30th, 2008 03:56 PM

That's a relatively easy transfer as you'll arrive and depart 2E and only need to clear security. There are two parts to 2E so check your departure gate on arrival. Here's an interactive map that shows the gate numbers http://correspondances-aeroports.air....fr/_index.php

P_M Aug 30th, 2008 04:05 PM

I have a similar connection with 1:15 hours at CDG. I know there are later flights and I will be rescheduled in the event of a delay, but do you think my luggage and I will make this one? This is also AF to IST. Thanks.

P_M Aug 30th, 2008 04:19 PM

I just looked at my schedule again and I only have 1 hour on my return thru CDG. Geez....

Patty Aug 30th, 2008 04:55 PM

I've made 1 hour connections at CDG that required changing halls and clearing both passport control and security, but it's always iffy and your luggage has a good chance of being delayed even if you make it.

Paulchili Aug 30th, 2008 05:34 PM

Teatravel,
Are you catching a cruise in Istanbul? I sure hope not! If so, you may make it but your luggage may not (unless you are arriving a day early) - it's the pits to cruise without your luggage.

P_M Aug 30th, 2008 06:01 PM

Thanks Patty. I've had delayed luggage 7 times in my travels so I never expect it to be there anyway. If it does show up on the baggage carousel, I consider it a bonus. :-)

teatravel Aug 30th, 2008 09:15 PM

Thanks for all the responses. We are not catching any cruise. We booked this trip on a single ticket. We try to pack light and have no intention to check in any bags this time. That remains to be seen if it is doable.

Terminal 2E at CDG is very easy to navigate. If one doesn't leave the terminal, the security line is fast or non exist between gates.