I recently came across the Fodors boards and have found them to be a wonderful resource. I am planning a honeymoon to Southern Africa for either June/July 2008 or 2009 (depending on deployment schedules). I have been to Africa 3 times before as a student but have never had a true tourist or wildlife viewing experience.
Our budget is 8000-11000 USD total excluding international airfare. Right now I am thinking about spending b/w 14-19 nights in country however my emphasis is on the quality of the experience vs quantity.
Our emphasis is on a true wilderness experience while still maintaining a romantic setting. After all it is our honeymoon. Outrageous luxury is not a priority. A list of what we find important in descending order is:
1) classic wilderness experience
2) great wildlife viewing
3) interesting activities
4) good food
5) romantic and nice lodging but not necessarily luxury
I have researched quite a few options in Southern Africa and have created several 4-5 day blocks that I am hoping to piece together to form the trip. Some may not be feasible within our budget or appropriate for a honeymoon. Hopefully yall can help me create an unforgettable experience within my budget constraints.
1) Greater Kruger area. 3-4 nights Timbavati at either Akeru, Gomo Gomo, or on the Ngala walking safari combined with 3-4 nights Sabi Sands at either Inyati, Ele. Plains, Exeter Leadwood or similar
2) 5-7 nights Cape and winelands. Split time b/w Cape Town and its environs and a few nights in Franschhoek.
3) 10-15 nights in Zambia. Combination S. Luangwa/ Lower Zambezi/ and vic falls. Lodging options include Kafunta, Luangwa River Lodge, Chongwe River Lodge, Chiawa Camp. May not be feasible due to budget.
4) 3-4 nights at San Camp. This seems out of the way given the rest of the options listed however my fiance is in love w/ meerkats and I have anthropology background so it seems like it could be an ideal final stop.
5) 3-4 nights Namibia at Sossusvlei Mountain Lodge. Again perhaps out of the way but romantic.
6) 4-7 nights on S. African coast at Rocktail Bay Lodge or Thonga Beach Lodge.
I am also open to any other ideas I may not have thought of. Again I do not plan on doing all of these at the same time but want to combine a few to create an unforgettable holiday.
Thanks for any help you can provide!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 East Africa (Tanzania) or South (Botswana) Middle June 2018
- 2 AOL 1800:570:1233 Password Reset CONTACT AOL Tec*h by 24/7??
- 3 Israel - West Bank, banksy, Jordan (Petra), or other 1 day tour advice
- 4 Can one free lance In Victoria Falls?
- 5 Anyone been to Mashatu Game Reserve?
- 6 Dubai Dubai Airport Traffic to get to a hotel on time
- 7 South Africa in March
- 8 Flying from Seattle to Morocco
- 9 Safari Camera Lens - Follow Up Thread
- 10 Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe and Zambia) - Travel Report
- 11 Looking walking tour in Dar Es Salaam
- 12 11 days...Jordan and Israel ...help with itinerary
- 13 Is January a good time to visit Tanzania
- 14 Mara Safari in June - Camera Lens Recommendation
- 15 Any recent experiences with Ethiopian Air Coach
- 16 Israel Trip - Very Early Planning Stage
- 17 Three Days In Tel Aviv
- 18 help me to visit Morocco
- 19 9 days itinerary help and some other questions
- 20 Question about tours from Cape Town
- 21 Yes, we went to Sudan and we LOVED it! A Trip Report
- 22 Travelling to Nigeria for the first time
- 23 Morocco road condition
- 24 Africa – after 10 years of waiting – an amazing and wondrous journey.
- 25 Fraudulent Safari Operator