Africa & the Middle East Forums

Post New Topic

Recent Activity

  • Announcement:
  • Come explore the new Fodor’s Forum
    by ibobi Fodor's Editor | Posted on Dec 4, 17 at 08:03 PM
View all Africa & the Middle East activity »
  1. 1 Trip Report AOL @ PASSWORD Reset CONTACT 1:888:482:3831 AOL Tec*h Supp0rt Care 24/7
  2. 2 AOL ☎Email Password Reset Contact ☎1:800:681:7208 AOL Tec*h care By बाबा☎!
  3. 3 Advice on private tour Morocco
  4. 4 Safety in Johannesburg
  5. 5 Leishmaniasis Common? - Marrakech?
  6. 6 Safari is set!
  7. 7 Car Rental in Morocco
  8. 8 Frights to Iran from Bishkek or Tashkent
  9. 9 9 days itinerary help and some other questions
  10. 10 Tanzania and Kenya Trip 2018 - advise needed
  11. 11 Morocco 10 day Itinerary
  12. 12 South Africa: WESTERN CAPE in spring: Need HELP getting addicted!
  13. 13 Qatar to Iran
  14. 14 Sharm el Sheikh - Anyone been recently
  15. 15 Lebanon Spring 2018
  16. 16 Sept in Dubai. what to wear
  17. 17 Ethiopian Tour operators
  18. 18 visiting Ethiopia as a single female on a low budget
  19. 19 Tanzanian Tour Operators
  20. 20 electric devices
  21. 21 Flying from Florida to Dubai
  22. 22 Victoria Falls
  23. 23 Morocco--rent motorcycle without license
  24. 24 sahara desert
  25. 25 Erta Ale ETHIOPIA - any updates?
View next 25 » Back to the top

Sleeping with Shrews - Nairobi, Tanzania Safari, & Zanzibar, June 2007

Jump to last reply

First, let me say that the shrews to whom I refer are NOT the nine other women with whom I traveled! You’ll just have to wait until the Serengeti segment to find out about that. I haven’t even looked at my photos, yet, so be patient and I’ll get them posted eventually. I'll be posting in segments.

This safari had its origins in a trip I put together for an Oregon bank club in February 2005. Several people said they would love to go on safari in Tanzania, but couldn’t go on that trip. I started working on a 2006 trip, but that didn’t come together, so I planned one for June 2007. I know that many of you don’t like group travel, but I enjoy it in East Africa. It’s fun watching “newbies” experience Africa for the first time. We ended up with ten women for the safari. A couple of weeks before departure, one woman had an emergency appendectomy and couldn’t go. Strangely enough, I had just received an e-mail from another lady, asking if I still had space. With only 6 days until departure, she signed up and filled the open slot.

This was my eighth trip to Africa and my sister Linda’s second. I started working 330 days before our planned return to get frequent flier tickets and got two…business class for my sister and economy for myself (she’s taller.) We left a week earlier than the other safari-goers and stopped over in Switzerland for three days, given that we were using Swiss Air for several segments. The Berner Oberland area was quite beautiful and a nice place to get over our jetlag. No one seemed to mind that we were wearing our safari clothes.

  • Report Abuse

    From there, we traveled onward to Nairobi for another three days. At the time I booked the tickets, Swiss didn’t fly to NBO every day, thus necessitating the extra days in Nairobi. I had contacted Kennedy Muthoka for some of our Nairobi arrangements, given his high recommendations here on the Board, and wasn’t disappointed.

    Regarding the issue of a second entry into Kenya after going to Tanzania: You only need a single entry Kenya visa for US$50. The period of time that you should list being in Kenya should include the Tanzania portion. For us, that was about three weeks, total. I explained the situation and asked for a visitor’s pass. I’m not sure if we got a special stamp, or not, but we had no trouble coming back in to Kenya for a few hours on our way home.

    Our last minute traveler Ann W joined us in Nairobi, which were the original plans of the woman who had to cancel. We were actually able to get her a ticket from LAX to NBO and return for about $2700, six days before departure! We stayed at the Fairview Hotel. The rooms aren’t fancy, but the grounds are beautiful and quiet and the food was excellent. They have several restaurants from which to choose. Security in the area is especially tight, as the Israeli Embassy is right across the street.

    On Saturday, June 16, we met Kennedy, having been picked up by one of his other men the night before. I wanted to have an easy day, so we went to Amani ya Juu, a women’s self-help group that makes sewn goods. They really have some nice things for sale and also have a small café on the grounds. We had Mexi-Kenyan: tacos and quesadillas, Kenyan style. Afterwards, Ann needed to pick up a few things, so we went to the Sarit Center Mall. Dinner was at the hotel.

    Sunday was our big “tour day” with Kennedy. We hit the usual spots: the Giraffe Centre, Karen Blixen Museum, Utamaduni (had lunch there at the Veranda Restaurant), Kazuri Bead Factory, the Carnivore Restaurant, and the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage. I had asked Kennedy about taking blankets or other gifts to the keepers. He asked if I wanted to know what they REALLY needed. My answer was “Yes,” and he said MONEY. That way, they could get whatever they needed. We got the keepers together and gave the head keeper some funds to distribute among all of them. We got to visit Chyulu and Makena, our baby eles. A visit with Kennedy wouldn’t be complete without the famous “cheetah hug.” The female cheetah was quite relaxed and seemed to enjoy being stroked. I sat next to her and she put her head on my leg and purred. For cat lovers like my sister and I, it was a special experience.

    On Monday we visited with Special Ministries, a mission group with Hope Centers spread throughout Kenya. I had visited with them a couple of years ago, and now sponsor 5 children and one of their social workers. They picked us up and took us to their offices, where we gave them some office and school supplies that we had brought for them. One of their centers is in Kibera, so they took us over there. Kibera is one of the largest slums in Africa, home to about a million people and very little infrastructure. We walked the narrow streets to a primary school and I got to meet one of the boys that I sponsor. We gave each child in his class a gift (handmade bookmarks and pencils/pens.) We then visited SM’s feeding center where the children get a nutritious lunch. It was quite a contrast to the “tourist” Nairobi from the day before. We then flew out of NBO to Kilimanjaro Airport in Tanzania to meet the other seven women going on safari with us.

  • Report Abuse

    Our safari outfitters were Kibo Guides. I can’t say enough good things about this company. This is the third trip I’ve done with them and they just keep getting better. Josiah is the contact with whom I planned the safari and he took good care of us. We had two Land Cruisers, one which seated five and a longer version that seated seven. That way, we could split up 4 – 6, instead of 5-5, which would split up a set of friends. Our guides were Peter Njau and Godliving Limo. They were some of the best guides I’ve ever had in Africa; as lead guide, Peter was especially adept.

    Our seven other ladies arrived on the June 18 evening KLM flight a couple of hours after we came in from NBO. We waited for them over at the bar at KIA Lodge. Everyone got their visas right at the airport and had no problems. Two pieces of luggage didn’t arrive, so that required some paperwork. We stayed at Moivaro Lodge and had a late supper there. That’s not an easy place to find one’s room in the dark! I made at least one circle before I found the right path.

    The next day after our safari briefing, we traveled to Arusha National Park for an all-day excursion. I really enjoy this park, although most safari itineraries skip it. The forested terrain is unique, as are the black and white colobus monkeys seen there. There are lots of giraffe in the park and that’s what we saw first. The ladies went crazy taking photos. We had lunch at a hilltop picnic site overlooking the lakes. To the west, the clouds disappeared off Mt. Meru’s flanks. Kilimanjaro was a bit more coy, but finally showed herself. We picked up a ranger and took a stroll back to a waterfall in the park. Near the end of our day, we came upon a herd of about 20 – 25 giraffe, some of whom were sitting down. That was a quite a sight!

    Two of the women brought along a stuffed dog that looked like Myles, their real dog back home. They took lots of photos and videos of “Myles on Safari”. It was hilarious! Even the ranger got into the act, holding Myles at bay with his gun. It was obvious this was going to be a fun group.

    The next day, before we left Arusha, we did some shopping at the Cultural Heritage Center. One of our ladies didn’t get her luggage, so we went to Shop-Rite and Woolworth’s. Several of us shared extra shirts with her, as well.

  • Report Abuse

    Hi ShayTay:
    Glad to hear there were no shrews among your party of 10. Picturing you and your sister in Switzerland in safari clothes. I appreciated your description of the Kibera visit.

    And now it is off on safari with Myles.

  • Report Abuse

    Great report especially the visit to Kibera; we were in Nairobi three years ago and drove past Kibera just as work was getting over and swarms of people were walking back to their 'homes'... real eye opener. I have not been to Zanzibar and can't wait to read your your report--my husband's family migrated from Goa in India to Zanzibar way back in the 1800's when these were all Portugese colonies. Our son leaves for Nairobi next week for a 3 week medical research program from UC Berkeley and hopes to visit Kibera--he plans to to trace his roots to Zanzibar after the program...

    Keep posting....


  • Report Abuse

    Thanks, all. Kibera was fascinating and the people were friendly, but we were accompanied by a couple of men who worked for Special Ministries and knew the "lay of the land."

    We stayed at Tanganyika Wilderness Camps’ newest permanent tented camp, Lake Burunge Tented Camp. It’s on the west side of the lake, overlooking it and, further east, Tarangire National Park. There is a gate into the park about 4 kms away, but the Park Service had it closed. TWC is trying to get it open so that they don’t have to go all the way back to the main entrance, an hour’s drive away. If they can get this gate open, this will be a great place to stay. Otherwise, you’ll have to do an all-day excursion into the park, which is what we did. The camp has large, permanent tents on platforms with thatched roofs overhead. They have fully plumbed bathrooms with solar-heated hot water available at all times. A large, thatched lounge and dining area is at the central part of the camp. There is a fire pit on a large deck jutting out from this building.

    The afternoon we arrived, we went out on a walk with two Maasai. They explained about the plants, spoor, and dung that we found along the way. The men answered our questions about their culture, as well. The lake was over its banks, so we didn’t go all the way to the water’s edge.

    We started early the next morning, as we had to make that hour-long drive to Tarangire’s entrance. Surprisingly, we didn’t see many elephants at first, just a lone bull or two. We had a nice picnic breakfast at a picnic site overlooking the river. We managed to keep our bananas out of the hands of the vervet monkeys. After breakfast, we began to see the elephant breeding herds. We came upon a pair on honeymooning lions, the first time in three visits I’ve seen lions in Tarangire. After they mated, Godliving said to wait 15 minutes for the next round. He counted down, 3-2-1 and the lioness rose on cue and started snuggling.

    We had lunch overlooking the huge, green swamp. On the way back to the entrance, we watched a giraffe drinking, throwing its head back for those last couple of swallows. Next to the road, we encountered a herd of elephants. A lone bull approached and entwined trunks in greeting with one of the females.

    In the evening before dinner, we were privileged to have an elder of the local Wabugwe tribe sit down with us and share the story of how their tribe made their way to this area from Sudan. He also shared their marriage customs and death rituals.

  • Report Abuse


    Peter had gotten permission for us to visit a Maasai village near Tarangire River Camp that had never had visitors before. The head wife was in charge of the visit and her brother-in-law supervised, as her husband was gone for the day. The wives and some of their neighbors greeted us with traditional songs and dances. The men showed us how they bled the cattle to get the blood, mixed with milk, to drink. They offered it to us and one of our group actually tried it…brave soul! We then helped thatch the roof and plaster the walls of a hut they were constructing. We also got to try our hand husking the corn with the large “mortar and pestle” they use for this purpose.

    Finally, we all trooped into the first wife’s home for a tour and a Q & A session. Here was a group of ten American women and a dozen Maasai women given the chance to ask anything we wanted of each other… and we did! They wanted to know if we were married and had children (most of us weren’t and didn’t.) One lady showed them a photo of her dogs, her “children.” They expressed sympathy for one of us who was a widow and ululated for those taking care of elderly parents. It was obvious that family relationships were at the heart of everything for the Maasai. How do you explain “career woman” to them? The head wife’s parting advice to us was that it was better to have children than dogs, because the child could give you advice when you got old.

    We bought some of their beaded goods and exchanged goodbyes with our new friends. The visit lasted about two hours. We then headed for the Ngorongoro Farmhouse and a late lunch.

  • Report Abuse


    When I took a bank club to Tanzania in 2005, we helped plant trees at the site of where the Rift Valley Children’s Village planned to construct a new orphanage. It’s about 30 minutes off the main road from Karatu to the Crater, near the village of Oldeani. Our group visited Village and got to see how big those seedlings had become. Instead of an empty field, there is now a complex of buildings that comprise the RVCV, headed by an American named India Howell. I got a chance to meet the young boy I’m sponsoring there, Mole. They not only care for children at the Village, but also help the local villagers and primary school. They also give food to families raising orphaned children who are relatives. India is trying to ensure that the kids are raised “Tanzanian style” and will grow up to become productive citizens of Tanzania. They have several children away at secondary school and even have one girl in law school. Our travelers were greatly impressed with what they learned and enjoyed visiting with the children.

    The Farmhouse has really grown and now has 51 rooms. They have added a new, larger gift shop, reception area, and internet spot since my last visit. The rooms are huge and well appointed. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and you can see the crops they grow all around the property. Our rooms looked out over a spacious lawn towards Ngorongoro Crater. Given all the clouds on top of the Crater, I was glad we were down at the Farmhouse.

  • Report Abuse

    Okay, QueenofdaNile, here it is...


    We got an EARLY start (5 am) Saturday morning to get to the Hadzabe before they went out hunting. I had expected to visit with the Hadzabe, but, as it turned out, we were actually going out HUNTING with them! Because it was going to be somewhat strenuous, only six of us went. We had some coffee and rolls, and took boxed breakfasts for later. We traveled down a VERY rough road, stopping at a village to pick up a local guide who knew where the Hadzabe were located and who spoke their language and Swahili. Our guides then translated into English.

    We finally arrived at their small encampment about 7 am. They were huddled around two fires, one for the men and another for the women and children. They had constructed a few shelters out of branches, but I don’t think they slept in them. After visiting for a few minutes, three of the men and their dogs took off with us following along. I’m sure we must have sounded like a herd of buffalo, tramping along. When they began to stalk anything, we froze and let them go at it. They were hunting for smaller prey and shot at a few birds. We crossed a river on rocks and hiked down a dry, sandy creek bed. One of the men shot a spurfowl and brought it up to us. It was still alive and he killed it by biting its neck. Later on, they shot a mongoose and chased it around inside this large, thorny bush. It wasn’t dead, either, when they brought it out and they dispatched it with a couple of whacks to the head. According to our guides, we must have hiked 6 or 8 miles. Whew!

    Breakfast time! While the Hadzabe were having spurfowl and/or mongoose for breakfast, we had our boxed goodies. Godliving played his favorite music tape – Dolly Parton. There is something quite surreal about listening to “Joleen” while in the company of Bushmen. They showed us items they had made, so we shopped (of course!) They wanted to sell us some bows and arrows, and it was difficult explaining why we couldn’t take them on those big birds in the sky. We shared the fruit from our boxes with them, which they enjoyed. They were also smoking marijuana, which surprised me. Apparently, they buy the stuff, so I guess the money from our purchases won’t go for food.

    On the way back, we stopped at a Datoga village and watched a blacksmith at work. We also visited one of their homes and chatted with the husband, his wives, and their children. Again, it was an interesting interplay between two cultures. I find the cultures of East Africa as interesting as the wildlife, which is why I include so many cultural experiences. You may go to Africa for the wildlife, but you’ll remember the people!

  • Report Abuse

    Perfect Sharon! Gives us a good idea what to expect. We are staying at Kisima Ngeda so we can go to bed early to prepare for the early morning hunt. But is 3 months, 12 days enough time to train for keeping up with the hunting party....;) ?

  • Report Abuse

    You probably have created 10 additional Africa Addicts.

    Excellent start to your report. I didn't know giraffes were so prevalent in Arusha NP.

    Did that missing luggage ever show up? An overnight in Arusha increased the odds of it showing up.

    Your cultural experiences were outstanding--The Wabugwe trip and the visit to the Maasai village where you got to participate in daily chores and girl talk.

    It must have been rewarding to see the grown trees you had planted on a previous trip. And meeting Mole would be a very special experience.

    So how many nights did you spend in the area of the Hadzabe? Your account of the 5 am wakeup, rough road, the 7 am hunting party departure, and breakfast after 6-8 miles of hiking gives us a good picture of what that visit is like. The pot and Dolly Parton is not what I would have expected so I am glad you included it. What did the women who did not go hunting do while you were gone?

    You had a fascinating first few days. Looking forward to the rest.

  • Report Abuse

    QueenofDaNile, we weren't expecting to go out on a hunt, so none of us were prepared for such a long hike. Still, we made it through, one step at a time. You sometimes get a chance to catch your breath when they stalk. Walking through the sand was the hardest. The guys were patient with us, though.

    Lynn, we stayed at the Farmhouse and were back there in time for a late lunch (about 3 pm.) If you are asking about our four women who didn't go on the Hadzabe trip, they stayed at the Farmhouse and relaxed, got a massage, and enjoyed the pool. That sounded really good about 5 miles into the hike! They could have gone and stayed with the Hadzabe women, but didn't want to just sit there and stare at each other. The Hadzabe women sometimes go out on foraging trips, so they might have done in that.

    One of the missing bags came the next day. It had actually arrived at JRO, but had fallen off the carousel in the back and no one noticed. The other bag took 5 days to arrive, but was delivered to the Farmhouse by Kibo. That person had flown Delta to JFK, then onward with KLM. We don't know where the problem occurred.

    Yes, Arusha NP has LOTS of giraffe. We always see bunches of them, sometimes on the walk to the waterfall. I would encourage more people to visit this beautiful park. It's also good to have that extra day in Arusha for delayed luggage to (hopefully) catch up.

    If anyone would like more information about the orphanage, their website is You can schedule a visit with them if you are in the area. The schools were on break when we were there, but Geytighi Primary School is next door and welcomes visits, as well, if they are in session. If you go to the website's "Photographs" section, Mole is the little guy in the big green shirt.

  • Report Abuse


    After two days of cultural visits, it was time to get back on a game drive. On Sunday, June 24, we made our way down into the Crater, passing large herds of hartebeests and zebras. The clouds hung low on the Crater rim and, in some places, hung over the edge like cotton candy. Some Maasai were bringing their goats and cattle into the Crater. The alkaline lakes provide much-needed minerals for their livestock, but they can’t stay overnight.

    The guides took us to a new pool to which the hippos seem to have migrated. They weren’t doing their usual barrel rolls, though. Flamingos were also in the pool and on the main lake. There were large herds of zebras and wildebeests on the Crater floor. We spotted a couple of cheetahs, but they were quite some distance away. Apparently, there are only 10 cheetahs left in the Crater. We had much more luck with lions. We found a lioness with two small cubs that had not yet been introduced into the pride. In fact, there were lions everywhere: two here, four there, another four, another two… At the picnic spot, we watched the hippos in the lake, then were thrilled when a bull elephant with huge tusks crossed the shallows behind them…Kodak moment!

    The NCA is supposed to have started enforcing the half-day visit rule on July 1. I can’t imagine how anyone will be able to see the Crater in a half-day visit. I don’t know how it will work for those staying off the Crater rim such as at the Farmhouse, given that the NCA gate doesn’t open until 6am and the half day visits are supposed to run 6am to Noon and Noon to 6pm. If visitors do two half-day visits, will the rule accomplish its goal of taking some of the pressure off the Crater’s environment?

  • Report Abuse


    As was usual with our guide Peter, we got an early start, leaving the Farmhouse early so that we could have lunch in camp. We stopped at Oldupai Gorge (doing my part to correct the spelling!) and were briefed by a museum employee. I’m always fascinated by the cast of the Laitoli tracks. We weren’t able to go to the spot where Mary Leakey found the ancient skull, as there were researchers onsite. Rumor has it that they have found another skull. We made a brief stop at the Shifting Sands, a moving dune out on the plain. Lions were on hand to greet us after we passed through the Naabi Hill gate. There were lots of gazelles and some wildebeests and zebras, as well.

    When I started planning this trip over a year ago, I had chosen a campsite near the junction of the Western Corridor and the Central area, Hembe. A couple of months before we left, Kibo said that we were now scheduled for Kubukubu, which was closer to the Seronera area, but still accessible to the Western Corridor. When I had been in the Serengeti in June 2004, we missed the Migration because our camp was at Rongai 2, south of Seronera. Now I found out that our campsite had been moved to…Rongai 2! I wasn’t happy about that, but I really should have known by then that Kibo was taking good care of us. As it happened, the Migration was SOUTH of Seronera, near the Moru Kopjes. They moved right through our campsite area while we were there. Kibo was able to slot us into that campsite at the last minute, which was great!

    After having a late lunch and settling into our tents, we went out on a game drive. It actually began to rain a bit, so we closed the top hatches of the vehicles. Naturally, we spotted a lioness in a tree with a herd of wildebeests approaching. We peeled those hatches open fast! You could see her dilemma as the herd stopped right under her tree…”Food, food, everywhere and not a bite to eat!” She couldn’t get down without scattering the herd, and might have even gotten attacked. On the way back to camp, we found a leopard sleeping in a tree, which thrilled my sister. We didn’t see a single leopard on the 2004 trip.

    I woke up in the middle of the night with the strange sensation that something was gently poking me on the left side. I jumped up and looked through my blankets, but found nothing. I thought, “Larium dreams!”

  • Report Abuse


    We headed out the next morning for the Moru Kopjes. My sister’s increasing nausea kept her in camp for the morning. We soon found ourselves in the middle of the Migration, with vast herds of wildebeests and zebras surrounding us. I was surprised to see the Migration still so far south, but the rains lingered in the area well into June. Vultures were on several carcasses and we saw lions in the area, but they were all too full to do any hunting. We visited the Rhino center at the kopje, but didn’t see the beast itself. We saw the Maasai rock paintings, but only from our vehicle, as there were lions on the kopje. Gong Rock was lion-free, however, and we climbed up for a “rock concert.” On the afternoon drive, we followed a troop of baboons in the Seronera area, watching their antics. More lions were found on a rock kopje and also our tree-climbing lioness was back on her perch. Another lioness and some cubs were posing on a nearby log.

    The food at the mobile camp was wonderful. It always amazes me how these guys turn out such tasty and elegant meals out in the bush. We heard a lot of wildlife near our camp at night – elephants feeding, lions roaring, hyenas whooping, and wildebeests grunting. It was windy at night and the tent was flapping noisily, as well. Nights are never quiet in Africa!

    The next morning, we got up early to go to the Hippo Pool. We arrived before the crowds and enjoyed watching all their antics. What we thought was a battle between a couple of young hippos turned out to be “teenagers in love.” One big guy had obviously been in a fight, and had some nasty slashes on his side. On the way back to camp, we stopped to watch more baboons. One of our vehicles stopped under the trees…mistake! A couple of the ladies underwent a “baboon baptism.” On the afternoon drive, we had a great leopard sighting in a tree by the road. He was relaxed and posing for the cameras. Of course, a few dozen other vehicles were there, as well, and that concerned our guide. Apparently, the rangers take down license plate numbers of vehicles that may be disturbing animals and the outfitters can get in trouble. Given the relaxed nature of the leopard, he didn’t think there would be a problem.

  • Report Abuse


    For the third night in a row, I woke up with the sensation that something was poking me through the bedcovers. It was no dream; I could really feel it. The wind had lain down and I could hear skittering noises on the outside of the tent. Then, I heard them inside the tent. I jumped up, turned on my light, and saw what I thought was a mouse on the tent wall. I chased it out a grommet hole, then plugged it up. A few minutes later, I heard it again. Now, I saw another one trying to get OUT the hole I just plugged! I got a good look at it this time and saw that it was an elephant shrew. The little buggers had been snuggling with me for three nights! The next night I taped up the grommet holes, stuffed socks where the zippers came together, and finally got a full night’s sleep. Elephants? Great! Elephant shrews? No thanks!

    We had seen LOTS of lions, but no cheetahs, so we headed for the Simba Kopjes to see if we could spot some. What we saw were…lions. One lioness had fun scattering a herd of Tommies trying to get to a waterhole for a drink. In the afternoon, we drove northwest of camp to a rarely traveled plain and saw a huge herd of elands, but still no cheetahs. Once again, we saw a lioness in a tree (third time.) I wonder if all the lions around the Migration might have caused the cheetahs to move out of the area. This was our last night in camp and the chef fixed traditional Tanzanian dishes. Each night around the campfire, Peter had shared with us some aspect of Tanzania: its people, customs or wildlife. Now it was our turn to share our thoughts and impressions. Yes, we have nine more Africa addicts!

    Four of the ladies were scheduled for the hot air balloon trip our last morning. Hearing a “HALLOOO!” one lady got up and started to get ready. Then, she realized it was only 2:30am. When she heard the “greeting” a second time, she realized it was a hyena, not her wake-up call. The ballooners had a great ride and bush breakfast. They finally saw a cheetah from the air. The rest of us took a game drive and saw a large male lion on a freshly killed wildebeest with vultures and jackals waiting nearby. We were flying out of Seronera to Arusha and met the ballooners at the airstrip. My sister was quite ill by this time, and we debated staying in Arusha and seeing a doctor there. Phone calls to our German contact in Zanzibar convinced us to go on there, however.

  • Report Abuse

    Good thing you all were fit enough to keep up with the unexpected Hadzabe hunt.

    Did you have to pay extra for the elephant shrew nightime companions? Or do they come compliments from Kibo?

    When you mention only 10 cheetah left in the crater is that because they are leaving by choice? Are lions killing them? Was any explanation given?

    That's a good lesson on the luggage, to look if the bag merely fell off the carousel. Hope the 5-day delay for the other bag did not cause too much inconvenience.

    I laughed out loud at the hyena Halooo wake up call for ballooning.

    Sorry your sister was ill. Did I see in another post that you thought it was the malerone? Your suggestion (I thought it was yours) of a malerone trial run before the trip is a good one.

    You mentioned the campsites. Are these Kibo campsites? Do you know how many they have? Do you have an approximate cost for using these?

  • Report Abuse

    The shrews were free, complements of the Serengeti NP.

    The campsites are designated areas in the National Park for mobile camps. You can't set up a camp just anywhere. Eben has them mapped out on his website,

    I'm not sure if the cheetah population in the Crater is increasing, decreasing, or remaining stable. There is a Cheetah Watch Campaign in Tanzania which seeks to identify individual cheetahs via photos taken by guests. I guess I won't have any to submit this year.

    Yes, it would be a good idea to have the baggage guys at JRO check outside to see if a missing bag might still be out there. We never thought of that! For the other lady, she borrowed a few tops and did some shopping in Arusha. Her travel insurance should cover her purchases. I think KLM was also supposed to pay her a certain amount, but I haven't heard if they ever did.

    Yes, my sister's and another of our traveler's nausea and dizziness was traced to the Malarone. Despite Scop patches, Dramamine, etc. their symptoms kept increasing. It was only after stopping the Malarone that those symptoms went away. They were tested for other problems, but none were found. My sister's body did not rid itself of the Malarone very fast, so she stayed sick for quite a while. In the other thread, I wasn't trying to discourage people from taking Malarone, only trying to point out that there are possible side effects that they should be aware of. While Malarone has fewer side effects than Larium, it's still possible to have them. In clinical trials, only 1% of persons taking Malarone as a prophylaxis had severe enough symptoms to stop taking it prematurely. That's a low percentage, but 2 of our 8 people taking it were in that category.

  • Report Abuse

    The final chapter until I can get photos online...


    ZanAir threw us a loop when they moved our flight from the Arusha Airport to Kilimanjaro AND moved up the flight time. Again, Kibo stepped in and saved the day. They were monitoring our departing flights and discovered the change. Realizing that we didn’t have time to get to JRO via road, they paid for five of us to fly to JRO from Arusha (four of us to Zanzibar and another lady to Nairobi.) I managed to fall when I stepped on the box that Regional Air had placed at the bottom of the plane’s steps. It flipped over and I went down, catching the railing under my arm. Despite the popping sounds I was hearing, I didn’t crack or break anything…just some strained and pulled muscles.

    We arrived in Zanzibar and were met by Ocean Tours Zanzibar’s Operations Manager, Nicole Engesser. She took us directly to the hospital that she uses and my sister saw two doctors (GP and ENT) and had blood and urine tests done. (Yes, we saw them take the syringe out of an unopened package.) She didn’t have malaria, wasn’t particularly dehydrated, and nothing else indicated, other than the Malarone she was taking. The doctor recommended stopping the Malarone and gave her a prescription for the nausea. The total bill was $43. The two ladies accompanying us were retired Navy nurses, so we felt like we had a couple of guardian angels with us.

    Our beach lodge was the Shooting Star Lodge on the northeast coast. Their sea view cottages are air conditioned, for which my sister was grateful. The lodge is perched on a cliff overlooking a small bay. The locals could be seen there at low tide, hunting for octopus, fishing, and farming seaweed. The rooms were comfortable and clean. The infinity pool up on the cliff had its own sandy beach and overlooked the ocean. I enjoyed two days of just doing nothing but reading and taking an occasional stroll on the beach. Breakfast and dinner were included and the food was good. I’ve stayed at Pongwe before and I would say that Shooting Star compares favorably to that resort…perhaps a bit better because of the AC and pool. Pongwe’s advantage would be their outstanding cuisine and being right down on the beach.

    On Monday, our guide Masoud and our driver picked us up and took us to a local spice farm for a tour. This was my third trip to Zanzibar and Masoud has been my guide each time. I can’t believe how I can never tell those spices apart! The tour always ends with a “Butterfly” up a coconut palm. Usually they name one “Spice Queen”, (whoever named the most spices correctly) but this time all four of us were dressed up as queens. We called ourselves the “Spice Girls” and danced the morning away. I especially enjoyed sampling some of the exotic fruit they grow there. We had lunch at Mangapwani Beach Club and then drove into Stone Town. After we checked in to the Tembo House, Masoud led three of us on a tour of Stone Town (my sister opted out.) The nurses had lived in Egypt and Morocco and Stone Town reminded them greatly of those places. The Zanzibar International Film Festival (ZIFF) and the accompanying music festival were in full swing while we were there, so the town was crowded with guests. After sundowners at the Serena, we had dinner at the Monsoon Restaurant.

    My sister and I flew out of Zanzibar early the next morning for Nairobi and our flights home (via Johannesburg…gotta love those frequent flier tickets!) Kennedy took good care of us, as my sister needed a bed instead of a tour. The YWCA had the town booked solid, but we got in at the Flora Hostel, a Catholic guest house for persons of faith. The nurses were on the late evening KLM flight out of Dar, so they had a free day in Stone Town. Rather than have them sitting around the Dar airport for hours, I had a driver meet them and take them to the Kili Hotel for a nice dinner. We’re now home and my sister is slowly recovering. Nothing has shown up on a multitude of tests, so it appears that it was the Malarone that she was reacting to…’nuff said about that.

    I truly enjoyed taking a group to Tanzania and introducing them to a very special corner of the world. Now my big decision is…where in Africa to go next?

  • Report Abuse

    I noticed that you changed your original lodging from Maramboi to Lake Burunge Tented Camp. Just wondering about your thoughts on these camps as we are planning on 2 nights at Maramboi. I'm getting a little concerned about the drive time into Tarangire. Thanks!

  • Report Abuse

    Maramboi Camp is a lot closer to the entrance of Tarangire, perhaps about 30 minutes away. The terrain is quite different, with palm trees instead of acacia woodlands and is close to the eastern shore of Lake Manyara. I think you'll enjoy it.

  • Report Abuse

    That's great Kibo came to the rescue with the flight changes. That's what you need an agent for and that's how you want them to act when a problem arises. Kudos Kibo.

    I am cringing at the thought of you flipping over the exit box. And popping sounds! You must have been terrified for a moment.

    The beach accommodations you describe appear to be lovely.

    Thanks for the camping info.

  • Report Abuse

    Yes, Kibo is a great safari outfitter. I think they have some of the best guides in Tanzania, as well. They aren't mentioned as often as Roy's and the others, but I would highly recommend them.

32 Replies |Back to top

Sign in to comment.